U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,121,816 times

Advertisements

Hello from across the pond,

Michael Moore (who I don't always like, but makes Americans at least think) is his recent movie (last year) suggested that the socialized health care system in the UK, may be a long term positive cultural effect of the British having to pull together and help each other during the World War II (food rationing, the horrible Blitz).

Now certainly the stories I've read about the World War II Blitz in London are truly inspiring and really are moving. As an American, it can make one realize that although 9/11 was horrible, what Britain had to go through from 1940-1942 (or so) was like ten times that much (just not nearly that all destruction all at once).

Do you think that indeed there were long lasting impacts of that experience on British policy and culture in terms of pulling together a couple generations later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM

14,217 posts, read 14,409,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Hello from across the pond,

Michael Moore (who I don't always like, but makes Americans at least think) is his recent movie (last year) suggested that the socialized health care system in the UK, may be a long term positive cultural effect of the British having to pull together and help each other during the World War II (food rationing, the horrible Blitz).

Now certainly the stories I've read about the World War II Blitz in London are truly inspiring and really are moving. As an American, it can make one realize that although 9/11 was horrible, what Britain had to go through from 1940-1942 (or so) was like ten times that much (just not nearly that all destruction all at once).

Do you think that indeed there were long lasting impacts of that experience on British policy and culture in terms of pulling together a couple generations later?
My understanding of the move to socialized health care was that it was influenced by two main factors.

The first was military necessity (or national security). When Britain mobilized in 1939, the army was horrified at the generally poor state of health of the recruits. No one had realized that one of the effects of the Depression on the population had been a low level of malnutrition for a large proportion of the population.

The second main factor was a tacit social understanding that, in asking the country to fight and to make the sacrifices needed, that there would be a payback after the war. That was why the Labour Party won a landslide victory in 1945.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or