U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,434,105 times

Advertisements

Some high speed rail projects began recently, for example :
-A line Tampa / Orlando
-A line Chicago / Saint-Louis
-A line San Diego / San Francisco (certainly the most ambitious)
..etc...

And the feds allocated $8 billion only, states and cities asked for $102 billion in high speed rail projects !

What do you think about it ? Do you see opportunities for these cities or states ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,789,990 times
They better be successful. Otherwise the money will have gone to waste.

I think the most successful one for daily ridership will be Orlando & Tampa. They are not too far off from each other. San Diego to Los Angeles will be convenient too. And with San Diego's economy slightly better, I would assume many would utilize this to employment benefits in the region. Perhaps in a decade after it is built San Diego & Los Angeles might merge to become one CSA.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,161,233 times
Eh - I don't know that high-speed rail makes a lot of sense in places where the existing transportation infrastructure is already adequate and HSR would be redundant. Where HSR makes the most sense is along the eastern seaboard: Boston/New York/Philly/Baltimore/Washington, where existing transportation infrastructure is at or near capacity. And sure enough, that's the one corridor that has already had HSR for years.

Also keep in mind that "high speed" means something a little different here than over there. Right now current speed limits on most train lines is 79mph (127kph). Most of the proposed "high-speed" lines would be raised to 110mph (177kph). I believe the top speed on the Acela line on the Eastern seaboard is 125mph (200kph), and that's the fastest trains we have here. I don't know what benefit there is to getting from Chicago to St. Louis on a 110mph train with stops in between, when I can hop on a plane that will take me there non-stop at 500mph. Get that train up to 200mph and now it becomes a real alternative.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Eh - I don't know that high-speed rail makes a lot of sense in places where the existing transportation infrastructure is already adequate and HSR would be redundant. Where HSR makes the most sense is along the eastern seaboard: Boston/New York/Philly/Baltimore/Washington, where existing transportation infrastructure is at or near capacity. And sure enough, that's the one corridor that has already had HSR for years.

Also keep in mind that "high speed" means something a little different here than over there. Right now current speed limits on most train lines is 79mph (127kph). Most of the proposed "high-speed" lines would be raised to 110mph (177kph). I believe the top speed on the Acela line on the Eastern seaboard is 125mph (200kph), and that's the fastest trains we have here. I don't know what benefit there is to getting from Chicago to St. Louis on a 110mph train with stops in between, when I can hop on a plane that will take me there non-stop at 500mph. Get that train up to 200mph and now it becomes a real alternative.
I think it's a good thing in areas with traffic jams problems, as SoCal.
And I'm agree, the line St Louis - Chicago is certainly the most useless.
What a shame for Texas, they would need a high speed rail I think because the pop growth is huge.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:34 AM

725 posts, read 1,303,305 times
I'm partially supportive... I don't know why we just do not plan for maglev trains and try to make it more privitized and profitable like the airline industry (ok maybe a little more profitable than that)...

I don't think a government subsidized rail plan is a good idea... (it feels weird to quote the republican keywords)

Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,364,419 times
Hmmm , the Northeastern states are on track to spend close to 700 billion $$ on New or Restored Railways and Urban Transit. 60 billion $$$ is for High Speed Rail. The most expensive project is the second avenue Subway at a cost of 17 $$$ billion. The Govt will get around to it sometime this decade.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:23 AM

976 posts, read 1,878,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
And I'm agree, the line St Louis - Chicago is certainly the most useless.
is that so? then i wonder why the chicago-st. louis line is the busiest amtrak route in the non-coastal us? even without high-speed rail, trains between chicago and st. louis are packed to the gills. and guess what? you can fly between these two cities in about 45 minutes for a relatively low airfare. but people still take the trains. a high-speed line between these two major midwestern cities is a no-brainer.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
is that so? then i wonder why the chicago-st. louis line is the busiest amtrak route in the non-coastal us? even without high-speed rail, trains between chicago and st. louis are packed to the gills. and guess what? you can fly between these two cities in about 45 minutes for a relatively low airfare. but people still take the trains. a high-speed line between these two major midwestern cities is a no-brainer.
Sorry I didn't know that.
It's just I imagined better a line Chicago - Indianapolis

Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,507,670 times
Well, more vital at the moment would be for cities,states, and the fed. government to pay down their debts. High speed rail would be great, but would cost our governements too much money, and in the end couldn't compete with air travel without continuous government subsidies.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:38 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,364,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Well, more vital at the moment would be for cities,states, and the fed. government to pay down their debts. High speed rail would be great, but would cost our governements too much money, and in the end couldn't compete with air travel without continuous government subsidies.
The Acela Express grabs 37% of the Air Market between Bos-Wash. Ridership is growing very fast. Should be at 40,000 daily in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or