Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a level of development in the US between Urban and Suburban?
Yes 90 89.11%
No 11 10.89%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of discussion about a place being "Urban" or "Suburban" on CD - is there a level that exists in between.

It seems we all have different thoughts on urbanity and what it is, and in the same respect what is suburban.

So is an area like Tysons Corner, Bethesda MD, Galleria Area in Houston or Rosslyn VA something in between. Having certain aspects of both.

Would this be QuasiUrban or some other name

Your thoughts and a better label would be welcome.

Also what are these areas that are not truly urban or suburban if they do exist and what are their charactersitics that make them fit neither the urban or suburban categories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
I wish there was a term for something in between Urban & Suburban. Both are generally to massive of a genre that anything with characteristics of both get pushed as one or the other.

I propose we decide a new name for a brand new term!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Nassau county, where my daughter owns a house, is sort of in between both city and suburbs. Many people think it's nearly identical to the outer-boroughs of NYC. It's more urban than most suburbs in the country, but in NYC terms, it's suburban for the most part.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
This area of Orlando... orlando - Google Maps

Old 08-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I wish there was a term for something in between Urban & Suburban. Both are generally to massive of a genre that anything with characteristics of both get pushed as one or the other.

I propose we decide a new name for a brand new term!

I think a new term would be beneficial, not sure what it would be

Quasiurban has some negative conotation i would think

Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 PM

331 posts, read 903,573 times
Arlington County is the best example of this. The streets are in a grad pattern, just as fast paced as D.C, being right next to it, and overall it doesn't feel like the suburbs, it feels like its own city. Arlington was once apart of D.C. so that explains why the street layout its similar.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
Arlington County is the best example of this. The streets are in a grad pattern, just as fast paced as D.C, being right next to it, and overall it doesn't feel like the suburbs, it feels like its own city. Arlington was once apart of D.C. so that explains why the street layout its similar.

I actually used images from Arlington (Crystal City and Rosslyn) as an example of suburban vs urban in another thread

So id a name potentially Semiurban?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM

Well so far unanimous so

What is it?

What is it's name?

What areas are of this composition?

Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Well, there are also different types of "semi-urban" environments.

One of the more common types in the US is something I think of as the "enhanced office-park" environment. Instead of a completely suburban office park environment, this type of area tends to have office buildings with more floors (some may even be skyscrapers), but they are still separated from one another by wide, car-friendly roads, surface parking lots (in some cases), and generally don't have a lot of pedestrian activity. These are basically "compressed" versions of the suburban office park.

Another would be semi-urban areas where the housing stock includes multistory apartment buildings, or houses on denser lots than you would see in the suburbs, sometimes along with a greater concentration of corner stores, or street-level businesses. However, due to wide roads and the way that these areas tend to taper off only a block or two away from the denser core of the avenues in question, they are not really "urban," either.

One of the most interesting is the phenomenon of the non-urban skyscraper field. This happens when a bunch of skyscrapers are constructed near one another, but the ground below lacks much other activity, due to separation by freeways or roads, huge plazas, fields, and a general lack of denser street-level structures.

This is the model that currently exists in parts of Dubai (rows of towers strung out in single-file lines alongside 14-lane freeways like Sheikh Zayed Road).

This is also the model you'll see in the Santa Fe area of Mexico City - malls and skyscrapers, but not much else.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
This is what I mean. Nassau county outside NYC is denser than many other cities in the country, but yet in NYC metro, this is considered suburban.

hempstead, ny - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning