U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM

17 posts, read 36,714 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that a lot of firms are hiring environmental planners and land use planners. What is the major difference between them and urban planners? I've noticed the pay is a bit higher and there are a lot of positions in the private sector. It works out for me considering I came from an enviro sci background with land use, GIS, and planning courses under my belt.

Is there a big future in it? A lucrative one at that considering the loans I took out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM

17 posts, read 36,714 times
Anyone?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 AM

15,087 posts, read 17,670,461 times
In many ways they are the same thing.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:26 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,671,617 times
We had an environmental planner but the position was eliminated. That position basically concentrated on water quality issues, like wastewater treatment facilities, impaired streams, etc. I guess it was different from 'regular' planning positions in the fact that it focused more on these issues than land use or transportation, but I don't think the position itself required any skills that were different from that of a land use or transportation planner.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 40 times
Default Finding cheap or assisted housing while on ssi and in need of good medical care?

This is THE MEXICADIAN SOLUTION, so you need to pack everything, move up north, as close as you can get to that canadian border then try and hopefully either build or rent a cabin out in the woods.maybe some how you get a section 8 and find a nice property out there. (Now the tricky part) you gotta get your passport for Canada so you can get a work visa or whatever term they use up there to call it. . Now we all know theres a very small percent of Americans that would go right over and violate both countries laws while they pickup a few shifts Keeping your ssdi check the same but the main reason is to get yourself setup in the free medical thats provided if you are living and working in canada. It wont cost much to "drive from your sec. 8 to the free hospital. just some time and a little bit of all that Canadian money. You wont even need your ssi check if you keep working. If your smart you will invest into expanding inside the woods you live inn. Its the U.S border, best security in the world around you, while having miles of U.S paid land and privacy around you!!! Now this is what will be known as THE MEXICADIAN SOLUTION!!!

Last edited by Mexicadian; 08-24-2019 at 03:15 AM..

Old 08-24-2019, 01:00 PM

280 posts, read 62,135 times
Environmental planning is a subset or specialty of urban planning. In the old days, environmental planning meant adding a few trees. Today, environmental issues are so important and varied that they can often take up a majority of the concerns on a project: air quality, water quality, waste and materials management, energy use, transportation. In fact, it seems like almost nothing today escapes consideration of its environmental impacts.

Does environmental planning have a future? You bet your bottom dollar it does. Within most of our lifetimes, environmental issues will become top priorities in the planning and public policy fields. There will be no avoiding this. It doesn’t matter whether “environmental planner” is a common job title. The work done and the skills required will be valuable regardless of what it is called or where it falls on an organizational chart.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:14 PM

3,186 posts, read 3,266,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
Environmental planning is a subset or specialty of urban planning. In the old days, environmental planning meant adding a few trees. Today, environmental issues are so important and varied that they can often take up a majority of the concerns on a project: air quality, water quality, waste and materials management, energy use, transportation. In fact, it seems like almost nothing today escapes consideration of its environmental impacts.

Does environmental planning have a future? You bet your bottom dollar it does. Within most of our lifetimes, environmental issues will become top priorities in the planning and public policy fields. There will be no avoiding this. It doesn’t matter whether “environmental planner” is a common job title. The work done and the skills required will be valuable regardless of what it is called or where it falls on an organizational chart.

I doubt it is limited to 'Urban Planning' Environmental issues can be major factors in suburban, rural, or industrial planning. It is a standalone field in itself.

Old Today, 12:47 PM

277 posts, read 227,793 times
While the environmental professional field is very broad (airshed management, species preservation, drinking water, climate change, soil remediation etc etc), environmental planning is a recognized specialization of urban and regional planning and usually I would think is part of municipal governments or firms specialized in planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning