Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 41,063 times

Advertisements

Hello

My husband is going to graduate school at the University of Aberdeeen so we will be moving there (from Berkeley, California) in December. I just received my MA in Education and am planning on teaching at the secondary level. I have a BS in Chemistry and am planning on teaching science. Does anyone know how difficult it would be for me to find a teaching position in Aberdeen? What is the process/what agencies should I contact to become a teacher/supply teacher?

Also, we are both very excited to make the move to Scotland and enjoying everything that has to offer and were just wondering if anybody has any tips/advice for us?? What do you all think of Aberdeen? What should we be sure not to miss or what should we be careful of? Also, maybe what kinds of things to avoid doing so as not to offend people on accident.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireamoeba View Post
Hello

My husband is going to graduate school at the University of Aberdeeen so we will be moving there (from Berkeley, California) in December. I just received my MA in Education and am planning on teaching at the secondary level. I have a BS in Chemistry and am planning on teaching science. Does anyone know how difficult it would be for me to find a teaching position in Aberdeen? What is the process/what agencies should I contact to become a teacher/supply teacher?

Also, we are both very excited to make the move to Scotland and enjoying everything that has to offer and were just wondering if anybody has any tips/advice for us?? What do you all think of Aberdeen? What should we be sure not to miss or what should we be careful of? Also, maybe what kinds of things to avoid doing so as not to offend people on accident.

Thanks!
Cannot help you with your job enquiry but, perhaps, there are others on here who can.

As to Aberdeen. By US standards it is a fairly small city. Built in granite and known as "the Granite City". Generally a pretty clean environment as there is little heavy industry. Over the last 40 years or so, Aberdeen has done very well out of the North Sea oil industry. Predominantly white Scots there is relatively little ethnic diversity. The local accent is fairly soft but can be unintelligible when they are drunk

The hinterland has some rich farmland and you will get some of the best beef in the world as well as other products.

The university is one of the older ones and has an okay reputation. Better than most but behind Edinburgh, St. Andrews or Glasgow. Quite far north so you will get very long days in the summer and very short ones in the winter. The weather is generally cold and the wind sweeping in over the North Sea can cut to the bone.

Their football (soccer) team is terrible which is just fine by us Glaswegians

Oh ... and if you see 3 sheep tied to a lamppost, don't worry. Just the local leisure centre

Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
I did my undergrad in Aberdeen and many of my family live up North of there.

Obviously, the weather is a bit different! Long days in the summer, very very short in the winter. It also tends to be quite windy.
The city has about 300,000 population so it is large enough for some culture but small enough so that you tend to bump into people you know on Union street (the main drag). Plenty of nightlife with a huge selection of bars and pubs - because it is cold, entertainment tends to be indoors.
The University is decent sized though not as huge as American Universities, Robert Gordons college merged with AU about 15 years ago, the college housed pharmacy and education but now they are all under the same roof.
Aberdeen U was founded in 1495, so it's pretty old and the campus is quite beautiful. As Jaggy mentioned, it is solid, though not the cream but it is pushing hard to raise it's international standing by attracting in world class researchers. Some departments are particularly strong, such as Biomedical Science.
Aberdeen itself is the hub of the oil industry in Scotland so there is fairly thriving industry there. The people are very friendly and welcoming of foreigners so you'll have no problems there.

And have a buttrey. Not very healthy, but a local favorite.

Enjoy your stay there.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,803 times
Do have enough points to qualify for a tier 1 (unrestricted) visa ? Otherwise you will need to find a sponsor for tier 2 - presumably the local education authority in your case. Check it out here UK Border Agency | Self assessment

Old 05-27-2010, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 41,063 times
Default visa info

I have enough points to qualify for a "highly skilled worker" visa, I have a BS in Chemistry and MA in Education.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,803 times
Well, that makes it easier. You could try here Teaching In The UK, England & London - Providing, UK Teaching Jobs Overseas, & In Europe Also, see here Teaching in Scotland: Entry requirements

Old 05-27-2010, 02:43 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Scotland and England education systems are separate so don't bother with England's requirements.

I haven't been to Aberdeen, but am an American who's lived in west Scotland for 10 years. Very happy here!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM

16,665 posts, read 17,430,851 times
I wonder if this is of interest to the OP;

ISA - Homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom