U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 PM

81,413 posts, read 91,841,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
Now how about if I told you it would cost you $5 per gallon of gasoline in a year, $8 in five years, $10 in eight years and $12 in ten years. Would you still want to live there?

This is what will happen if we do not change our ways.

There are roads in all those towns and cities accessible to cars. People choose not to drive. They rather walk, bike, or take mass transit. That is because the areas were developed prioritizing walkability. There is absolutely no reason why we should depend on a resource intensive machine to accomplish everything.
Yes, why not? I live 4 1/2 miles from work. I don't go home (or anywhere) at lunch. My total commute is 9 mines a day, round trip, and I work 2-3 days a week. I live two miles from a grocery store, 1 mile from a pharmacy that actually carries a lot of other goods as well, and about 3 miles from a Kohl's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
It's amazing how fast Katiana goes from 0 to ridiculous from a standing start--of course I'm not talking about giving up antibiotics or women's suffrage, but somehow the idea of making use of any ideas from the past, even ones that worked, is lunacy! It is in fact just that sort of technical innovation (vaccines, medicine, sanitation) and social progress (suffrage, integration) that make our cities far more livable today than they were in the 19th century, or the early 20th century. Meanwhile, anyone who works at a trauma center can tell you some of the physical toll exacted by the automobile--30,000 or so deaths a year, hundreds of thousands of serious injuries. The suburbs are no longer the key to better health and safety; we cured disease, but you can't vaccinate children against being smashed into pieces by an auto accident (regardless of whether you're driving a Suburban or a Fit.)

Bikes and pedestrians use the public roads at serious risk of life and limb--and of course, they don't use the highways at all, a form of transit Katiana seems to scrupulously ignore, or pretend that her grandma took her horse and buggy on the Interstate to commute into Denver every day. The only place where those vehicles interact in anything like an equitable manner is in a neighborhood that resembles those 1910 neighborhoods: broad sidewalks, narrow streets, low speed limits. Just the sort of thing you don't find on a highway or a major suburban shopping street--or in an urban environment overcrowded with cars.
wburg, you are always talking about the good old days of 100+ years ago. You have to take the good with the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My total commute is 9 mines a day, round trip, and I work 2-3 days a week..
9 mines? Yikes! Better gas up the hummer.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Oh, gag me with a spoon! I don't make fun of other people's typos.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,083,784 times
Quote:
Oh, gag me with a spoon! I don't make fun of other people's typos.
It was just a joke! I meant nothing by it. Just funny to think about someone commuting to work between actual land minds. The exurban commuter rig of choice, the Hummer H2, immediately came to mind.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
It was just a joke! I meant nothing by it. Just funny to think about someone commuting to work between actual land minds. The exurban commuter rig of choice, the Hummer H2, immediately came to mind.
Oh, come on! No one in my neighborhood drives a hummer. Very few even drive SUVs. That is an "urban legend".

Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 PM

4,824 posts, read 8,729,853 times
Predicting $4.00/gal gas by next Spring and going a lot higher after that...this could affect our driving a bit...time to move closer to work and/or get a bike? Or live near public transportation?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 PM

138 posts, read 261,554 times
Quote:
Please, a hummer... but it's so vulnerable to mines. She might need a refuel along the way anyway; might as well go all out and get an MRAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Predicting $4.00/gal gas by next Spring and going a lot higher after that...this could affect our driving a bit...time to move closer to work and/or get a bike? Or live near public transportation?
Someone gets it.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
Please, a hummer... but it's so vulnerable to mines. She might need a refuel along the way anyway; might as well go all out and get an MRAP.

Someone gets it.
Oh, bite me.

So you predict a mass move of people b/c of $4/gal gas. Do you have any idea how many people live close to their (suburban) jobs now?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM

138 posts, read 261,554 times
Quote:
Oh, bite me.

So you predict a mass move of people b/c of $4/gal gas. Do you have any idea how many people live close to their (suburban) jobs now?
No, $4 a gallon is only the beginning. Eventually people will begin to leave the suburbs in ever increasing numbers to areas that are not auto dependent. Where the percentage of money spent on commuting is lower. It's already happening slowly.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM

44,587 posts, read 35,317,298 times
Quote:
Oh, come on! No one in my neighborhood drives a hummer. Very few even drive SUVs. That is an "urban legend".
There are suburbs where large SUVs are very common, perhaps not the majority of vehicles but sometimes it seems close. (I'm referring to the one I grew up in). Hummers, on the other hand, I don't think are common anywhere, though it's possible someone in the neighborhood has one. I think the poster was being a bit facetious.

I remember a neighbor's parent would sometimes give me a ride in her Lincoln Navigator, and she wasn't the only one with one on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning