Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 AM

313 posts, read 405,281 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of times the southside of a city is the part of the city that has the largest minority population, so many people automatically classify it as a bad part, off of that basis alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 AM

34 posts, read 155,847 times
Most of the cities I have visited, the Southside was usually the bad side: South Central LA, South Dallas, Southside Chicago, Southside Jamaica Queens, South and Southwest Little Rock for example. In some of these cases the southern portions of the cities were settled first and as a consequence experienced white flight and urban blight first when the suburban movement started, although some cities northern sections were just as shady.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,333,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Never fails..whatever board I read here, the "south side" of almost every city is the "bad" part of town, or the town people caution others on..
Is there a "south side" that is safe or isnt that bad? LOL
It's been my experience that the "East" side of most towns are usually the "bad" part of town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I believe the south side of Charleston WV, and Pittsburgh, PA are actually some of the better parts of town. I think the historically crappy parts of towns are normally near the traditional industrial sections, which are usually dictated by geography, which changes from town to town.
Right you are! The South Side in Pittsburgh is a fun place to be on a Friday/Saturday night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I remember reading once that the East side of a town is often worse as the way wind patterns work pollution will get blown West to East so the East becomes the place for poorer people or whatever. However I think there are cities where "West End" is deemed the rougher part of town and I live in a little tiny town that uses "West End" as another word for "White Trash."
I find this to be true, just from visiting other cities. I am always cautioned most times to steer clear of the "East Side".

Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,843,586 times
This is completely untrue. In New York City, the Bronx and Harlem lie to the north and are considered to be the worst areas of the city. In Hartford, CT, you better stay away from the NORTH end. In Springfield, MA, stay away from the NORTH end. In New London, CT, stay away from the NORTH end. This is also true for Burlington, VT.

Your assessment might be true for the rest of the country, but in the northeast, usually the north end of the city is the worst.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 PM

6,002 posts, read 8,983,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
It's been my experience that the "East" side of most towns are usually the "bad" part of town.

I find this to be true, just from visiting other cities. I am always cautioned most times to steer clear of the "East Side".
The East End in my city if half ghetto, half upper class

The southside is all upperclass, and the West Side is mostly Ghetto

Old 08-21-2010, 01:24 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,056,279 times
There are really no "dangerous" neighborhoods in Duluth, but the most economically depressed are the Central Hillside and Lincoln Park (also known as the "West End"), which are in the center of the city and directly west of the center, respectively.

Minneapolis's most dangerous neighborhoods are located in the northwestern part of town. "South Minneapolis" is pretty ghetto too, but there are a lot of much nicer neighborhoods south of it.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM

10,725 posts, read 23,659,805 times
This is true for Seattle. Affluent suburbs are to the east. North runs the gamet from lower to upper middle class, Aurora Ave is a dump, go a few blocks east and west of it and there are some very nice neighborhoods. South Seattle, Kent/Auburn Valley, Federal Way down into Tacoma & Pierce County is much less desirable. Lower middle class with pockets of shady areas with a few exceptions.

Boston it's somewhat true. Areas with high crime like Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan are all on the south side of city. Affluent areas tend to go west.

Chicago this go's without saying.

New York is too much of a cornucopia of neighborhoods and social class to really use a compass to determine the bad side of town.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,371,377 times
In my city, Pueblo Colorado, the south side is one of the best parts of town with the expensive homes and nice schools. The east is the bad part of town.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 28,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
haha alright fair.

but the south end isn't really the southern part of Boston.
This is true, somewhat. The southern part of Boston would be Hyde Park, whereas the northern parts are actually Charlestown and East Boston. It's actually hard to say which is better or worse. Boston wealth is largely centralized and concentrated.

The South End would be the southern part of Boston Proper. In the South End, while you have multi-million dollar rowhouses, these are often immediately next to lower income housing. It's certainly gentrifying, and is largely affluent, given the outflow from the Back Bay.

Of course, posh Back Bay had parts that were sketchy, back in the 1980s.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,821,582 times
The South Shore of Staten Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning