Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,469 times

Advertisements

That would be a fantastic plan. I my myself been traveling a lot and also with my job, I must stay for a year or 2 in other countries. After I retire perhaps, I will also be coming back in UK and settle there and enjoy my old days. Before you do your big move, better decide what place in UK you are going to settle in. Check if there are available works or jobs , projects that is within your chosen niche. Also try to check your relatives there, and should find a place you can be close with them.
Just enjoy the journey of our lives...

Cheers!!!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-21-2010 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: advertising removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 14,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Give up and stay put, England has a failing economy rife with crime. Even if you are being assaulted you can't defend yourself for fear of imprisonment. The British Government hates it's own people, so god knows what chance you have.
Upto this point, I agree with you.

Quote:
Pay for many jobs is so low that there must be the assumption that you are either thieving to make up you money or getting in to debt.
Someone has been watching far to much Jeremy Kyle. Yes, many get in debt but the majority don't steal.

Quote:
As for the image put over on TV, even films portraying the bad and run down areas of the UK Don’t tell the truth. We have areas that are no go areas for native English. Please don’t become a soft target, the UK is not a nice place.
I've lived here all my life. In Cities and towns and don't share the same opinion. Every country has its bad areas and I think it's very unfair of you to label the UK in that way.
I presume you are in a deprived area of a city enjoying your top floor flat view with comments like that.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:46 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee-innit View Post
Upto this point, I agree with you.

Someone has been watching far to much Jeremy Kyle. Yes, many get in debt but the majority don't steal.

I've lived here all my life. In Cities and towns and don't share the same opinion. Every country has its bad areas and I think it's very unfair of you to label the UK in that way.
I presume you are in a deprived area of a city enjoying your top floor flat view with comments like that.
The majority of people, maybe not, but that was not what I said.
If you read what I said, then you will see that was not the implication that I had given.

I don’t live in a top floor flat.
Maybe it’s you that is living a sheltered life.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
Actually, he's right on those points.

I live in a deprived area, it was the only flat I could get after my divorce.
Granted, it's getting better, but you don't want to go walking down many of the little lanes down here at night.
We have drugs, alcohol, anti social teenagers, we have had the odd shooting, a goodly amount of stabbings, arson, burglary, and car crime.
Most of the population are unemployed, and unemployable, there are single mothers, with multiple children, to multiple fathers, these children are pretty much doomed, and will go on to enjoy equal, or worse misery as adults.

There are much worse places in Edinburgh, Dundee, and Glasgow I could mention.
As an ex professional driver, there are many places I've driven to which I think would fit this description.

Some areas of Manchester, and Liverpool for example. i gather some areas of Bootle aren't the kind of place you want to break down alone !

As a native of the UK who's lived here for over 40 years, then, yes, I agree, the UK is not such a nice place. It has gone noticeably downhill, and that's not something I see changing any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee-innit View Post

Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Actually, he's right on those points.

I live in a deprived area, it was the only flat I could get after my divorce.
Granted, it's getting better, but you don't want to go walking down many of the little lanes down here at night.
We have drugs, alcohol, anti social teenagers, we have had the odd shooting, a goodly amount of stabbings, arson, burglary, and car crime.
Most of the population are unemployed, and unemployable, there are single mothers, with multiple children, to multiple fathers, these children are pretty much doomed, and will go on to enjoy equal, or worse misery as adults.

There are much worse places in Edinburgh, Dundee, and Glasgow I could mention.
As an ex professional driver, there are many places I've driven to which I think would fit this description.

Some areas of Manchester, and Liverpool for example. i gather some areas of Bootle aren't the kind of place you want to break down alone !

As a native of the UK who's lived here for over 40 years, then, yes, I agree, the UK is not such a nice place. It has gone noticeably downhill, and that's not something I see changing any time soon.

Sorry to hear of your situation bobman.
Sometimes people can be really offensive with thoughtless comments.
I hope it didn’t seem as though I thought it a bad thing to live in a flat.
I was just stating my case as it is.

There are many towns in the north, and some areas of the south that have many of these problems, and I have driven through a number of them.
The fact that I am here to write this proves that I didn’t stop to ask for directions.

Some times you can only get the truth from experience.
Being naive can be a very dangerous thing.

Good to see well made and balanced arguments.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:55 AM

210 posts, read 502,404 times
England is an amazing place, but like most countries in the world (including America) - IT IS NOT PERFECT. All this wah-wah-wah-ing about how "*grumpgrump* Britain aint Britain no mo'!" is a load of bull alongside the notion that you cannot defend yourself against someone attacking you.

My advice is, if you're wanting to move to England, than move somewhere VERY close to London, but do not move INTO London. Commute for work, you'll be much better off that way.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM

What a great thing hindsight would have been!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom