Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times

Advertisements

One of the technological advances I think would be most interesting in enhancing urban development is growing crops locally.

Verticle Farming may become a possibility in the near future, and a potential option for reusing large vacant buildings.

The Vertical Farm Project - Agriculture for the 21st Century and Beyond | www.verticalfarm.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Technological, schmecknological. City folks grow crops in their backyards or even on their mow strips already. It's a cute idea, but it makes more sense to me to grow crops on farmland instead of building suburbs on them. But it's a potential option for reusing large vacant suburban subdivisions!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:34 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Technological, schmecknological. City folks grow crops in their backyards or even on their mow strips already. It's a cute idea, but it makes more sense to me to grow crops on farmland instead of building suburbs on them. But it's a potential option for reusing large vacant suburban subdivisions!

Never underestimate the potential for urban farming.

http://www.ruaf.org/sites/default/fi...,%20Russia.pdf

Although the focus is on Russian dachas, as you can see from the first picture in the following link, it is much like many of the first suburban (now inner-city) neighbourhoods in this country, so the same concept applies. Although the amount of land in our pre-WW2 neighbourhoods is less in many cities people could still manage to plant some fruit trees that would produce more than enough fruit for much of the summer, as well as tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, and other things that are easy to grow.

40% of Russia’s agricultural output (51% by value) comes from dachas: Does the secret of the mysterious Russian soul lies in dachas? :: Salt Spring News :: Daily News Of and For Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada

Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
From what I am gathering, this will create jobs which will be good. More people will be employed. We need that and we would be doing something really productive. In the city, it looks good, but also be a good idea to build farms where they plan to build more suburbs too. How about both? SEVERAL jobs can be created here if they build them in the suburbs AND build these farms in the city like suggested like say some run down part of St Louis or Detroit. This way people will have jobs in the suburbs AND new jobs created in the cities too. I am a fan of the idea so far.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 AM

I guess it has some potential to create jobs. I don't look at urban farming as an economic activity, but rather a type of self-sufficiency. I also think more of backyard family plots where people trade different types of fruits and vegetables with others in the neighbourhood based on what they have an excess of, more than shared community gardens. I guess both could have similar end results.

I also see other benefits to it. It is local, so things aren't shipped from elsewhere, reducing the amount of oil consumption. It shouldn't be too hard to get at least a few people in those wrecked neighbourhoods interested in it, which would familiarize others in those communities to garden if they see the benefits (free food for a few hours of work). It would give them something constructive to do which could potentially distract a few of them from peeing on things, spray-painting traffic signs, smoking weed, drinking 40-ouncers and many other things they do out of boredom.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:15 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I also see other benefits to it. It is local, so things aren't shipped from elsewhere, reducing the amount of oil consumption. It shouldn't be too hard to get at least a few people in those wrecked neighbourhoods interested in it, which would familiarize others in those communities to garden if they see the benefits (free food for a few hours of work). It would give them something constructive to do which could potentially distract a few of them from peeing on things, spray-painting traffic signs, smoking weed, drinking 40-ouncers and many other things they do out of boredom.
We've got two urban farms run by the city school system here. It's teaching the kids 1) where there food comes from 2) how to eat better - lots of the food gets used in the cafeterias 3)trade-worthy horticlutre skills 4)lessons in economics, as produce is sold at local farmers markets and in CSA shares.

I've volunteered at both - lots of very interested teens working hard who would not have had a chance to be exposed to something like this otherwise.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:41 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,457 times
I really like vertical farms. I think that cities should definitely have them, and they should be community owned and not corporate owned. Maybe those big skyscraper ones can be corporate owned, but I think they should be community ones in backyards and such, and on top of roofs of large buildings like apartment buildings. Like I can imagine many of them being on top of roofs in Brooklyn and they can provide jobs like someone here said. I think that when they do that, any food left over that isn't sold can either be used as fertilizer or should be given free to the workers/employees themselves or to homeless people who need it.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:26 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
I don't underestimate the potential of urban farming at all, but those small plots are typically in the ground, not vertical farms. I have a backyard garden myself, not huge (currently less than 100 square feet of plants) but enough that I didn't have to buy one tomato between May and November last year, plus plenty of other fruit and vegetables over the course of the year--enough to save some money and supplement my diet, although not enough to replace trips to the farmer's market. Something expensive as a high-rise building is difficult to justify for agricultural use unless food has become far, far more expensive than it is now.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Rooftop gardens

St. Petersburg Rooftop Gardens

CCI-Sponsored Rooftop Gardens in St. Petersburg

сад на крыше проект

Яндекс.Картинки: сад на крыше

Last edited by KC6ZLV; 01-07-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 PM

187 posts, read 541,362 times
This does seem like a pretty good idea, and it would be ideal if not for the price. I can see rooftop gardens and such being built on existing buildings in some large urban centers like New York, Tokyo, etc. but building new high-rise buildings just dedicated to agriculture it would take a really long time and a lot of buildings to become worthwhile. Maybe in some countries like Iceland and Japan where there is not much land to farm on, it could become the future of agriculture. However, in the US it would really be pointless since we have so much space and it's just more profitable and practical to keep using our current system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning