Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,980,147 times

Advertisements

Downtown Seattle is turning into Manhatten. It has sprouted humungous cranes. I have noticed one crane associated with a a very tall framework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 AM

172 posts, read 290,060 times
Also, yes, LA is more urban than people think.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:09 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,859,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
Seattle's Downtown is much bigger than 1.4 square miles. Really, you have to include Belltown, Pioneer Square, the ID, and even South Lake Union. If you are talk about the urban core, you should also include the Pike/Pine and Broadway portions of Capitol Hill and Lower Queen Anne. I'd say you're talking about 4 square miles of the urban core.

Almost all of this could be considered the urban core (with only part of what they're labeling as "Capitol Hill" being excluded)

http://www.downtownseattle.com/blog/...rhoods-Map.jpg
I vouch for this. It's nonsense to not include South Lake Union and Belltown when talking about "Downtown Seattle." There's absolutely nothing separating these neighborhoods which have contiguous and uninterrupted urban buildings. And SLU is booming in terms of residential and tech job growth. "Downtown" Seattle is quite large, and Seattle's "urban core" is even larger.

But anyways, I think that this thread has been derailed into a discussion about Seattle. This thread is about LA in general, not only just DTLA.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM

172 posts, read 290,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I vouch for this. It's nonsense to not include South Lake Union and Belltown when talking about "Downtown Seattle." There's absolutely nothing separating these neighborhoods which have contiguous and uninterrupted urban buildings. And SLU is booming in terms of residential and tech job growth. "Downtown" Seattle is quite large, and Seattle's "urban core" is even larger.

But anyways, I think that this thread has been derailed into a discussion about Seattle. This thread is about LA in general, not only just DTLA.
What are your thoughts about LA's urbanity, as framed by the OP of this thread?

Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,111,629 times
Having lived for many years in northern Orange County, I always thought of the LA metro area as, overall, being about as densely populated as a metro area could possibly be while still being based on a suburban model of development. There are urban pockets for sure, but the suburban areas can often feel borderline urban due to the high density (small lots for homes, little open space).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning