Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

This is an odd question. I think people tend to buy in areas similar to where they were raised. I lived many places with the same things in common: Grass, trees. yards to play in, large parks and not 50 miles from the nearest store. In my case that has been in cities or in the county.

I've lived CA, FL and in Chicago. I think it is one of the best cities in the world to visit, but I did not like "big city" life. I've lived in apartments and I've owned houses. I prefer the slower pace of small, self-contained towns that are most often found in county seats, and that is where I am now. I moved from a 4bd on a half acre to a 1 bd on a 1/2 acre on the edge of town in a school/business/duples/residential area. It is a good location for future growth.

The advantage is I can see the stars at night and listen to the crickets. The disadvantage is I live 50 miles from large cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X72 View Post
Do you think one of the reasons why people choose not to live in urban areas is because the home is too small? I know that suburban houses typically give you more square footage than an equivalent urban apartment or condo in a city. How much does the issue of square footage affect you, for those living in a city? Does it make you want to cry how small your house is? For those who fled the city to the suburb or country because of space, how bad was the situation that you absolutely had to get out of the urban home to a place with more elbow room?

On the opposite side, do you like having a small urban apartment over a big suburban home because your heating and cooling bills are lower, or other advantages like it being easier to clean and having less maintenance?

I want to live in a city one day when I have enough money, but I know that most people including my parents went to the suburbs because they didn't want to feel like they are in a stackem and packem high rise apartment where it feels like you're stuck in a small box. I personally think if cities want to attract families with kids more, they should set aside some areas near the city connected by transit where they can build mixed use high rises, and offer at least 2,000 square feet per unit. Of course that itself would cause problems with eminent domain and all but it be a good concept if it did happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I do find your impressions of the city of St. Louis somewhat naive actually. The whole city is not some dangerous warzone where there are constant robberies, cars broken into, rapists running around etc...

My city neighborhood is very safe. My home may have cost more than other homes I looked at in the burbs but so far I have not had to do any repairs since it was well maintained and well constructed. My neighborhood is full of friendly people, families, we have a park less than a quarter mile away, and we have everything we need within a 5 minute drive, oh and I can get to work in 10 minutes if I choose to drive.

I'm not trying to convince you that the city is better than the suburbs. But I find your impressions of city living to be way off base. Yeah some areas are bad, but some are actually very nice AND safe.
I admit I don't know all of the areas which are considered 'city' and which are suburbs. And I haven't done an extensive search into all areas. I'm only speaking from my experience. The areas where we could have afforded when we were buying a house 7 years ago, the area around where I work, around where some of my friends live, from what I see in the news. It may not be a complete story, but I promise, I'm not making it up just to bash cities.

It's just my opinion. I don't think everyone who lives in STL (city) is stupid, I don't think that they are all mugged daily, or mugging people daily, or whatever. And I also don't think that everyone who lives in the suburbs drives huge gas guzzlers, lives in houses 10X the size what they could ever need and afford, buys things just to burn them and pollute, or eats babies...or whatever else some people would want you to believe.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically it the noise;filth;changing demographics every ten years and no space that I hate about cities.That is why those well off living in cities have gated communties more and more and often private security.Thye real rich have homes in the sunbusbs or further out for ehwn they really want to relax . The country estate has always been a part of the wealthy life style of those who live because they wrok ithe city.Presidents have camp david to escape to.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I admit I don't know all of the areas which are considered 'city' and which are suburbs. And I haven't done an extensive search into all areas. I'm only speaking from my experience. The areas where we could have afforded when we were buying a house 7 years ago, the area around where I work, around where some of my friends live, from what I see in the news. It may not be a complete story, but I promise, I'm not making it up just to bash cities.

It's just my opinion. I don't think everyone who lives in STL (city) is stupid, I don't think that they are all mugged daily, or mugging people daily, or whatever. And I also don't think that everyone who lives in the suburbs drives huge gas guzzlers, lives in houses 10X the size what they could ever need and afford, buys things just to burn them and pollute, or eats babies...or whatever else some people would want you to believe.
Fair enough. It goes both ways for sure. In this thread, and on this board in particular, it seems like a lot of people make up stereotypes to make themselves feel better about their lifestyle choice. It's like you're a poor sap either living in crime filled filth and poverty or you're an obese, materialistic, self-centered slob. I'm sure the vast majority of city dwellers and suburban dwellers don't fit either stereotype. It's human nature, unfortunately.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically it the noise;filth;changing demographics every ten years and no space that I hate about cities.That is why those well off living in cities have gated communties more and more and often private security.Thye real rich have homes in the sunbusbs or further out for ehwn they really want to relax . The country estate has always been a part of the wealthy life style of those who live because they wrok ithe city.Presidents have camp david to escape to.
Funny you say this. The real rich have a country home or ranch for the weekends, yes. The real rich around here live in the city, in a mansion on quite a bit of land, with a value that could buy ten mcmansions. The president of a fortune 100 company is not going to spend an hour in traffic like the rest of us shmucks.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Yeah, I don't think households in the top 5% worry too much about their square footage being too small, regardless of where they reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning