Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:39 PM

283 posts, read 595,836 times

Advertisements

We all know that everybody wants to live in the suburbs deep down.. Most people who live in the city only live there because they have to, and they have a hard time getting out. There is a very small minority that thinks it is "cool" to live in the city. These people like to parallel park, put their lives in danger walking in their neighborhoods, breath dirty air, be bothered by homeless, watch for rats and cockroaches in their apartments and so on. Than they act like they are elitist and better than everybody. They drink expensive coffee and wear scarves. Why do you guys pretend to like city living. What is really weid, is many can afford a nice large house, but prefer a one room loft that isn't even theirs. My buddies and I were talking about this last weekend while watching racing.

I was raised close to the city, and the more I look forward to my big yard and large house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM

18,967 posts, read 32,441,921 times
have you ever heard of the term "to each their own"??

I think you're generalizing too much and too caught up in your own point of view and think that everyone else should share it. All you're doing is trying to start some argument here of why you think your preferred lifestyle is better than others. There is really no point into trying to justify why someone prefers an urban environment to someone like you b/c it doesn't really matter, you're not going to see someone else's point of view on this subject.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,150,318 times
I never could figure out this either. I've been living in the suburbs/exurbs for over 30 years. When I used to go into Chicago to visit friends, I couldn't stand it. Fortunately, all my friends have now moved to the burbs.

Ya, I can't figure out the attraction of a city either. I like room to spread out with a big back yard, but to each their own. In the next couple of years I'll be moving to a very rural area - where I really want to be.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,848,166 times
I'm living in the city because of work. I'm 24 and in the process of buying a house on Long Island, about 10 miles outside the city. I like the city and all, but I prefer the suburbs. I'll always be a short train ride from the city when I move to the house. It will be nice of having nearly everything the city has, but also having a lawn and more space to spread out, compared to this tiny apartment I have in a 3 family building.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,323,433 times
Nope. Not for me. I like living in the big city, but when I leave (which I'm sure I eventually will), it'll be for a small town or an area where my only neighbors are cows or otters.

What I don't like are suburbs. Having to drive everywhere. The strip malls. The parking lots. The same stores and restaurants in every single town.

I'm completely serious: I'd rather have 1100 sq ft in a major city, a modest cottage in a small town, or a 2br cabin on 100 acres than I would your biggest McMansion and largest SUV.

If that's baffling to you, it's no more baffling than your preference for the burbs.

And most of the people I know moved to the city from elsewhere. They're not fighting to leave.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,681,613 times
This is one of the dumber posts on this forum. And there is some pretty stupid **** on here.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,848,166 times
Most people who were born and raised in NYC (and possibly other cities), or lived in the city for quite some time, usually end up buying a house in the suburbs to raise a family. Sure, there are young families in the city, but most people I have noticed move to the suburbs to raise their kids. My parents did that with me. I was in the city as a little kid, then moved outside the city so we could have a bigger house and a real yard with much nicer schools. It's the same for nearly all my friends growing up.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:08 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,183,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
We all know that everybody wants to live in the suburbs deep down.. Most people who live in the city only live there because they have to, and they have a hard time getting out. There is a very small minority that thinks it is "cool" to live in the city. These people like to parallel park, put their lives in danger walking in their neighborhoods, breath dirty air, be bothered by homeless, watch for rats and cockroaches in their apartments and so on. Than they act like they are elitist and better than everybody. They drink expensive coffee and wear scarves. Why do you guys pretend to like city living. What is really weid, is many can afford a nice large house, but prefer a one room loft that isn't even theirs. My buddies and I were talking about this last weekend while watching racing.

I was raised close to the city, and the more I look forward to my big yard and large house!
Congratulations, you have demonstrated an ability to spew ignorant falsehoods with a virtuosity never before observed by my two eyes.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,436,795 times
Some people like the city. You don't have to go very far to get stuff. You can survive without a car. Cities provide anonymity. There's a lot to do. Apartments have their benefits. You don't have to worry about maintenance. And if you're single, an apartment is all you need. Plus jobs tend to be located in cities so you're closer to your job. I like suburbs and rural areas too. Urban, suburban, and rural all have benefits.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM

92,097 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Some people like the city. You don't have to go very far to get stuff. You can survive without a car. Cities provide anonymity. There's a lot to do. Apartments have their benefits. You don't have to worry about maintenance. And if you're single, an apartment is all you need. Plus jobs tend to be located in cities so you're closer to your job. I like suburbs and rural areas too. Urban, suburban, and rural all have benefits.
Basically and there are cities where you can have a decent sized yard and with safe neighborhoods and schools. Then, you have the aspect of cultural amenities too in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning