Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about how and/or if a single family home communicates something about the peope who live inside.

Do we generally try to make the public view of a house pleasant just for asthetics, or are we trying to communicate something about ourselves through a "display" of sorts?

Are we actually trying to say something about our economic status, stability, tastes for the arts, belief in/support of our neighborhood, ect?

If we are, is that a healthy way of being?

And here I go again with yet another rant against faux stuff, but when we use obviously fake, unusable and/or cheap mass-produced materials/designs on our house's "face" are we subliminally suggesting we are "putting on a facade" ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 AM

192 posts, read 560,067 times
Great topic! I've wondered about this a lot, both as I was restoring old city houses, and while building the new house I currently live in. I enjoyed the creative outlet in both cases, but I also felt a sense of responsibility to make the 'right' choices, which made each decision feel much larger than personal...like it would impact the entire neighborhood, or at least the neighborhood's impression of me.

As much as 'we are what we eat,' I think we have truly become 'where we live,' as well.

I agree with you, Chango, about the faux stuff. I will also add that minimalism can carry its own form of pretense. (see Unhappy Hipsters for a laugh!)

Last edited by scdreamer; 01-04-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:08 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Well, we could all live in unadorned wooden boxes. Would that make you feel better?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, we could all live in unadorned wooden boxes. Would that make you feel better?
Actually... No.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
How about one of those shed kits you can get a Home Depot? In Denver, you don't even have to go to the burbs to get to a Home Deopt; they actually have located in the city.

Seriously, what is the point of this thread? People decorate their houses according to their own personal tastes, and sometimes, according to their needs. If you have someone handicapped, you build a ramp. If you have little kids, you might fence the yard. And so on.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-04-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Seriously, what is the point of this thread? People decorate their houses according to their own personal tastes, and sometimes, according to their needs. If you have someone handicapped, you build a ramp. If you have little kids, you might fence the yard. And so on.
That is the point. Do we do it just for ourselves, or to say something about ourselves to world around us?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
i'll bite. i want to be proud of the place i come home to. that's why i keep it nice. i believe the house tells a story of the history of the neighborhood and its prior occupants and i want to be part of that story -- that's why i try to keep it original or at least respect the original design.

is it vain? yes. home ownership in general is a somewhat vain and selfish endeavor. when you're looking at houses and thinking, oh yes, i could use this restroom without leaving my bedroom or gee that dishwasher would be so handy or wow those paint colors really express who i am -- these are all pretty self-absorbed things to think about. but having a house is more than that, too.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
I wonder about then when viewing massive houses on massive properties right next to the interstate. ... WTF?

Everyone, look at me and my wealth! I could've built this house anywhere but I built it where YOU can see it, commoner!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That is the point. Do we do it just for ourselves, or to say something about ourselves to world around us?
Who cares? Anyway, isn't it really the same thing?

By the way, my house says "Wouldja repoint some of my danged bricks already?"

Quote:
I wonder about then when viewing massive houses on massive properties right next to the interstate. ... WTF?
That says either "I got this wide open hunk of land real cheap," or "I was here first!"

Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

Everyone, look at me and my wealth! I could've built this house anywhere but I built it where YOU can see it, commoner!
Interesting that you point this out because that attitude is not very common IMO. In the Victorian era, you wanted the house on a busy corner or a busy street so that people could see how much money you have. Today, it seems, the biggest and most expensive houses are relatively tucked away where nobody sees them. Being at the end of a dead end street is considered a good thing. A side effect of the desire for more seclusion is that in most cities you find a lot of houses on the main roads dilapidated or destroyed, while one or two blocks in you find beautiful neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning