Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What party will u vote on May 6..?
Tory 8 36.36%
Labour 6 27.27%
Lib Dems 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:54 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Let's stick with the mainstream parties,there is a reason that so many vote for them...
The issue is not who polls the most votes nationally. The issue is who gets a majority. In a "first past the post" system, a smaller party taking votes away from a larger one can let a third party win the seat. And that is where Labour have a problem because they are much more at risk from smaller parties than are the Tories.

Suggest you read my post above. It may improve your understanding of the complexities of British electoral politics and strategy.

ps. Its our election so we will discuss who we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,318,132 times
Quote:
Let's stick with the mainstream parties,there is a reason that so many vote for them...
One reason being the first past the post system that means smaller parties rarely get representation.

Many of the following will also field candidates in the election:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom

A handful of them will also be successful.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 AM

521 posts, read 1,471,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
People who don't vote get the Govt. they deserve.
Ahh, that tired old throw away line. Perhaps you can explain then why at every election that I have voted in I have never got the party that I voted for in to Government? And all but one of the times I voted it was for one of the three parties cited in the OP (and before you leap to conclusions I was eligible to vote in the Thatcher era).

Last time I voted UKIP because I knew it would be pointless! If they had the option 'none of the above' on the ballot paper it would get my vote every time. It's the people that do vote that encourage the buggers.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,911,686 times
I was always told that if you don't vote, you did nothing to prevent it, therefore you've no right to complain if it happens.

I aways try to make the effort to pop round.

Quote:
People who don't vote get the Govt. they deserve.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,481,252 times
I cannot understand the people who do not go out to vote...

Participation should be at 80%,not at 60%...

People who refuse to vote,shoot themselves in the foot...

Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,918,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I was always told that if you don't vote, you did nothing to prevent it, therefore you've no right to complain if it happens.

I aways try to make the effort to pop round.
Lets not forget that women fought and suffered for the right to vote and i think it's their duty to do so.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,729,244 times
Quote:
I cannot understand the people who do not go out to vote...

Participation should be at 80%,not at 60%...

People who refuse to vote,shoot themselves in the foot...

I thought you wanted this thread to specifically be a sampling of British opinion on party choice for their next election?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,697,874 times
I always take the trouble to vote. A lot of the blokes I know whine about their pensions, but can't be bothered to get up off their a...s and use their vote.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,104,041 times
Quote:
Lets not forget that women fought and suffered for the right to vote and i think it's their duty to do so.
And I'm also an individual with rights, If do not like any of them or what they have to offer then that is ultimately my choice and no one can discriminate me for that. The only ones I would say that I may vote for would be Labour again, better the evil you know.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,911,686 times
There's not enough of a difference between the "big 3" to make a choice.

They're all the same, really.

On a local level, my MP was elected on the strength of one major policy, which he broke just a few weeks after election, so I certainly won't be voting for him.
As yet, I haven't had any campaign stuff from any of the parties to say what they're planning locally, because that's what I'll base my final vote on.
If asked, none of the "big3" can tell me what they're actually going to do, all they can do is tell me how bad the other parties policies are.
It's like being back in the playground again.

The SNP, well, I'm not sure they're too much different.
It worries me that they want Scottish independence, rather than devolution, which we have now.
Because Scotland has no real industry, I'm not sure we would contribute enough to the world to make it viable as an independent country.
IIRC, if we keep the mineral rights, and fishing rights, and the money which comes from them, then Scotland would be one of the richest countries in the world, but I think everyone knows Westminster won't let them go.

Personally, I think it's BNP for me, unless someone comes out with some great local plans.

Last edited by bobman; 04-14-2010 at 03:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom