U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 AM

10,630 posts, read 21,678,818 times

Advertisements

Well, as I noted, I've lived in several places with middle schools on bus routes. I took those buses on a regular basis (including one leg to work), so I did get a chance to see large quantities of middle schoolers pack their way onto the bus. Perhaps some of the difference comes from location. My experiences with those schools was in cities (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC) and the kids had probably all grown up taking public transportation; the bus drivers weren't so nice, either, and didn't worry about them being secure, just as long as they were behind the yellow line. It wasn't as orderly as the bus stops with all the professionals anxious to just get home, but it was still pretty fast.

ETA: Actually, I'm pretty impressed that so many of the kids in your area take the public bus; in many places here in the Twin Cities many parents these days wouldn't allow their middle school students to ride the bus (or bike very far on their own, etc.), and that seems to be the national trend these days.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 04-21-2011 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:05 PM

11,028 posts, read 12,960,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you read my post, you would see that I did include the fuel. Depreciation is the same if the car is sitting in the garage or being driven on an 80 mile round trip to the airport, and is based on the presumption that one replaces their car at frequent intervals, such as every 3-5 years, which is not true in every case. It's certainly not true in my case. My car is 8 years old, and unless it is totaled, there is virutally NO possibility that I will replace it in the next two, anyway, and maybe longer. That seems to be the case with a lot of my friends and neighbors. Ditto insurance. It is illegal to drive a car without insurance in this state. The only way you can have a car and not insure it is to leave it in your garage and never drive it. Registration is cheap in Colorado.

When you pay for a cab ride, the salary of the driver and the profit to the company is also "folded" into the cost of the ride.
Most driver ignore depreciation. Yet the AAA study showed $286 less for driving 10,000 instead of 15,000 miles and $218 more for driving 20,000. Averaging the two, depreciation costs 5.04 cents per mile.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 PM

81,413 posts, read 91,871,964 times
^^That is still assuming a replacement of the car every few years. Depreciation is much different if you keep a car 10+ years. You're not paying for a new car all the time.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 PM

10,664 posts, read 20,253,705 times
Hmm. I ditched the car 8 years ago, but I work downtown in Chicago (so I'd never drive to work regardless of if I owned a car - can get there faster and MUCH cheaper on the Red Line), and I live in the dense north side areas with a Target, large supermarket, 7-11's, Walgreens, tons of bars/restaurants, etc. all within about an 8-10 minute walk from my condo.

I'm not sure how much I save, but given gas that's something like $3-$4 or even more a gallon here I think, plus insurance, city stickers, tickets, parking, car payments, oil and whatever else I probably save many thousands of dollars. I just have an unlimited transit smart-card that is paid for with an $86 deduction to my salary each month before taxes. I actually like the smart card idea, it's just pre-loaded each month and you tap it against the boxes in the train station or on any bus. There's the GPS trackers now that let you know exactly where any bus is on the 155 routes in the city or any L train, and then exactly how long until the next one arrives. That helps a LOT for buses, because normally any bus ride I take is between .5 and 1.5 miles. If it says a bus isn't going to arrive for something like 10 or 15 minutes I'll just walk. Normallly though any trains or buses during the day will arrive every 3 to 10 minutes.

It's all relative to where you live, but at least here on the north side of Chicago - it was a HUUUUUGE weight lifted off my shoulders when I ditched the car.

In 8 years I've never once asked for a ride or had to go to the suburbs for anything. I'll ride along once ever year or two to Ikea or something, but that's just when a friend who lives down the street casually mentions they're going and asks if I want to come along for company. The one thing that I'm still amazed at is that after 8 years I've also never once had to ask a friend for a ride ANYWHERE in the city. I've gone along when asked to join, but there's never been anywhere I needed to go and just can't. You figure out quick the easy ways to just drop by the grocery store once a week and pick up things you need, stock up lots of stuff in those cases where you happen have a car for whatever reason (I rent to go back to family a few times a year), etc.

I'd count cabs as transport expenses, but really I never grab a cab when I would have driven if I had a car. It's almost always going to or coming home from a bar. Certainly not going to drive for that. I just take the train/bus out to the airport when I travel (maybe 8 times a year), but that's what I'd do anyway since I'm not going to sit in traffic for 20 minutes longer and then have to pay for parking at O'hare.

My poor grandmother keeps offering me her 3 year old car since I don't have one. She just can't understand and get it through her head that I don't want a car.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:20 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,230,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
$793 a month? What the hell are people doing?

I spend about $135-$150 a month for gas and insurance. For those months when I do a lot of driving I might reach $250.

Auto payment is another $120 a month.

People need to stop buying expensive vehicles with poor fuel economy and try walking to the corner store once in a while.
See...you're one of the few sensible and logical drivers out there. I am pretty sure you're also great with directions and you know how to give your vehicle better gas mileage.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 AM

11,028 posts, read 12,960,451 times
There is a lot of talk about cost per mile. But it is probably higher for short trips. The engine is not warmed up so the gas mileage is lower. Condensation can build up, rotting out the muffler. Also more friction because the oil hasn't circulated. The first mile is expensive, the cheaper miles come after that. If you can use mass transit or walk to eliminate short trips you come out ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning