Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well here is the first Quote

Quote 2 (about 60 seconds later)

Read into to your use of comparisons as you may - to me they seem to be used as whatever is most compelling to your story and inconsistent in sometimes a matter of seconds

So is Houston a top ten city on population, or is the real "city" inside or outside the loop
lol, that is what you are coming up with??? lmao. Be sure to tell me how it feels when y'all get passed by Albuquerque next couple of years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Oh man Philly posters are notorious for playing with numbers and boundaries. if you wanna do it at least have the balls like Houston to physically do it, not just sit there and gripe that if we were this or if we were that

Philly is losing significance as we speak. I hope they enjoy the look of San Antonio, Dallas and San Jose's rear, cause that is what they are gonna be looking at soon

Quote:
Danny is right. The real City of Houston is within the loop.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
wow someone is sensitive toniht, did you get your dinner, re-read what i wrote
I'm 20 years old. I don't like to be blamed for what others did, that is a very 5 year old to high school thing but it stands true, I am still a kid. And I thought I got counted in a group that I detest the thoughts of for "homerism" or something because your post seemed to have sounded like that, it wasn't clear enough for me to understand the meaning properly and I never let someone call me out for things I don't do, so it was an automatic defense from me. Yes it was defensive, but I simply hate homers regardless of where they come from, we can use less of that on an information site.

And your post was confusing to understand, I didn't quite get it, possibly some words left out to make it clearer and I found it offensive, especially given I try not to even talk about the place outside of its designated forum board and instead talk about other places.

And no, I haven't gotten my dinner yet. I haven't decided on what I want to eat yet either, and its literally killing me!

Last edited by DANNYY; 11-29-2010 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Tweak

Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
lol, that is what you are coming up with??? lmao. Be sure to tell me how it feels when y'all get passed by Albuquerque next couple of years
I'll tell you what HTown, when the inner loop is within the top ten I will take Houston a little more seriously. So the inner loop is about what the 20th, 30th, 40th largest city based on what you consider the "real city"

Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Do New Yorkers try and ditch Staten Island and Eastern Queens because they lower the overall scores?
Thanks for the reminder. Yes they do. Have you forgotten every single one of those Borough versus large American city threads? New Yorkers are the first ones to do that.

Do they have one downtown or two? Who cares because to them when its convenient they have one, and when its convenient to have "more" they have two.

Chicago vs Brooklyn. New Yorkers have done that.
Los Angeles vs Brooklyn. New Yorkers have done that.
Toronto versus Brooklyn. New Yorkers have done that too.

There's at least like 20 threads where they've done that. You can easily search it.

Hell even Chicagoans do that. Have you heard Chicagoans state Chicago is "two cities in one, complete polar opposites". Here on this site its fair game. Everyone has done it before, so why is it wrong for someone of a particular city to do it.

Even people of Los Angeles have done that before, there was a thread earlier by S.D Calif that was Los Angeles vs Valley City (the Western part of Los Angeles city limits). Spend time in the Los Angeles board and you'll see that they do it a lot too.

Wait so its a given, people of any city do it. So I take it back, its not just Houstonians, Philadelphians, Bay Areans who do its more people than you can imagine.
Quote:
I can say the "real" city of Chicago is everything North of the South Loop going by this argument.
See my post before, it went more into detail than this one. This one was just to add more to your debate list for "what I need to get back too!"

Ah I enjoy our debates, they're mostly for fun. But yes this one went kind of the wrong way because others didn't catch on that its just all fun and games.

Oh and for the record Dncr, I don't think you're a weak debater at all. Actually quite the opposite of that. Honestly half the time, I try to avoid quoting you (Because I would get killed easily!) unless I know for a fact that I can win (Which in this case I can because it was originally Houston vs Dallas). But yes this debate has been rather "lazy" for you. Come on this wasn't fun at all!

So the record is:
Me- 3 wins
You- 0 (LOL reminds me of the Cubs, oh wait you're a Cubs fan!)

Step it up!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Y'all know Walk Score is wildly inaccurate, don't you?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Y'all know Walk Score is wildly inaccurate, don't you?
omg what a cute smilie

Quote:
I'll tell you what HTown, when the inner loop is within the top ten I will take Houston a little more seriously. So the inner loop is about what the 20th, 30th, 40th largest city based on what you consider the "real city"
And that is excellent for a less than 100 yr old loop.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
That's the biggest cop out I've ever heard! You can't axe 85% of the city while attempting to make a point. The vast majority (somewhere near 75%) of Houstonians live outside of the inner loop; you can't ignore that large of a population. Do New Yorkers try and ditch Staten Island and Eastern Queens because they lower the overall scores? Do Chicagoans deny the existence of the south side because it lowers our overall scores? I can say the "real" city of Chicago is everything North of the South Loop going by this argument.
Yes but city boundaries are arbitary. Old cities in the northeast include only dense mostly walkable (or close to it) areas while newer cities in the cities include recently developed suburbs. In the northeast, these areas would be outside of the city limits.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Hmm, what a weird chart. I didn't see my city there. But considering the walk score of my neighborhood and the 4 adjacent ones is 90+. At least 40,000 people live in neighborhoods that I know of with walk scores of 85+, it looks like a sham to me. (I live in Oakland, CA, in one of the most dense neighborhoods in the bay area -- 20K/sq mi)

Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Walkscore isn't perfect, but it works pretty well for giving an overall snapshot of an area, especially ciites. 80 seems a reasonable cut-off, although I did live happily and easily without driving somewhere with a walkscore in the upper 70s. It looks pretty reasonable for what it is.

Not sure what happened to Oakland -- maybe it wasn't included in the list of cities considered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning