Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,440 times

Advertisements

sorry for my grammar and punctuation beforehand. im 14 almost 15. im not on very good terms with my school at the moment because of some issues that are technicly legal but unfair and discriminatory. but my school isnt the issue now. my family is forced to move when my grandpa passes and we have to sell it when he passes. we are currently living off of child support that we rarely get and my grandpas social security checks. he is living comfortably though weak. my mom has some problems from the past that US goverment wont let us get past. she was recently released from jail on charges of not going to a required class that having a job got in the way of. my mom wants to move to colorado when we move but i know for a fact it will be the same things different place. i want to move to the UK because from what ive read and heard it much safer than in LA. i even heard the hardest gangbangers dont even carry guns. ive met 5th graders that carry guns over here. i think that we can get a real restart since my mom came out of prison notably more intelligent and more polite. she doesnt even need to smoke ciggarettes anymore. im confident she can get a respectable job where we wont be discriminated against because people wont see us as insurance liabilities if were not in a place that the police are afraid of. i really need to know things like how can i convince my mom that the UK is a good opportunity, how hard would it be to get citizenship over there, do the people look down on americans and things like will mexicans with tattoos and not much formal education be discriminated against even if we can do the job with more ethic than most white people we've met? these things are really important because i need to know if this will work out. im sorry this is so long but i think internet people wont understand my situation without some backstory. if you dont understand my writing please be nice about it and just ask me to elaborate. i will, gladly.

ps. i think education in a real school will help my learning. im top of my class right now so i know its not me thats the problem in my education. the teachers dont care because as i understand it the goverment pays the schools that dont need it and cut money from the ones that need help.

pps. im not a trouble maker or gangbanger or nothing. the only times ive ever fought was in defense of myself, which i only had to do once, and in defense of the kids that refuse to fight a gangbanger over stupid things that they didnt do.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 AM

also, im sorry for my late hours, its the only time i can get to a computer

Old 03-13-2010, 04:12 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Unfortunately, unless you have family here, your mother has at least BA degree (and an employer in the UK already lined up) or she can work in a job on the shortage list, it's extremely unlikely that she could get a visa to live and work in the UK. UK immigration laws are just as strict as those in the US unless you are an EU citizen. If she does obtain a visa, you'll have to live in the UK for a minimum of I think 5 years before you are eligible for citizenship.

Also, don't forget how expensive it is to move to another country - not only are there non-refundable application fees for visas which aren't cheap, the cost of moving all your belongings over can be expensive as well. Not to mention, the cost of living is often higher in the UK than in the US.

You also need to understand that discrimination unfortunately happens in all countries. So does crime and poor school systems. I admire your desire and determination to find a better place for your family and I don't wish you to get discouraged from that but I don't think the UK in particular is an option for you.

But assuming she has a BA, this would be the information you need to look into: UK Border Agency | Tier 2 (General)
Be aware that even if she meets all the eligibility requirements, it does not assure she'll be granted a visa.

Here is the job shortage list:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/workingintheuk/shortageoccupationlist.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-13-2010, 04:16 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
It is not possible for a US citizen to move to the UK unless they qualify for a work permit - a college degree in science, engineering or medicine offers the best chance. If you are looking for a fresh start best to focus on other locales within the US - good luck.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:25 AM

thank you for actually being kind and we dont have many belongings that would be able to go with us. i myself only have 6 or 7 shirts and a bunch of baggy khakis that dont fit my cousin anymore. idoubt she has a BA degree but ill be sure to check the shortage list

EDIT: i just checked out the shortage list and can do and has done several of those jobs. im not sure that she has 3 or more years expeirience in cooking but she did win an award for her pastry cooking in jail. she has expeirience in overseeing care of the elderly and personaly taking care of the elderly. she dealt with my brother and i all by herself so i think she can do special needs education. im be sure to show her the list and i hope we have a pretty good shot

Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving califas View Post
thank you for actually being kind and we dont have many belongings that would be able to go with us. i myself only have 6 or 7 shirts and a bunch of baggy khakis that dont fit my cousin anymore. idoubt she has a BA degree but ill be sure to check the shortage list

EDIT: i just checked out the shortage list and can do and has done several of those jobs. im not sure that she has 3 or more years expeirience in cooking but she did win an award for her pastry cooking in jail. she has expeirience in overseeing care of the elderly and personaly taking care of the elderly. she dealt with my brother and i all by herself so i think she can do special needs education. im be sure to show her the list and i hope we have a pretty good shot
Be aware that the shortage list may still require that she has more qualifications than just "experience" in these fields. Caring for the elderly, for example, requires "at least a relevant S/NVQ level 2 or equivalent qualification in care". NVQ stands for National Vocational Qualifications and you can read more about level 2 here: Level 2 NVQ

I'm not sure you're understanding the requirements needed to qualify for these jobs.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
I'm not sure winning an award for pastry cooking in prison is going to get your mum top of the list of applicants for living in any country. We are more used to exporting our convicts to the other side of the world. But you sound like a very genuine and nice young man. As the USA has proved such a disappointment, have you considered returning to Mexico?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM

79 posts, read 76,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
I'm not sure winning an award for pastry cooking in prison is going to get your mum top of the list of applicants for living in any country. We are more used to exporting our convicts to the other side of the world. But you sound like a very genuine and nice young man. As the USA has proved such a disappointment, have you considered returning to Mexico?
Mexico is worse in that sense. I would honestly recommend she aimed to relocate to a more suitable part of the US, e.g. New England or the Northeast US in general. LA isn't somewhere I'd choose to live either. However, other US cities aren't so crime ridden and full of gangbangers who strive to be in MS-13 (or just the wannabes).

Old 03-13-2010, 11:12 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Sorry, but I doubt your mother can get a visa when she has a criminal record. Might need to wait until you grow up and are on your own.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:07 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Sorry, but I doubt your mother can get a visa when she has a criminal record. Might need to wait until you grow up and are on your own.

Yeh I was gonna say - having a criminal conviction would make it even harder. I would repeat what somebody above has already stated - finish school, go to university and then try moving if your still interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom