Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 AM

624 posts, read 905,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You have to keep in mind that almost all of those originally involved in the white flight of the 50's are quite elderly, or have passed on. This was the generation ( sometimes referred to as "The Greatest Generation"), and they grew up in city neighborhoods, only to use the Gi Bill in the late '40s to leave for more spacious homes in the newly-built suburbs. Their memories of city life date back to the 1920-30s as children and young adults, but the neighborhoods that they remember as children ( Little Italy, the Polish section of town, etc) no longer exist; in some cases, they died out 2 generations ago.

Much has been made of the Generation Gap between the WW2 generation and their children, the Baby Boomers, but the real gap may have been between the WW2 group and THEIR parents, who may have come from the Old Country in the earl yyears of the 20th century. Many of these people immigrated to America intent upon keeping their old European customs, including speaking the native tongue in the home, but their children ( the WW2 group) wanted nothing of this, and were determined to become as "American" as possible, as quickly as possible. Thus, you have the scenario of the WW2 generation moving to the suburbs, but visiting their aged parents back in the old city neighborhoods, which by then ( 1960s-1970s) had badly deteriorated, and thus may have transferred these negative sentiments about city life to their children, the Baby Boomers. The city became "something to escape"..."there but for the grace of God go I"..., and such sentiments are no doubt ingrained in those elderly Americans who left for greener pastures starting in the late'40s.
Wow you described my WWII parents, who grew up in the city and moved to the outer ring to raise their kids. They now have moved even further out to the Texas Hill Country. I'm not really sure how much they influenced me, I like living in the outer ring and always have but have no desire to live out in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM

682 posts, read 1,628,919 times
I do not think its an age thing. I've noticed that today most people are very mobile and due to their lack of need for a home case office can live anywhere.

I do think that those who were "born and raised' in a particular area tend to have negative view of Urban and downtown living regardless of age, and are usually the last to realize the turnaround of the Urban core.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I was a young child in the 60's and my parents were part of the urban flight out of Baltimore although I didn't realize it at the time. But around the time of the 68 riots (MLK Jr.'s assisination) a lot of white city folks headed for the hills. That said, I have lived in cities, rural and suburban areas and would never choose to live in a city. But, I do like being close enough to visit the cities for dining, concerts, etc. To me, the plusses of urban living are strictly about night time pursuits (dining, live music, etc.) but during the day I want to be as far from the city as possible. I prefer the outdoors, nature, quiet, wildlife. I don't care how large the parks are in the city, you can never really get away from the urban "vibe". When I look out the window or sit on my porch, I want to hear birds, see deer, fox, rabbits, green vegatation; NOT hear other people's music, traffic, or look at block after block of brick and concrete. I always feel like urban life is primarily spent indoors (in the heat of summer the cities are too hot for much of anything outside) and that if you don't spend a considerable amount of your time engaging in cultural events (e.g., museums, theatre, concerts, etc.) you are pretty much inside your house. I think the preference between an urban and rural setting is also about how much you want to be in the presence of other people. For me, I feel crowded and easily annoyed by constant interaction with a lot of people. Others thrive on social interaction and need to have a lot of people around them all the time. I prefer a couple of good dogs on most days.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
yes, i think they might.

my relatives over the age of 80 speak of cities as if they were war zones.

to be fair, there were some bad things going on in my local downtown in the 1960's and 1970's.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I rarely go downtown. I don't live in a "large" city, but one thing is certain: There's nothing down there that interests me except a Civic Center.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
My WWII-era grandparents did not flee and stayed in the same place for 60 years. The neighborhood went through several collapses and rebirths in that time. My dad, however, was ready to get the hell out of Baltimore and went away to college in a suburb in 1969.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:25 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Many look negatively at the cities. Here in Boston, large chunks of the city WERE warzones ( a stretch of Washington St. Downtown was called the "Combat Zone."). Obviously a lot has changed since then (as the trend of people moving back into the cities continues).

My father, who's parents left urban Pittsburgh in the 50s for the 'burbs of Virginia Beach, is still convinced I'll be married soon and moving my kids back out to the suburbs. I understand what some people like about the 'burbs, but they're not for me and most likely will never be. IF I have children (at 24 I still have absolutely no interest), I don't fear bringing them up in the city. It won't ruin them.

Having lived in suburban, urban and briefly a rural area there are irrational fears on both ends of the spectrum. Many of the older generations outside the city think walking city streets are like playing Russian Roulette. At the same time, I know many people (especially up here in the Northeast) who think driving 25 miles outside the city is like taking a trip to Siberia. It's a two-way street. I still prefer the urban areas.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Depends. A lot of Boomers grew up in the suburbs that their Depression/WWII generation parents moved to after the war, and it is what they are most used to, but others moved to central cities in the first waves of "back to the city" in the 1970s and 80s. It seems like a lot of GenX folks like myself are more interested in living in cities, but I still notice the phenomenon of GenXers who moved downtown in their twenties, got married, had a kid and moved back to the suburbs. Often they hated the idea, and a lot of my friends who moved out still visit downtown and express regret over moving. Generally the excuse is better schools, more space, or the inability to afford a central city home. But a lot of Millenials seem even more interested in cities--time will tell if they end up following the same cycle, or to the same extent.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM

50 posts, read 89,855 times
The 60's -80's were tough on cities. If those were the decades when 'you' formed your impressions - well than that's what you're going to believe. Also to be factored in - city living has its great rewards but is also more strenuous. It's easy to understand how those who are 'slowing down' a bit would be turned off by the strain of anything related to 'city life'.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
for sure, after all im an old guy. but not all old guys have a distorted view.
for instance-- not too long ago i posted on memphis, re urban danger and talked about rendezvous (a rib joint near peabody hotel) that has an armed guard out front. i got called out by several members and accused of posting false info, including a moderator. they felt memphis a very safe city.
so i called sharon on the phone, the manager at rendezvous (i go there alot in travel to see family) and sure enough-- a guard is standing outside front door with a 9mm in plain view.
distorted view?? i dont think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning