Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
People got jobs with a BA or BS in the past because there were fewer people with those degrees, so it literally meant more than it does now. Getting a master's degree makes getting a job easier in a competitive field, although not everyone is cut out to get a master's degree--but if you look at the numbers, the unemployment rate for someone with a master's is a fraction of what it is for someone with a bachelor's, and dramatically lower than for those with only a high school diploma. And in many cases, a master's is the minimum requirement for a job in that field--a bachelor's just doesn't give you the skills needed to do professional work.

That said, breadth of experience and things like community involvement do help. I got my current job before I finished my master's largely because I had a lot of experience in my field from volunteer efforts, and being published doesn't hurt either. The real deciding factor is talent and brains--but getting a master's degree helps make explaining that you have talent and brains that much simpler.
Yeah, but you need a masters and experience. I am sure if I got a master's degree I could find a planning job possibly in the larger cities where there are more jobs open. But I don't plan on getting a master's degree, so I can get a job in the city. If a master's degree in city planning means a job in SLO county, then I'm done for that. If a bachelor's degree gets me a planning job in the city, then fine. But I am not doing the extra work to just get myself a job in the larger cities. Don't get me wrong I like larger cities, just I can't live with people living in larger cities. I need my "space".

There are more opportunities for GIS and doing other stuff with a bachelor's planning degree in my home area. So I think I will pursue this. I am looking into GIS, non-profit organizations, and maybe PG&E governemnt and public relations. Most likely I will end up doing GIS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 PM

229 posts, read 293,724 times
why do you want to be a city planner if you hate living in one?
it makes no sense. you probably will hate your job and most likely you won't be good at it..

Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
why do you want to be a city planner if you hate living in one?
it makes no sense. you probably will hate your job and most likely you won't be good at it..
As others said before, city planning is more than just cities. And here in California cities can be as small 5,000 people. So it's really city and town planning, rural planning, transportation planning, and other types of planning.

And who knows if I will like city planning or not. I might end up changing my major or I might love cities more and all that.

I'm young and I'm allowed to make mistakes!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:52 PM

26 posts, read 70,938 times
go to grad school

Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM

26 posts, read 50,372 times
First thing I would recommend is go and visit a couple planning departments and some planning firms, especially to see what the heck you are going to get a degree in. Talk to the planners there and find out what they do and how they like it. Most of those governments are going to have GIS departments as well. Talk to them and find out more. You could even try to be a pretend kid on take your kid to work day.

Go back and ask yourself why you are an urban planning major. This isn't meant to be sarcastic, but why did you pick that major in the first place. First thing you can answer to that question is you didn't pick it to get rich.

Ask the practicing planners whether you need a masters or will an AICP work just as well. Go on the APA jobs board and see what qualifications employers are looking for. Get in the game and do some research off the internet.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I wanted to contribute.

My post-community college goals stand as this; get a BS in Public Administration then eventually go for my Masters in Regional and Urban Planning. I have been told that is a good combination to have. Can anyone verify that? And I am still uncertain about what minor to have. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I wanted to contribute.

My post-community college goals stand as this; get a BS in Public Administration then eventually go for my Masters in Regional and Urban Planning. I have been told that is a good combination to have. Can anyone verify that? And I am still uncertain about what minor to have. Any suggestions? Thanks
I say get your Bachelor's and then find a job so you can gain experience.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I say get your Bachelor's and then find a job so you can gain experience.
Experience in Public Administration or Urban Planning?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Experience in Public Administration or Urban Planning?
Either.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I work in a planning environment, but as a GIS Analyst and Software Developer. Most of the people here do have Master's degrees, but we also hire interns from time to time. I think an internship would be a great way to see whether or not you like the environment and it also will look good on a resume. Just a thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning