U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:56 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,917,516 times

Advertisements

I used to live in St. Austell, Cornwall, England in 1973-1974 . Im seriously thinking of going back for a vacation and am wondering what drastic ways England or Cornwall has changed since then ? Im particularly interested in changes to the culture . Thanks for elaborating . Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,918,811 times
Well we don't have power cuts or bread shortages anymore, and men with shaved heads are the norm rather than a scary subculture. Women are wider than they used to be. Most the places I know now have several takeaways for every fish and chip shop in 1974, and most the corner shops have closed. Young men tend not to try and kill each other at football matches these days (with a couple of exceptions) and have moved onto town centres at weekends even though beer is over 3 a pint, and don't expect a white Christmas. Expect to see a lot more black and brown faces, although not so much in Cornwall. Most towns are now surrounded by ugly-box housing developments miles from the nearest shop or pub, with hordes of bored teenagers. Dad's Army is still being repeated!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 AM

183 posts, read 348,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Well we don't have power cuts or bread shortages anymore, and men with shaved heads are the norm rather than a scary subculture. Women are wider than they used to be. Most the places I know now have several takeaways for every fish and chip shop in 1974, and most the corner shops have closed. Young men tend not to try and kill each other at football matches these days (with a couple of exceptions) and have moved onto town centres at weekends even though beer is over 3 a pint, and don't expect a white Christmas. Expect to see a lot more black and brown faces, although not so much in Cornwall. Most towns are now surrounded by ugly-box housing developments miles from the nearest shop or pub, with hordes of bored teenagers. Dad's Army is still being repeated!!!
Ever thought of a job with the tourist board?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:45 PM

14,248 posts, read 14,134,918 times
I think Hengist has summed things up nicely.

If St. Austell is like much of the rest of the country then as Hengist mentioned towns are blighted by our bizarre drink culture.

The Eden Project isn't far away- not been but I want to.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,338,253 times
Quote:
What a truly great post!!!

I'll add in - no half pennies, food has improved and Coronation street is still on.
I miss corner shops, especially the jars of sweets, I loved getting a quarter mixed with my pocket money.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:00 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,917,516 times
Quote:
Thanks for the summation. I understand theres a nasty Mail Strike going on right now (?) How long has that been going on ? It sounds like Alchoholism has taken its toll on the UK and continues to ; whats the hard drug situation like such as Cocaine and Meth ? Are handguns a runaway problem ? Gangs in smaller communities or only large cities ? Whats it cost for Cod and Chips at the local Fish Shop and do they still douse it with Malt Vinegar ? Used to LOVE that . Thanks for what you can share for Britain overall, and particularly Cornwall.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 PM

2,877 posts, read 3,300,539 times
PVC windows everywhere lol

Old 11-13-2009, 04:24 PM

2,877 posts, read 3,300,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Thanks for the summation. I understand theres a nasty Mail Strike going on right now (?) How long has that been going on ? It sounds like Alchoholism has taken its toll on the UK and continues to ; whats the hard drug situation like such as Cocaine and Meth ? Are handguns a runaway problem ? Gangs in smaller communities or only large cities ? Whats it cost for Cod and Chips at the local Fish Shop and do they still douse it with Malt Vinegar ? Used to LOVE that . Thanks for what you can share for Britain overall, and particularly Cornwall.
Meth is non existant here and hard drugs are a minor issue. As are handguns (i've never even seen one). Yes you can still get cod and chips- About 3.50 - 4 I reckon? I don't eat fish much.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 AM

10 posts, read 22,678 times
Milkshakes are thicker now.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,739,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Meth is non existant here and hard drugs are a minor issue. As are handguns (i've never even seen one). Yes you can still get cod and chips- About 3.50 - 4 I reckon? I don't eat fish much.
Meth is available here but hasn't taken grip anywhere near on a US level yet. It's known as 'ICE' and whilst it is a growing problem it is nowhere near the main drug of choice. Crack Cocaine 'stone, white or pipe hardy' is still number 1 in inner city areas and similar to the States use has decreased since the 90's when violent crime and gun crime imparticular reached a peak here, causing the police in London to set up OPERATION TRIDENT to try and counter the surge in Yardie(Jamaican) and London street gangs shooting it out in turf wars that were located mainly in the most deprived inner city areas of our country.

Cocaine(of the powdered nose variety, called Charlie or lemon here) is by far the recreational drug of choice and the average user could just as easily be a blue collar builder downing a few pints as it could a middle-class hipster or high flying banker. In fact in scientific tests the percentage of notes with coke traces found on them was nearly a high a percentage as the recent test in New York.

Be prepared to hear a bizarre Jamaican/Cockney,Regional/US rap type patwa that began with the early 90's rave scene and has ingrained itself on not just urban culture but middle-upper class kids too who much like the wannabe Eminem style Orange County "I'm pretty fly for a white guy" gangbanger want to be seen as "coming fwom da stweet innit"(not spelling mistake, actual pronounciation of the kind of 'urban' vernacular commonplace in our major cities alongside still prominent but invariably slightly less so in City areas, regional accents like the Cockney of London. Cornwall's West Country brogue is as distinct as ever however.

Fish and chips are still great and the price range of 3.50-4.00 is about right I'd say. The main difference between the US and here though is that living in major cities or surrounding suburbs you tend to get more spillover of inner city problems played out on a smaller scale due to social housing(Govt.Housing) often being more spread out since the demolition of many high rise tower blocks in cities like London. However, though these things do occur here I wouldn't say drugs or violence are a problem that seriously inteferes with the average Englishman's life if they don't take drugs, mix or live in areas that do. Even when passing through areas with high amount of gangs such as Brixton or Camden intimidating gangs operate openly but mostly can be easily ignored.

Gentrification has taken place here to a smaller degree and to sum things up without going on forever, England has alot of the problems the US has, but on a far more modest scale. The major cities have seen intense levels of immigration but countryside areas such as Cornwall that have changed the least, even if bored teenagers, drink and drugs do infect even small areas of nearby Plymouth. All in all though, it's the towns and cities that have radically changed due to large swathes of mass immigration combined with gentrification. Not beyond recognition or as quickly and fiercely as areas like Hell's Kitchen NY but certainly substantial enough for huge demographic shifts to have altered the landscape of our towns and cities beyond recognition. But country life is still here as are the luscious green spaces, beautiful pubs and friendly villages. Best of luck.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 11-17-2009 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom