U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,092,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Our airport is way the heck out to Kansas! Seriously, 47 miles from my house, about 25 miles from downtown Denver. Dave Barry, the humorist, once said the Denver airport is nice but they should move it to the same state as Denver. Also, the RTD (bus company) has a policy that fares must cover 1/3 the cost of a trip.
Ah yes, now I remember hearing similar things about Denver's airport. My dad used to travel there for work quite a bit and still bemoans the loss of Stapleton airport. "It was right freakin' there!" he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 PM

11,043 posts, read 12,977,337 times
Quote:
Our airport is way the heck out to Kansas! Seriously, 47 miles from my house, about 25 miles from downtown Denver. Dave Barry, the humorist, once said the Denver airport is nice but they should move it to the same state as Denver. Also, the RTD (bus company) has a policy that fares must cover 1/3 the cost of a trip.
In Northern IL it costs $6 to get to O'Hare from Antioch, about 35 miles. Of course if you have a lot of luggage, even Metra advises not taking the train.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:01 PM

2,626 posts, read 2,816,844 times
one needs a balance of personal car usage and public transportation to live a better, comfortable and affordable life. i use bus/train to commute to my work place. use car for visiting friends, grocery stores etc. public transportation doesnt mean that your cars will be snatched from you. I prefer spending my tax dollars in making a decent rail/bus network rather then going to middle east / oil lobby.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 AM

10,630 posts, read 21,691,009 times
I agree. I think most public transit users also own cars. We don't have a car, but we can rent one when needed. . Or, in many cities, car-sharing programs like Zipcar are becoming increasingly popular, and allow more and more people to either live without a car, or in a household, to perhaps go down from two cars to one. A decent public transportation network doesn't mean that cars will cease to exist, or that they won't continue to have a role in society. Ideally, though, we can develop a society where cars are not a necessity in life, but are in more of a supplemental role. Providing options is a good thing, and I, too, prefer our country and economy to be so dependent on oil.

As far as personal cost saving, we save a tremendous amount of money not owning a car. We're moving from Minneapolis soon, otherwise we'd be signing up with our local car-sharing program for those times when we need it (still FAR cheaper than owning a car, at least for us, even after we factor in all associated costs). And, for what it's worth, I've often taken public transportation to the airport while traveling with a young child. In some cases I went with Super Shuttle instead, but I've also taken both bus and train. Even when we did own a car we never drove it to the airport. It's always been taxi, shuttle, bus, train, or ride from a friend or family member. Obviously this seems to vary by location, but I thought a taxi to the airport was the default option, whether or not one owns a car.

Of course public transportation is never going to work in some locations, at least not in their current form, but it works in a lot more places than some people seem to realize. And it doesn't need to be an all-or-nothing proposition; for most public transportation users life is going to involve some blend of public transit and car. I still think car-sharing programs are going to revolutionize things, though, and are the ideal solution for everyone out there who only use a car a couple of times a week or less. Right now most of the cars are in urban areas, but I hope that eventually more and more suburban areas will get them, too. They make so much sense, both economically and environmentally.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM

8,280 posts, read 13,234,132 times
Public transit's ability to work depends more on the form of the place than the form of the transit. Below a certain density, there just aren't enough people to make transit work, and if streets aren't at least somewhat gridded it's nearly impossible to plan functional routes. Similarly, car-sharing companies like Zipcar need a certain amount of population density, and the ability for people to easily walk to the car locations. So things like Zipcar and more transit will penetrate into the suburbs when the suburbs themselves change a bit--most likely, that will be out of necessity.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 AM

11,043 posts, read 12,977,337 times
If you are flying somewhere with luggage you will probably use a taxi or limo, even if there is public transportation running to the airport. But you are already going to pay for checking those bags.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:07 AM

8,280 posts, read 13,234,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If you are flying somewhere with luggage you will probably use a taxi or limo, even if there is public transportation running to the airport. But you are already going to pay for checking those bags.
Technically speaking, taxis and limos are a form of public transportation.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 AM

81,413 posts, read 91,927,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Technically speaking, taxis and limos are a form of public transportation.
Technically, yes. However, they're still passenger cars, especially taxis, capable of only carrying a few people at a time. An individual taking a taxi is no different than driving one's own car.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,092,850 times
Quote:
An individual taking a taxi is no different than driving one's own car.
Wrong. A taxi can carry hundereds of people in a day to their destination. So that's one steel box moving say, 100 people. Instead of 100 steel boxes that need 100 parking places, more highways, etc.

Not. The. Same.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM

81,413 posts, read 91,927,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Wrong. A taxi can carry hundereds of people in a day to their destination. So that's one steel box moving say, 100 people. Instead of 100 steel boxes that need 100 parking places, more highways, etc.

Not. The. Same.
If I take a taxi to the airport, it is still the same number of miles driven as if I'd driven my own car (41). The cab also has to come from somewhere and go somewhere else once they drop me off. (Granted at the airport they could probably pick up a fare and drive them back to the city or to home.) It's probably more miles driven that if I drove my car. The main reason to take a taxi to the airport is to not have to pay for parking while you're gone, but the cost of a cab more than makes up for that except for a very long trip.

You are way over-estimating with "hundreds of people" a day, too. How many runs do you suppose a taxi-driver makes in a day? 10? That's a pretty full cab to even get 100, let alone multiples of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning