Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times

Advertisements

DC's is fine for me. It's by far the cleanest and the second most used in the country. On Friday and Saturday(when most people go out), it runs until 3am. That's perfectly fine for me. If I really need to get somewhere at 4:30am, I'll gladly take a cab. Also if I plan on staying out until 5:00am for some reason, I'll just take it home in the morning when it open up again. No big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
well therefore New York DOESN'T use all public systems. The aerial tram thing is neat, but since there is only one it's hardly a system.
They've got light rail in Jersey City though. So I would count that since JC is as close to Manhattan as Queens or Brooklyn is (and it's even closer than Staten Island). When it comes to the United States, there is no discussion as to who has the best mass transit system in the nation. New York City owns.

The only talk is about who's #2. That would be between DC, Boston, and Chicago.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
how many ppl live in tokyo in comparison to ny, tho?

oh ok. and 7 million ppl, at least, ride the trains daily so its not the entire system. thx.

and again, its not about the population or the size of the city. its about good public transportation. the guy is making it seem like parts of ny are barren which is not true at all.

true, there are some areas in each borough that are not serviced by the subway. it is also true that these areas are serviced by a bus AT LEAST. some areas are serviced by lirr, long island bus, nyc train, nyc bus, etc.

and its also true that our system runs 24 hours a day and tokyo's does not. so those 6 million ppl in tokyo aren't riding a thing late at night unless its a cab or a bench.
You are crazy! Tokyo's subway is THE Longest THE Fasest THE most clean and THE most rode mass transit in the WORLD. Maybe your not getting it, im saying that NYC has an awesome public transportation system, its defnetly world class and the best in the Americas, even better than the Mexico city system. Im just saying that it is not a world class system! ill name the BEST system for you: Berlin, London, Paris, Taipei, Seoul, Hong Kong and the best TOKYO. You dont have any idea how the extnt of Tokyo's subway is. Its wy bigger and more luxuriouse than NYC's! If I were to rank NYC's system i'll probably put it in 7th or 8th place.
The top ten ill probably say are:
10.Copenhaghen
9.Toronto
8.NYC
7.Berlin
6.Paris
5.London
4.Hong Kong
3.Taipei
2.Seoul
1.TOKYO

And im not a Japanophile or watever, i dont read manga all the time. Japanese efficiency! Thetrains are always clean and on time! And they got ass warmers on the Yamanote line!

Old 03-08-2010, 04:06 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post
You are crazy! Tokyo's subway is THE Longest THE Fasest THE most clean and THE most rode mass transit in the WORLD. Maybe your not getting it, im saying that NYC has an awesome public transportation system, its defnetly world class and the best in the Americas, even better than the Mexico city system. Im just saying that it is not a world class system! ill name the BEST system for you: Berlin, London, Paris, Taipei, Seoul, Hong Kong and the best TOKYO. You dont have any idea how the extnt of Tokyo's subway is. Its wy bigger and more luxuriouse than NYC's! If I were to rank NYC's system i'll probably put it in 7th or 8th place.
10.Copenhaghen
9.Toronto
8.NYC
7.Berlin
6.Paris
5.London
4.Hong Kong
3.Taipei
2.Seoul
1.TOKYO

And im not a Japanophile or watever, i dont read manga all the time. Japanese efficiency! Thetrains are always clean and on time! And they got ass warmers on the Yamanote line!
I agree that NYC's subway isn't as good as Toyko's...but I would think Paris would be higher on your list. The coverage in Paris is absolutely insane. Not to mention the fact that you forgot Moscow! The most heavily ridden system on the planet! The map is so perfectly Communist! And their stations are so clean and decorative to the point that they're as beautiful as museums! (More (http://www.flickr.com/photos/intranation/2911935691/sizes/l/ - broken link), more (http://www.flickr.com/photos/siyad/3327115391/ - broken link)) This (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wowe101/3309319326/sizes/l/ - broken link) one is too beautiful not to show...

Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree that NYC's subway isn't as good as Toyko's...but I would think Paris would be higher on your list. The coverage in Paris is absolutely insane. Not to mention the fact that you forgot Moscow! The most heavily ridden system on the planet! The map is so perfectly Communist! And their stations are so clean and decorative to the point that they're as beautiful as museums! (More (http://www.flickr.com/photos/intranation/2911935691/sizes/l/ - broken link), more (http://www.flickr.com/photos/siyad/3327115391/ - broken link)) This (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wowe101/3309319326/sizes/l/ - broken link) one is too beautiful not to show...
Oh Yes!!!!!!! How could I forget! Moscow too. I completely forgot! Yes, their stations are truly beautiful!

Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM

196 posts, read 614,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post
10.Copenhaghen
9.Toronto
8.NYC
7.Berlin
6.Paris
5.London
4.Hong Kong
3.Taipei
2.Seoul
1.TOKYO

I would say that if you're calling a system the 8th best in the world, that means it's world-class.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 14,848 times
Having lived in Berlin, I can say I prefer NYC's system.

The S-Bahn (commuter rail) doesn't really have good service except on two or three lines. And they're on strike or on work slowdowns all the time.

Now the U-Bahn (subway) is excellent, but not really better overall than NYC. Pretty similar, I'd say.

I would also rank London lower than NYC.

I more-or-less agree with the rest of your rankings, though. The one problem with Asian systems are that they have no character, but I guess most folks don't care about this aspect.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Arlington, Texas handsdown
HA....HA....very funny!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
Other than NY

Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
LOL@ nyc:
being 8th on his list
not having a world class transit system

ok, i get it. you're in love with anything other than the u.s.
thats fine.
it doesn't make you factually correct.
nyc is definitely top 3 in the world as far as mass transit, PERIOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning