U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 AM

8,251 posts, read 6,613,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Painted bike lanes? I don't remember that in November at all. Are these just in?
Yeah, I think they painted these in January or so. Makes it really easy and attractive to ride downtown! Tons of fun.

Quote:
Also, are you shooting on a GoPro?
Those pics aren't mine, sadly! I do have some pics and vids I took using a 16.1mp Nikon Coolpix that I affixed to the bumper of my car and got some good canyon runs with, as well as one pretty hard bomb from DTLA to Santa Monica near sunset (can't really repost for discretionary reasons, you know), but the videos took up waaaaaay too much memory and I couldn't affix it to my bike. I picked up a 5mp GoPro a few weeks back but haven't actually tried it out yet I'll post up some pics when I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 AM

17,581 posts, read 10,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Who cares?

How could you possibly post a quote that LA "lacks the vital core we associate with older urban centers" 12,648 times, and fail to appreciate the qualification of the word older?
So basically a core that's less urban than Philadelphia, Chicago, NYC, DC...the older cities. Nope, I got it the first time around. In other words, the city is not on the level of cities like DC and Boston as so many boosters on here it profess it to be.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe he got more familiar with the city and has a more fully informed opinion? Maybe a shop with milk opened up next to him recently or he discovered one that was there all along? Maybe he's just screwing with you?
Doubt it. He didn't live there for a year and then see the light all of a sudden after the 15-month mark. Once you've been living in a place for a whole year, and going through your routine, you know good and well whether the city lends itself to a car-free lifestyle or not.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 AM

8,251 posts, read 6,613,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So basically a core that's less urban than Philadelphia, Chicago, NYC, DC...the older cities. Nope, I got it the first time around. In other words, the city is not on the level of cities like DC and Boston as so many boosters on here it profess it to be.
No, again: you're twisting words and explanations to bend them to suit your myopic and steadfast misunderstanding of LA.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
No, again: you're twisting words and explanations to bend them to suit your myopic and steadfast misunderstanding of LA.
The man said that Los Angeles does not have "the vital core we associate with older urban centers." He also said that Los Angeles "can never create urban density with the parking lots we've built." There's no twisting and contorting going on there. That's what he said.

Go find me an urban planner who says Chicago, Boston or DC can "never create urban density." The implication being that those cities currently do not have urban density.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM

9,059 posts, read 5,865,636 times
Quote:
Doubt it. He didn't live there for a year and then see the light all of a sudden after the 15-month mark. Once you've been living in a place for a whole year, and going through your routine, you know good and well whether the city lends itself to a car-free lifestyle or not.
I was living there for 8 months when I said that. NOW I have been here for 16 months.

PlaBoy Liquor has been here the whole time. As has the Yucca Market and 24 hour CVS.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 AM

883 posts, read 741,755 times
What's funny about this forum is that anyone can make an account and pretend to be somewhere they're not until they get caught.

Hilarious when they get caught. LOL still laughing about the buses being respectable means of transportation......

Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,840,347 times
Quote:
The man said that Los Angeles does not have "the vital core we associate with older urban centers." He also said that Los Angeles "can never create urban density with the parking lots we've built." There's no twisting and contorting going on there. That's what he said.

Go find me an urban planner who says Chicago, Boston or DC can "never create urban density." The implication being that those cities currently do not have urban density.
...and parking lots are permanent features of the landscape.

Its like you've subordinated your entire identity to an interview given by this guy. You really need some sleep.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,840,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
What's funny about this forum is that anyone can make an account and pretend to be somewhere they're not until they get caught.

Hilarious when they get caught. LOL still laughing about the buses being respectable means of transportation......
You're too good to ride a bus?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I was living there for 8 months when I said that. NOW I have been here for 16 months.
That doesn't add up. That post was from November 2011. So if you had been there for 8 months in November, that would put you at 13, max 14 months currently.

But if you want to change your story, or "correct" yourself (again), that's cool. 8 months is still a long time to know whether you can live a car-free lifestyle ot now.

I'm still vexed, however. What on earth would ever make you think that a car-free lifestyle was so hard to achieve in LA when about 1.6 million people could easily pull it off if they so wanted? That would be like me being unable to find 1.6 million West Indians in the LA area (all concentrated in a few parts of town).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning