U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 PM

9 posts, read 15,729 times

Advertisements

As an American I must agree that in this nation we are kept from so much knowledge about the world and legal concepts that it is scary.

I have brought up time and time again that British Subjectship which today I understand is a term that is not used unter international law trumps all other nation's citizenship.

It is my understanding that in fact by being born to a Kenyan father who was born at the time of Kenya being a Crown Colony this makes President Obama a British Subject by blood according to the Nationality Act of 1948. Citizenship in international law is chauvenist as it passes through the father.

The addendum to this law meant that after January 1, 1983 you became a British Subject for life if you were born under the Nationality Act of 1948. The only way this could be remedied is by officially renouncing your Subjectship and becoming a citizen of another nation.

Our President did no such thing and American law would prevent this as one would have to be born an American to American parents to become President.

All of this garbage in England about Obama and Gordon Brown reminds me of two spoiled brats. Both of them by law answer to the Queen don't they? If Obama is a British Subject under feudal law would he not be bound by fieldty to his Sovereign? That is why I call him Governor General not President Obama.

While in America Americans who oppose Obama are called birthers or nutjobs I understand that in Britian newspapers and editorials have already made jokes about Obama's British Subjectship. Why isnt this obvious in America?

I read somewhere about that because the land of the United States was given by Royal Charter technically the Charter of a King does not expire. What do you think? Should the United States and Canada get over this idea of "supposed" Sovereignty and admit the Crowns the boss?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 AM

4,663 posts, read 7,125,215 times
What utter and complete nonsense. Obama is an American first and foremost by being born in Hawaii - as I'm sure you are aware is the 50th state. He is therefore an American citizen.

Members of countries that are part of the commonwealth are not automatically granted British citizenship, or even residency - its still difficult even if they apply. 'President' Obama is your democratically elected President regardless of what you believe - and has zero accountability to the British monarch. I think may be confusing the term 'subject' with 'citizen'?

The British press are under no such disillusions about Obama's birth place or presidential legitimacy - maybe you came across some trash mag that you may think is a credible news source here?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,980,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
What utter and complete nonsense. Obama is an American first and foremost by being born in Hawaii - as I'm sure you are aware is the 50th state. He is therefore an American citizen.

Members of countries that are part of the commonwealth are not automatically granted British citizenship, or even residency - its still difficult even if they apply. 'President' Obama is your democratically elected President regardless of what you believe - and has zero accountability to the British monarch. I think may be confusing the term 'subject' with 'citizen'?

The British press are under no such disillusions about Obama's birth place or presidential legitimacy - maybe you came across some trash mag that you may think is a credible news source here?
LOL. If people think he's not american because of his dad's nationality -- what about ALL first generation Americans? Are they now NO LONGER American simply because they are eligible for citizenship in their parents country?

Last edited by minibrings; 11-18-2009 at 01:59 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 AM

337 posts, read 684,573 times
Wow...I guess I'm English...just 7 generations removed...

Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,827,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Smith302 View Post
I have brought up time and time again that British Subjectship which today I understand is a term that is not used unter international law trumps all other nation's citizenship.
Where have you heard that? As a dual national it's news to me. Who have you brought it up with time and time again, and why should we care? Strange discussion for a British forum.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:49 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,464,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Smith302 View Post
Our President did no such thing and American law would prevent this as one would have to be born an American to American parents to become President.
Rubbish. U.S. law states that one must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible to hold the office of president. This has been interpreted to mean that one must be born on U.S. soil. Whether or not that person's parents are American is immaterial. As you should know, the U.S. Constitution states that one is automatically a citizen by virtue of their birth in the U.S. -- a criteria the president meets. The other criteria for citizenship is that one parent is a U.S. citizen. Again, the president meets this criteria by virtue of his mother being a U.S. citizen.

The birthers are a cancer on the political dialogue in this country.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:33 PM
bjh

26,058 posts, read 22,780,245 times
This is a new twist on the issue to me. Some maintain he was born in Kenya because his mother was not allowed on a plane back to the US in an advanced state of pregnancy.

My dad's dad was born in Warwickshire. My dad could apply for dual citizenship I suppose, but have never heard his US citizenship could be challenged b/c grandad was British.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,139,390 times
Let's not feed the troll anymore, folks.........he'll get too fat to fit under his bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom