Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
IMO, if we privatized all transportation systems--truly levelling the playing field--our roads (mostly interstate highways probably, as surface streets remain useful to everyone) would eventually crumble, as people migrated to the more efficient forms of mass-transportation.
Doubtful. Most people prefer driving no natter how attractive transit may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
How do you know this? Just because you prefer driving over anything else doesn't mean everyone feels like you do.

Yes, most people do drive. But many of these people are in places where their trip would be much longer via public transit. How can you tell if it is a preference or just the most practical choice. If people are commuting in urban areas with lots of traffic or little parking, they tend to take public transit more. Is that because they have different preferences than most people? Or are just choosing the most practical option?

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How do you know this? Just because you prefer driving over anything else doesn't mean everyone feels like you do.

Yes, most people do drive. But many of these people are in places where their trip would be much longer via public transit. How can you tell if it is a preference or just the most practical choice. If people are commuting in urban areas with lots of traffic or little parking, they tend to take public transit more. Is that because they have different preferences than most people? Or are just choosing the most practical option?
No, not true. Have you been to the Bay Area? Their transit system works efficiently from an operational standpoint. Yet the freeways are jammed packed. Same with LA. Why do people drive when there are subways and light rail systems that could save them time? Could it be that they'd rather ride in their personal vehicles? These cities also happen to have some of the most expensive gas in the country.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Are people in the Bay Area a good representative of the whole country?

I'm not suggesting that people would stop driving all together. But, if people paid the real costs associated with their transportation at one time while using it (a.k.a. tolls), instead of a few pennies from each gallon of gas, a few dollars out of each pay check, a few dollars on their property tax bill, etc. they would probably take a closer look at other forms of transportation. Some would decide they really could use mass-transit more often.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
No, not true. Have you been to the Bay Area? Their transit system works efficiently from an operational standpoint. Yet the freeways are jammed packed. Same with LA. Why do people drive when there are subways and light rail systems that could save them time? Could it be that they'd rather ride in their personal vehicles? These cities also happen to have some of the most expensive gas in the country.
The coverage of both systems is rather sparse. If you're talked about BART, it's mostly useful for people who commute into San Francisco or Downtown Oakland. The density in Silicon Valley is relatively low and many of the jobs are in office parks. And I remember reading transit in San Francisco is relatively slow for a city of its size and density.

Same with the LA. The subway and light rail doesn't cover a lot of the city and I think some of the light rail lines are rather slow. Unless you live and work near the transit lines, it won't be that practical.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Quote:
Most people prefer driving because it is heavily subsidized. If it wasn't, far fewer people could afford to drive.

And yes, transit is most useful if you live and work near transit lines, just as driving is most useful if you live and work near places where it is easy to park and the roads aren't jammed.

Not sure about where you read whatever it is you think you read at some point, but transit in Los Angeles and San Francisco both work pretty well. Traffic, on the other hand, is slow, and annoying, and parking is expensive.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Maybe that's why NYC sucks so bad.. Their PT is so damn extensive and reliable.

You have to factor in population density and location. If you wanted to cut out PT all together in a heavily populated region, then you're looking for sprawl. The lack of walkable areas, the more super centers (Wal Marts, Targets, etc), more chain/fast food restaurants along your local main street, etc. These kinds of things cater to auto-centric areas.
I'm all for PT. It keeps things connecting and it gives me more options. It's also definitely more efficient, you can't even argue against that.

Who says the car itself, the gas, the repairs, the insurance and the tolls that go along with your vehicle is cheaper than the taxes you pay for PT?

I rely on both my car and PT for depending on the situation. For work and nightlife, I don't need my car. I limit the amount of money I put into my vehicle. I must save my car 110 miles a week.

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-06-2010 at 02:00 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If you think about it, car commute is a sham also. We could all walk to our destinations.

Road maintenance is also a tax burden.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
I like having a car so that I may escape my city and get into the country. But driving around town? Ugh, I avoid it like the plague.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Go blind, and have your drivers license taken away. Then, see how much you depend on public transportation. People never think that things like that can happen to them...macular degeneration, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy. When was the last time you went to the eye doctor for your vision checked? Vision Impairments is one of the leading causes of having to give up driving...look at your lifestyle, where your home is, could you manage without driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning