Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Wow - what complete and utter nonsense. I guess I should just send my knowledge of the holocaust to the minds waste paper bin - I mean what use is it if it doesn't effect me? What about evolution, or the Roman Empire?? What do I care about global politics or geography when all I need to worry about is Britain's tax code???
I'm not trying to speak for bobman but that's not how I interpreted what he said. It seemed to me he was just saying that he personally doesn't have an interest in history or geography, not that it's completely useless to the entire world and every other individual. Some people, like me, really like history... some have no interest in history. No, that doesn't make them any less intelligent than me - for all I know, they could be very well educated in some other field of knowledge in which I am completely ignorant. And even though an overall poor education in all subjects is undesirable, it doesn't mean every individual has to be highly educated in every single subject to be respected.

Personally, I feel about math how bobman feels about history. Who cares? Beyond the very, very basics it's completely useless to me personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm not trying to speak for bobman but that's not how I interpreted what he said.
ditto.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 AM

739 posts, read 2,262,195 times
I got cussed out on a train in scotland when I was a little boy. The man then said "all you americans are the same you talk too much"

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Then you went to a lousy school. I took European History in high school (although much of that course focused on Greek and Roman history), and my civics class included instruction on the British and Soviet systems of government.

But it is true to say that many Americans don't think much of the world outside her borders. I think it's partly a function of being a continental nation, partly a function of being a military and economic superpower, and partly a function of folks believing the crap that's been fed to them about how great we supposedly are.

When watching the BBC, I'm struck by how much of the international news coverage is from commonwealth nations and countries that used to be part of the British Empire. The U.S. has never been an empire, so perhaps that makes it easier to be insular. Just a guess on my part.
No, I did not go to a lousy school. I went to a very good school. World history was optional. Everything required was American History, American Politics, etc. Maybe schools have expanded the program now but I graduated from high school in 1970.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
I got cussed out on a train in scotland when I was a little boy. The man then said "all you americans are the same you talk too much"
LOLOL - cranky old man and you were too chatty huh?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
Quote:
I somewhat agree, I'm just saying I don't know where these stereotypes come from. But this kind of confirms how there is a double standard on this issue. It's okay for a non-American to not know or care about history or geography but if an American said these things, it would be proof of how ignorant and unworldly we are - on the internet at least. I find anti-Americanism is rampant on the net but never encountered it in real life. And frankly, I find a lot of anti-Americanism on the internet is coming from the Americans themselves - as though ashamed themselves.

But I can't tell you how many blank stares I get when I tell people I'm from "Pennsylvania" (it's either a blank stare or a joke like "Is that like TRANSylvania?!"). No one holds it against them but I have started saying "Philadelphia" instead. At which point their main reference is the Rocky movies, they still often have no concept of where exactly Philadelphia is on the map so if they ask, I tell them it's about a 2 hour drive south of NYC. So my conclusion is that neither country is more educated or cultured than the other.
I'm not sure where it comes from, I guess every nation just wants to be the best, and "score points" from others.
Trouble is, when it comes to academia, it's not a level playing field, because we don't learn the same things.

Of course Americans should learn about America, after all, it's their country, but why should they need to know in detail about the rest of the world ?
Same applies to British children.
It's important to know some of our heritage, and how our nation is composed, and ruled, but, in the grander scale of things, not so important we can name every state, or every president of a country thousands of miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Wow - what complete and utter nonsense. I guess I should just send my knowledge of the holocaust to the minds waste paper bin - I mean what use is it if it doesn't effect me? What about evolution, or the Roman Empire?? What do I care about global politics or geography when all I need to worry about is Britain's tax code???
It interests you, so therefore it's of value to you.
I couldn't care less, so it's of no value to me. What's your problem ?

I commend you for your studies, but, I have my own areas of interests, which I read and learn about, because the information is of value to me.

Basic education is a necessity for the world. If you wish to take that further, and study it in detail, that's a choice. you chose the holocaust, I didn't.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
High school? Heck, I remember learning about Henry VIII and Greek Mythology in 7th grade (and I'm sure we studied more than that, those are just the bits I remembered because I found them the most interesting). By high school, we were studying middle eastern history/current events. We also covered the basics of all major religions. The only area I don't remember covering was Asian history.

My 10 year old cousin is currently reading The Iliad in school! Granted, she's going to a private school but still... most Americans I know have gotten a half decent education in history.

People say the same thing about geography too but I specifically remember having to memorize the location of every single country on the planet. Of course it was done in parts, by continent or specific area of the world at a time. And I'm sure I don't remember it all now... but I can't fault the school system, we certainly learned it.

I know that's not the case for everyone but when I first learned about these American stereotypes I was honestly confused about where they came from because I don't think I know anyone who defines them.
And you graduated from high school when? There is a whole generation of baby boomers, like myself, who went to school in the 50's and 60's and everything focused on the US as though it was the centre of the universe and no place else counted.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
And you graduated from high school when? There is a whole generation of baby boomers, like myself, who went to school in the 50's and 60's and everything focused on the US as though it was the centre of the universe and no place else counted.
I didn't realize we were discussing a specific generation. I already agreed my experiences are not everyone's. But even those in my life of an older generation have at least a basic education in world history.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize we were discussing a specific generation. I already agreed my experiences are not everyone's. But even those in my life of an older generation have at least a basic education in world history.
I learned about the rest of the world as I got older and became curious. My bookshelves are filled with history books now.

But in school I feel I missed out. I've talked to many baby boomers who feel they were cheated as well.

I'm gobsmacked at the number of people who think Africa is a country. I had a colleague ask me once if Sweden was in Russia.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I'm gobsmacked at the number of people who think Africa is a country. I had a colleague ask me once if Sweden was in Russia.
I've honestly never met anyone like that, of any generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom