Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:01 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times

Advertisements

I think any pact, with any party will be lucky to last a couple of years.

Personally, i think Lib/Dem will jump into bed with the Tories, but, we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Brilliant negotiating moves yesterday by Clegg. By forcing Brown's resignation, he

1) makes the Lib-Lab coalition a more viable option, and a smidge less like a coalition of the losers - because the biggest loser of this election cycle, Brown, is out

2) ups the ante with the Tories for a better deal

3) which then ups the ante even more for Labour to promise everything and anything to the Lib Dems

Question for the natives, when calculating how many votes are needed for a majority, besides subtracting out Sinn Fein, are the Speaker and the deputy Speaker(s) subtracted from this number? And who are the deputy Speaker(s) if this is so?

I'm still trying to figure out if a majority means 323 (less Sinn Fein) or 322, if some calculation involving the Speakership comes into play.

So, what do you think of a Lib-Lab-SDLP coalition with a little help from Alliance, Green, and a promise to not bring down the government by Plaid Cymru and Scottish Nats?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
My official prediction: Cameron calls another election in ≤6 months and gets his majority.

We poli geeks predicted the 2010 revolution in British politics too soon :-(

PR *will* happen someday, but not this year.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:44 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
If we had PR how would those who advocate it feel about having BNP, UKIP and other single issue party Members of Parliament?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 AM

If they get the votes, then they deserve it.
No matter how extreme they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
If we had PR how would those who advocate it feel about having BNP, UKIP and other single issue party Members of Parliament?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

I would personally hate it - but only the fact that people would vote for such idiots. If you support democracy then you should also support the results of fair representation, even though you may personally disagree with the result. We should also get around to being a true democracy and calling a referendum on the monarchy at the same time as discussing our electoral system.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 AM

Agreed.

It's cases like this where I wonder if Scottish independence WOULd be a good thing.

Some 85% of Scottish voters voted other than Conservative, and now we're stuck with a Government which the majority don't want, as well as a monarchy which is pretty much irrelevant to most of us.

Therefore, the government does not represent 85% of the electorate. How can that be right ?

At least PR gives a representation based on actual voting patterns, and a fairer idea of how things land.

As loony as BNP etc are, if they have a lot of support, then we know those issues are important to folks.
As well as opening the door for the extremists, it also lets in the Greens etc, who don't really stand a chance with the current system.

Every party standing for election had at least one good idea, PR would give them the chance to present it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I would personally hate it - but only the fact that people would vote for such idiots. If you support democracy then you should also support the results of fair representation, even though you may personally disagree with the result. We should also get around to being a true democracy and calling a referendum on the monarchy at the same time as discussing our electoral system.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
I had to laugh when Cameron said the country's best days were yet to come.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
I guess we will just have to wait and see. Coalition governments are fairly normal in Europe and have been very successful in many cases. We may find that this one works and is successful. At least they have a clear agreement so we can all see what they are trying to do. If it fails, they can always go back to the ballot box.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I had to laugh when Cameron said the country's best days were yet to come.

Really? He could well be right. What do you know about UK politics and what day to day life in a nanny state is like? How long have you been living in the UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom