Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,699,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post
Maybe your not getting it, im saying that NYC has an awesome public transportation system, its defnetly world class and the best in the Americas, even better than the Mexico city system. Im just saying that it is not a world class system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM

725 posts, read 1,504,260 times
Are you John Stewart lol...?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,774,022 times
haha, there is never any competing when dealing with New York, is there? By the way, Boston's light rail system is in the city's limits. It's the green line. And Yes Boston has among the highest ridership in the country. third commuter rail system (after NYC and Chicago) and the busiest light rail system (the green line). I never claimed it was the highest.
And if we want to talk about pure city limits, it still remains true that Boston uses the most number of systems (buses, commuter trains (there are stations in the city), rapid transit, light rail, and ferries). Deal with it.
Chicago's system runs 24 hours...btw

Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM

515 posts, read 982,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
haha, there is never any competing when dealing with New York, is there? By the way, Boston's light rail system is in the city's limits. It's the green line. And Yes Boston has among the highest ridership in the country. third commuter rail system (after NYC and Chicago) and the busiest light rail system (the green line). I never claimed it was the highest.
And if we want to talk about pure city limits, it still remains true that Boston uses the most number of systems (buses, commuter trains (there are stations in the city), rapid transit, light rail, and ferries). Deal with it.
Chicago's system runs 24 hours...btw
When it comes to public transport, then no other city in the U.S. can compete with NYC in terms of their system. Who cares if Boston has a light rail in its city limits? The New York City Subway serves over 5 million daily customers through 468 stations.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 PM

902 posts, read 2,777,586 times
Does anyone know the per capita numbers for the respective cities that are being mentioned in this thread when it comes to % of city/metro residents who use public transportation as their main source of travel?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 PM

515 posts, read 982,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
LOL@ nyc:
being 8th on his list
not having a world class transit system

ok, i get it. you're in love with anything other than the u.s.
thats fine.
it doesn't make you factually correct.
nyc is definitely top 3 in the world as far as mass transit, PERIOD.
NYC certainly is a top tier transit system in the world, however there are many systems that do not suffer from the same level of underinvestment that is commonplace in the U.S. Tokyo, Japan is indeed an amazing system, along with networks elsewhere in Asia and Europe. Not to mention places like Beijing and Shanghai are growing their networks at an astounding rate.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,699,865 times
i'm not saying that the other systems aren't good tho. i understand that. i also understand that mass transit in the u.s. for the most part is garbage with a few exceptions (ny, chicago, boston, dc, jersey, philly) but thats not what this is about.

the dude was basically saying ny's system was bad and not world class, then it was world class but just not as world class as *insert euro/asian city.* like ok, make up your mind. which is it? and i've lived in europe before and am telling you that ny has a better system then a lot of those cities on that list.

did i say ny had the best system in the world? no. but talking about how you had to walk 15 min in queens because of this and that and saying that the city isn't serviced by public transportation and that tokyo does this and that and thats twice the difference of this, that and whatever else is bull.

nyc. 24 hours. nuff said but i'll go on.
24 lines, the lirr, staten island railway, tram, ferry, nyc bus, long island bus. i notice that ny was compared to tokyo. fine. tokyo has like 9 or 11 lines. wow. again, we have 24. you add on commuter trains for tokyo. cool. those trains take you around the tokyo metro. if we're going to include the metro then the lirr and the path and staten island railway, tram, ferry, long island buses and nyc buses need to be included then. then i guess you'd throw in nj's public transit in general (besides the path).

you talk about ridership? we have top 3 ridership in the entire world, iirc. and we have a smaller population than these other over populated asian cities so what does that say about our public transportation system if it can hang with theirs given our smaller population??

so again, nyc metro area is on par with any of these other cities and their metro area. do we have bullet trains? no. monorail? no. but what we have works for us and does a damn good job and is world class, period.

all i know is that if i'm on a bench at 4 in the morning its because of my own choice. if i walk 15 min to a train station its my own choice because public transportation does its job here. can tokyo natives say the same??

absolutely not. there is a reason why its culturally acceptable for them to sleep on benches or spend the night at a strangers house real late at night.

this:

>

than this:

Last edited by eek; 03-08-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,401,749 times
Quote:
And if we want to talk about pure city limits, it still remains true that Boston uses the most number of systems (buses, commuter trains (there are stations in the city), rapid transit, light rail, and ferries).
Even so, how does that make Boston measure up with a city like New York? Boston's mass transit system is stellar for an American city, but New York's is world class, with only a couple Euro and Asian systems surpassing it.

Quote:
Deal with it.
Deal with what? Look at my location man haha. I ride the Red Line & Green Line everyday. I know we've got a fantastic system, but I'm not going to get delusions of graduer and say we have a superior system to New York.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,774,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Even so, how does that make Boston measure up with a city like New York? Boston's mass transit system is stellar for an American city, but New York's is world class, with only a couple Euro and Asian systems surpassing it.

Deal with what? Look at my location man haha. I ride the Red Line & Green Line everyday. I know we've got a fantastic system, but I'm not going to get delusions of graduer and say we have a superior system to New York.
Of course New York has a world class transporation. There's no point in arguing otherwise. But what's a debate if everyone jsut says, New York is the best.

My favorite transportation system is Athens. Modern, clean, super efficent, safe. Makes quick work of an otherwise difficult city to travel in.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,401,749 times
Quote:
Of course New York has a world class transporation. There's no point in arguing otherwise. But what's a debate if everyone jsut says, New York is the best.

My favorite transportation system is Athens. Modern, clean, super efficent, safe. Makes quick work of an otherwise difficult city to travel in.
I agree, that's why this should be about which American city has the second-best transit system. This is a whole different argument if we turn this into a world-wide debate, but I'm pretty sure this is strictly American...

Last edited by tmac9wr; 03-08-2010 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning