Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times

Advertisements

Ok, so it's looking very likely that I will be visiting the land of my fathers in late October. I would like to hit a few spots in South Wales and North Wales and I was wondering about the rail/public transport system. It's been suggested to me that I rent a car for this trip because the public transportation between North and South Wales is not so great. The idea of driving on the wrong (or, uh, "other" ) side of the road through mountains kind of scares me. Of course if I need to drive I'll be able to adapt and overcome. So would you agree that a car rental in Wales is a better idea than relying on bus/rail?

Also at the end of October I imagine it will probably be a little chilly and rainy?

I also plan on hiking Mt. Snowdon. Any input on this? How long it usually takes and what sort of things I would encounter? I see there are several different trails up it.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 PM

294 posts, read 698,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Ok, so it's looking very likely that I will be visiting the land of my fathers in late October. I would like to hit a few spots in South Wales and North Wales and I was wondering about the rail/public transport system. It's been suggested to me that I rent a car for this trip because the public transportation between North and South Wales is not so great. The idea of driving on the wrong (or, uh, "other" ) side of the road through mountains kind of scares me. Of course if I need to drive I'll be able to adapt and overcome. So would you agree that a car rental in Wales is a better idea than relying on bus/rail?

Also at the end of October I imagine it will probably be a little chilly and rainy?

I also plan on hiking Mt. Snowdon. Any input on this? How long it usually takes and what sort of things I would encounter? I see there are several different trails up it.

Thank you in advance.
Car rental could be your best answer, I've drove through North Wales and some parts are not for the faint hearted.

They have just opened a new cafe on top of snowdon.

Here's a link for public transport.

Traveline Cymru

Old 07-24-2009, 02:13 PM

16,655 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Automatic cars are sometimes a bit harder to get from rental places, as stick shift is the norm.

I'd look to arrange that in advance.

I've driven through Wales on a number of occasions and the scenery is lovely, so the passenger will have a great time!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:24 PM

294 posts, read 698,850 times
El Rhino.

You might find this intresting.

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | North West Wales | £8.4m Snowdon summit cafe opens

Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,945 times
If it's still running at that time of year you could take the Snowdon Mountain Railway to the top and then walk down, or vice versa.

I rented a car last year in WV and drove through the mountains of western VA. Had a wonderful time. Just take it easy and you should be fine.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Absolutely rent a car! I went with my mother to her birthplace in the Rhondda Valley - there's really no other way to get around.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I have climbed Snowdon several times. It is a pretty easy ascent.

Climbed it once in early spring and there was still quite a lot of snow. Some clown was doing the climb in wellies I recommend proper boots

Helpful tip: in some places it is useful to make the locals aware that you are not English

Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 PM

250 posts, read 737,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post

Thank you in advance.
Where do you plan visiting in South Wales?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:37 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Just be careful about climbing Snowdon. On a nice day, it should be fine. But if the weather is bad, which it can be in even in the summer, it can be dangerous. We took the railway but half way up, you couldn't see more than 3 ft in front of you for the fog. If you can imagine, it was foggier than this:
Picasa Web Albums - Robin - Wales

As it says, that was the last picture I could get before it became so foggy, there was nothing for my camera to focus on, it was just a white sheet all around us.

It was also so cold you could see your breath (this was in August), it was raining and the winds were so strong, the train had to go back before reaching the top. They usually let people off the train at a mid point too but we were not allowed since the weather made it too dangerous. Total waste of time and money - and had we been walking, would have very life threatening. The weather can change very quickly and naturally, it can be completely different at the top than the bottom so be careful and be prepared. Take a map, compass, heavy coat, rain cover, etc.

As for driving, again, be careful... our sat nav took us on a one lane road which in itself is fine. But on one side there was a complete drop off and an earth wall on the other side. And then another car came in the opposite direction. And we got the cliff side. And it was wet and slippery. The wheels were centimeters from slipping off the edge. I nearly had a heart attack! Get the smallest car you can!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:23 AM

183 posts, read 395,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
As for driving, again, be careful... our sat nav took us on a one lane road which in itself is fine. But on one side there was a complete drop off and an earth wall on the other side. And then another car came in the opposite direction. And we got the cliff side. And it was wet and slippery. The wheels were centimeters from slipping off the edge. I nearly had a heart attack! Get the smallest car you can!
For anyone planning to drive in the UK, I'd also invest in a road atlas to use in addition to your sat nav. You can get a good atlas fairly cheaply from most larger garages, or newsagents. Sat nav is all well and good, but has been known to give dodgy decisions especially if it is the only navigation you have to follow. At least a road atlas you can have a look before you set off and get an idea of the class of roads you might encounter before sat nav thrusts you on them unexpectedly! Single track roads are always fun, and sods law you will meet something coming the other way at the furthest point from any passing place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom