Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,333 times

Advertisements

That's true, poverty is universal in Bradford and the truth is there are just as many poor white areas in Bradford, Manchester, Liverpool and in places like the North East that are largely the preserve of the white population. Britain isn't racist but it is a society that has abandoned manufacturing and the kind of jobs that once kept alot of Northern England households in stable employment. The economy has been rebalanced towards highly-skilled manufacturing jobs, banking, the service and retail industries etc.. And if you don't have the right skills you're either left languishing in purgatory with a useless degree (there's a plethora of useless law degrees now too as this vocation becomes ridiculously overcrowded with potential applicants trying to find access to full-time employment) or left with the option of slaving away in a call centre or working some other dead end minimum wage job the most lucrative of will probably be selling clothes or stacking shelves at some local sshop or upermarket.

I don't think Britain is racist at all. It is generally one of the most tolerant countries in the world. It is far more predjudiced against anyone who hasn't got the right skills or education than racial composition. If you are an unskilled worker in Britain in 2010 then you're going to be pretty much up against it employment wise as well as excluded from forging out a decent living and lifestyle for yourself or the family you are trying to support.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 09-16-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 05:43 AM

174 posts, read 372,796 times
But the figure is much higher amongst people of Pakistani background. And they didn't come here, Hengist, to be unemployed but to work in the mills, as they were recruited to do when the area they lived in was flooded to make a dam.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
What mills? They closed decades ago. And yet people still arrive...today.

The title of this discussion is:
Would non-caucasian have less opportunities in UK?

The evidence suggests the second generation are doing fine thanks:
Ethnic pupils overtake white Britons for first time at 16 | Mail Online

And as for whether some come here to work or claim benefits, why does the unemployment rate among Somalians in some areas run as high as 90%?
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Somalis' struggle in the UK
Is it lack of opportunities provided by nasty racist Britain? Or are there other factors?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
What mills? They closed decades ago. And yet people still arrive...today.

The title of this discussion is:
Would non-caucasian have less opportunities in UK?

The evidence suggests the second generation are doing fine thanks:
Ethnic pupils overtake white Britons for first time at 16 | Mail Online

And as for whether some come here to work or claim benefits, why does the unemployment rate among Somalians in some areas run as high as 90%?
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Somalis' struggle in the UK
Is it lack of opportunities provided by nasty racist Britain? Or are there other factors?
Because they find it almost impossible to get employment, obviously. The Somalis in Cardiff are certainly excellent people. The problem is highly likely to be that, like the people in Bradford with the same problems, they are Muslims, being regularly traduced in a tory press that seems to want to drag us back into the Middle Ages (where they seem to live).

Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
And yet they still choose to come here. Maybe they know something you don't.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
I think what we're really seeing, not to different from the US border states regards Mexicans, is that Brits for the most part aren't hard-core racist but there are a lot of hostile attitudes towards the poor, the low-skilled, the lacking in proper English, and certainly those here illegally whether they are white, black, east-Asian, or Indo-Paki.

From personal experience, I had a work project for a couple of weeks in London 4 years ago and brought my African-American wife. Now she's medium-dark, has natural hair, really stands out at 5'11" in a white crowd and was not with me (I'm white) most of the time as I was working. She told me people were polite, helpful, and was left with a good impression of the British people (although she hated the weather compared to SE Texas ... way too cold and wet). Not a single problem and she's pretty sensitive and busts me for saying "colored" which my parents taught me in the 60s was the "nice" way to speak to black people. Now the difference might be that my wife speaks standard English, has an engineering degree, and gives people the benefit of the doubt at least until they utter some sort of rubbish.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
And yet they still choose to come here. Maybe they know something you don't.
As your ancestors chose to come here. They live here, man, because they were born here, like - presumably - you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom