Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times

Advertisements

Well after all the promises from my husband that the UK had much milder winters, very little snow, etcetera . . . . here I am, first winter in the UK (Northamptonshire) and it is a gorgeous fluffy white outside. The papers and news are announcing the snowiest winter in a generation. (I know it's an unusual winter but I confess: I LOVE SNOW!!! I think it is so beautiful!! **sigh**

Where are you in the UK, are you getting lots of snow and are you loving it or . . . ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Lots of snow here in Oxfordshire and everything looks stunning. I personally love snow BUT having walking difficulties also find it quite difficult to get around...

I have been here for over 21 years now and this is by far the most snow I have ever seen in the UK.

My Garden is gorgeous, covered under a deep fluffy blanket of the white stuff and the birds are appreciating the seeds, nuts and fatty balls we put out even more.

The UK is not really used to those weather conditions ( what ?!?!? snow in winter ?!?!?! ) and the country always seems to grind to a halt , schools closed etc... I grew up in Germany and Austria and despite metres of snow I sadly never had a "snow day" in my life...

My husband was due to go to London today but couldn't even get the car out of the garage let alone get to the trains, most of which are not running today anyway...

It is so beautiful though, and so rare I am quite enjoying it. Until all hell breaks loose and we lose electricity, run out of gas ( as someone was saying on the BBC last night) for heating and food supplies run low...

Not one of my neighbours is at work today, all the cars are still parked there covered in thick snow.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Yes, its very pretty. Lots of snow in Windsor which has made the long walk and castle look stunning. Its a little irritating how easily we get whipped up into a frenzy though - you'd swear the apocalypse was upon us!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM

116 posts, read 256,010 times
Love it! So nice to see all the kids out having fun, and a really nice atmosphere around the city too. It's like England just won a world cup game!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
I love snow unless I have to drive in it. The amount of snow we've had is unusual for England so I would not expect it to continue in following years. I guess it depends whether it's a fluke or Global Warming though. To be honest, I'm a bit worried what Global Warming is doing to the UK - the last 3 summers have been terrible - cold and rainy, I wore my winter coat at times! And now this freak amount of snow in the winter. I fear for the state of the Gulf Stream - if it's falling apart, the UK and much of Europe will wind up with similar weather to southern Alaska.

Everyone is saying how they can't remember the last time it snowed this much or it's been 10+ years since it's snowed this much. And it's so obvious no one is equipped to deal with it - there's people trying to drive sports cars in the snow and very few people seem to know how to drive in the snow. Plus, the council have been terrible about clearly roads. Some residental roads never even got cleared from the last time it snowed before Christmas! And now with this one, they didn't even attempt to grit or plow the main roads (I'm not even sure they have snow plows to begin with!).

Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman13 View Post
Love it! So nice to see all the kids out having fun, and a really nice atmosphere around the city too. It's like England just won a world cup game!

Gotta love the kids of England all out building.. uh wait a second!!
Attached Thumbnails
UK Residents - Loving the Snow?-p060110_15.20.jpg  

Old 01-06-2010, 01:08 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
Here in Stoke-on-Trent we haven't had too much snow (yet!) so it's not too much bother. What I don't like are the icy pavements we've had over the last week or so. I've never understood why pavements can't be gritted as well as roads. Yes, it would cost a lot but you'd get a lot less falls and broken bones and consequently less pressure on hospital A&E departments.

Is it correct that in Germany householders and shops are responsible for the pavements outside their homes and premises? I'd like to see that introduced here

Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
My Mum has been informing me that its very cold back in Scotland and they're having lots of snow. Freezing here too though.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
My Mum has been informing me that its very cold back in Scotland and they're having lots of snow. Freezing here too though.
Hope you manage to get back tomorrow Scotslass - the airport situation over here is rather dire!!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Gotta love the kids of England all out building.. uh wait a second!!
Too funny!!!! Leave it to the Brits eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom