U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 AM

1,342 posts, read 819,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Worse quality people"? Whoa, Nelly! Who are you to judge people's "quality"? It may come as some surprise to you, but most of us don't care what kind of "alternate lifestyles" our neighbors are living.

Certainly, it is not im-possible for me to bike to work, and indeed, one of the doctors, who lives near me, does bike on rare occasions, say 1-2 X a year. More often, he puts his bike in his car, drives over, and rides at lunch, in decent weather. However, it is uphill both ways (two hills) and after being on my feet all day, a 4 1/2 mile ride including a 1 1/2 mile uphill does not sound too apealing. This plus the weather in Colorado, the need to leave home early enough to shower when I got to work, etc, is enough for me to drive my paid-up car.

My kids don't live here any more, they are grown. We live on top of a hill. It's easier to walk to the pharmacy, which also has a pizza parlor, laundromat, restaurant and some other businesses in its shopping center. We do not live on a cul-de-sac. Why is it that everyone assumes someone living in the burbs lives on a cul?

Yes and I stand by my word. Within my suburban complex, I have one nice neighbor off hand, but MOST of the people in this cul de sac type exurban style neighborhood are jerks. Theres a lack of community feel so right there, it tells you the types who usually move to a place. Sometimes people may not be unfriendly, they may just want to escape the ghetto in the case of a black person or something. They remain similar, they just don't want their kids around gangs.
Most of the time though, what I see are a lot of jerks in huge pickup trucks tailgating me or one guy on my street who is like this has bastard children across the street.

I also care to know what my neighbors are doing just so I know whos who. I like knowing who lives where. It helps me out sometimes KNOWING who is there and who isn't. When I get the feeling in my gut that nobody is around, it is most likely true and I very rarely see anyone worth talking to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 PM

69,140 posts, read 58,270,444 times
^^When I lived in the city, I knew only one neighbor, and then they moved away. We did not have neigborhood parties, a neighborhood newsletter or anything of a community building nature.

Standing by a comment about the quality of people is stereotyping in the extreme. No one worth talking to, indeed! Maybe they think the same of you!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 PM

2,742 posts, read 2,823,379 times
Sometimes people who live farther out feel torn because they don't have enough time for themselves and their families because of the added time their commute adds to their work day. If they have children they often are also busy taking them to various after-school activities. This limits their ability to get to know their neighbors because by the time they are actually home for the day it's time for bed.

There are pros and cons about living anywhere one choses to live. I lived in two different small cites before moving out to a more rural location approximately 30 mins from the nearest city. There were many things I liked about living in a small city such as convenience, reduced travel time, and it was more budget-friendly. There were disadvantages as well such as more pollution, higher crime, growing poverty, and lower-performing schools. As many of the long-time residents moved out many of the people who moved in did not exhibit the same level of care and respect to their homes and neighborhoods.

Once my children are through with school my wife and I will look at moving closer to a city in our current state or to a small town that is more self-contained in another state.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 01-07-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 12:54 AM

1,342 posts, read 819,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^When I lived in the city, I knew only one neighbor, and then they moved away. We did not have neigborhood parties, a neighborhood newsletter or anything of a community building nature.

Standing by a comment about the quality of people is stereotyping in the extreme. No one worth talking to, indeed! Maybe they think the same of you!

And if they do think the same of me, thats when I know I need to be elsewhere. I have for a long time now ty.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 AM

69,140 posts, read 58,270,444 times
I have major problems with people who think they're better than others for any reason whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning