Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
give them biscuits and gravy they'll be confused!
Well, American "biscuits" look like English scones and American "scones" look like English rock cakes so, yes, I imagine they would be confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Isn't Jello just the American word for jelly?
We've had the confusion at my house. To Americans, Jello is a brand name but it's become the general term for a dessert that is a flavored gel, artificially colored and flavored. It jiggles. Other than having it in a hospital because it slides down your throat, I don't think too many people eat it. To us, jelly is akin to jam but it's made from the clear juice of the jam with no fruit pieces in it.

I would be confused by bisquits and gravy too, although I've heard of it here on CD. Something they eat in the American South. Too many calories for me. But the word "bisquits" would be even more confusing to a Brit because bisquits are our cookies.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We've had the confusion at my house. To Americans, Jello is a brand name but it's become the general term for a dessert that is a flavored gel, artificially colored and flavored. It jiggles. Other than having it in a hospital because it slides down your throat, I don't think too many people eat it. To us, jelly is akin to jam but it's made from the clear juice of the jam with no fruit pieces in it.

I would be confused by bisquits and gravy too, although I've heard of it here on CD. Something they eat in the American South. Too many calories for me. But the word "bisquits" would be even more confusing to a Brit because bisquits are our cookies.
Its these little differences that make the world more interesting - Jelly in the UK is more often than not eaten by children, or its used as part of another dessert ie trifle, pudding is a word that many Brits use to mean 'dessert'.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its these little differences that make the world more interesting - Jelly in the UK is more often than not eaten by children, or its used as part of another dessert ie trifle, pudding is a word that many Brits use to mean 'dessert'.
Agreed. And next time dh comes in and asks me what's for tea, I'm going to pour him a cup of tea.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:24 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Other than having it in a hospital because it slides down your throat, I don't think too many people eat it.
I'd agree not too many adults eat but as a kid, I regularly ate Jello and so did most kids I knew - I grew up in PA.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
I find the whole gravy thing confusing. I at first thought that americans poured gravy over biscuits, then I thought that it was chocolate sauce over scones. Im totally confused.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I find the whole gravy thing confusing. I at first thought that americans poured gravy over biscuits, then I thought that it was chocolate sauce over scones. Im totally confused.
That's because American biscuits are not the same thing as scones. They look similar and the texture is similar but scones are sweet whereas American biscuits are not, which is why gravy (not chocolate sauce) is suitable to put on them whereas scones usually have something sweet on them like jam and cream (or chocolate sauce). However, gravy on biscuits is a very southern thing - where I come from (Pennsylvania) people typically just put butter on their biscuits.

Biscuits and gravy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)

We certainly don't put gravy on "cookie" type biscuits.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
So the "Biscuits" are essentially a dinner meal and not a dessert. Hmm

Well anyhow. I just find it odd putting gravy over anything that is supposed to be a dessert. Ewww boke.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:

Well anyhow. I just find it odd putting gravy over anything that is supposed to be a dessert. Ewww boke.
There's a restaurant near my house that serves biscuits (your scones) and they top it with smoked sausage gravy if you want lol. I never ordered it. Biscuits should only come with butter and jam, IMO, lol.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:

No, it's not a dessert. They can actually be served for breakfast too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom