Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What party will u vote on May 6..?
Tory 8 36.36%
Labour 6 27.27%
Lib Dems 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,856,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Trouble with the Greens is actually the same problem as the BNP have.

They actually have some great ideas, but the public perception of them is that they're extremist loonies, therefore i can't see them doing well on a national level.
Again, they may do well on a local level, these "extremist" parties will poll quite highly in some areas, but they won't win too many seats.
Actually the greens are more parallel to UKIP in the public perception. For anyone with a brain the BNP are widely distrusted as facists which frankly, despite the new friendlier public veneer is what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
No, the green party have some good ideas (abolishing the monarchy for one) but the BNP are a party of racist xenophobic morons, who if ever came into power, would be the reason I emmigrated.
Doing away with fractional reserve banking being another. My main problems with the greens are their reluctance to deal with the UK's overpopulation (the sustainable population is at best around 37 million) and their opposition to nuclear power. They know renewables cannot entirely take over from fossil fuels, yet they dismiss the only relatively clean source of power that we have. There are other things I disagree with, mainly their anti GM (absolutely essential if we are to feed ourselves post peak oil), anti biotech and anti stem cell research policies. A healthy dose of pragmatism and less idealism is what the party needs.

Last edited by archineer; 04-14-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,896,346 times
Fair enough, I actually forgot about UKIP, they're not real big in Scotland, if that's a better example of my point, then i'll run with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Actually the greens are more parallel to UKIP in the public perception. For anyone with a brain the BNP are widely distrusted as facists which frankly, despite the new friendlier public veneer is what they are.
Also, regarding the GM crops debate, my girlfriend is involved in the industry, and it's not as sinister as people think, there's been a lot of scaremongering about it.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, I actually forgot about UKIP, they're not real big in Scotland, if that's a better example of my point, then i'll run with that.

Also, regarding the GM crops debate, my girlfriend is involved in the industry, and it's not as sinister as people think, there's been a lot of scaremongering about it.
Exactly. Humans have been genetically modifying crops since the dawn of agriculture.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,404,063 times
I have a question for you guys. Based on Clegg's performance in the first debate....if he consistently outperforms Cameron and Brown in the second and third debate, what are the odds that a large enough portion of the populace will change their votes in favor of their Lib Dem candidate to where the Lib Dems could potentially form a minority government?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 PM

116 posts, read 255,430 times
There is no chance that the Lib Dems will form a minority government; they need a huge swing of the vote, and they need more votes per seats that the Tories or Labour because their support tends to be more evenly distributed.
However, if a hung parliament results from this election and the Lib Dems poll around 25% then they would be in a strong 'King-maker' position - the biggest party would need their support to pass bills and so would have to be willing to compromise. In this situation it would not surprise me either if Vince Cable, who is seen as their biggest asset, is granted a bigger role to play, possibly something directly governing policy.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 PM

I didn't watch it.

I'm not interested in what they have to say.
I've read all their national manifestos, and I await their local election issues before making a final decision.

I agree tho, Lib Dems are not really a serious threat to Lab/cons.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:25 PM

184 posts, read 230,946 times
I do know that Conservatives will win this one, but by a small margin.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM

I think you are probably correct.

Normally Labour do well on the back of the Scottish vote, and the "working class" vote.
I think their power in Scotland is being challenged by SNP, and by the Lib/dems, and it'll decline enough for them to lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post
I do know that Conservatives will win this one, but by a small margin.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,220,882 times
Quote:
I didn't watch it.

I'm not interested in what they have to say.
I've read all their national manifestos, and I await their local election issues before making a final decision.

I agree tho, Lib Dems are not really a serious threat to Lab/cons.

But manifestos or campaign promises can change or be thrown out. This is why I couldn't care less about the so called 'sensible' policies of the BNP - I'm far more concerned with the parties philosophy and vision of it's leader.. Hence why the debates are a good thing to watch. Clegg came accross better because he is more realistic about Britain's position in the world and measures that need to be taken to remain competitive.

The liberal democrats will certainly start to challenge the main parties as soon as the public starts to see them as a worthwhile vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom