Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think (Read the original post to see question)?
Yes 102 73.38%
No 30 21.58%
Other 7 5.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Uh ever heard of Detroit? It was hit with a "recession" once and never bounced back from it which is where Atlanta is headed, IMO
What! I don't think the recession hit Atlanta that badly. I could see if you said Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
What! I don't think the recession hit Atlanta that badly. I could see if you said Las Vegas.
Are you joking? Atlanta has a 10.3% unemployment rate, ya good luck getting out of that hole

Old 01-22-2011, 12:50 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Uh ever heard of Detroit? It was hit with a "recession" once and never bounced back from it which is where Atlanta is headed, IMO
Uh is Atlanta economy any where close to monolithic like Detroit? ) did detroit ever hub part of a region of the county? or is it too close and competing with a larger city. Again Atlanta even in hard times is the 6 fastest growing metro bad comparison. fail but try again..... cough cough obsession.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
On a scale from 0 (North Dakota) to 100 (Las Vegas) I'd put Atlanta in the 60-70 range. We got hit worse than most--as did essentially every other city in the southeast--but it doesn't look like the sky is falling. We're not doing as well as Nashville and Birmingham, are right on track with Charlotte, and are doing significantly better than Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa.

For some odd reason, people still keep moving here. Even I'm surprised that we are still adding 50-70k per year (although immigration and natural growth account for more of this than normal IIRC)

Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Uh is Atlanta economy any where close to monolithic like Detroit? did detroit ever hub part of a region of the county? Again Atlanta even in hard times is the 6 fastest growing metro bad comparison. fail but try again..... cough cough obsession.
Yes it is, Atlanta is closer to Detroit than it is to Dallas LOL

Dallas 8.2%
Atlanta 10.3%
Detroit 12%
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Are you joking? Atlanta has a 10.3% unemployment rate, ya good luck getting out of that hole
10.3% is bad, but that doesn't compare to Detroit. ATLiens think that I bash Atlanta, but you're clearly the winner. Atlanta has been hiding a little bit due to the recession, but I don't see it becoming a Detoit. I did before, but definitely not now.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Yes it is, Atlanta is closer to Detroit than it is to Dallas. LOL

Dallas 8.2%
Atlanta 10.3%
Detroit 12%
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
"LoL" weird

umm let me re paste
"Uh is Atlanta economy any where close to monolithic like Detroit? did detroit ever hub part of a region of the county? Again Atlanta even in hard times is the 6 fastest growing metro bad comparison. fail but try again..... cough cough obsession."

Because I said even in hard times meaning with a high unemployment ) Atlanta still by raw number is growing fast, 6th must be slow to you, again Atlanta slow is fast. Detroit is declining.

Second Detroit is strongly depending on the Auto industry so it deline with it. You point out Atlanta has a unemployment rate you didn’t point out Atlanta economy is monolithic to end up like Detroit. fail

Detroit also competed with neighboring larger city chicago. Atlanta dominates the Deep south as you would say.

This is not the first recession Atlanta went through ) and cities like Houston and etc have seen hell in the past. but obsession tell me more about Atlanta you failed so try again.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Well the ultimate problem here is you guys are forgetting how a city will or will not emerge in a recovery and what it's economy is like.

One of the major reasons our unemployment is higher is a large portion of our city's economy was based on... growing... it takes alot of construction workers to add and many people and businesses as we did pre-recession.

Dallas and Houston have gotten by pretty well with the uptick in gas prices, steady demand for gas, and a high amount of refineries along the coast. Houston's proximity to NOLA also makes it an ideal place for a company to try to get some of the larger rebuilding contracts.

Atlanta's economy is pretty well diversified. It is an ideal location. When things get better...I'm not too worried. I don't ever see us being a declining city like Detroit has been through the non-recession periods.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
"LoL" weird

umm let me re paste
"Uh is Atlanta economy any where close to monolithic like Detroit? did detroit ever hub part of a region of the county? Again Atlanta even in hard times is the 6 fastest growing metro bad comparison. fail but try again..... cough cough obsession."

Because I said even in hard times meaning with a high unemployment ) Atlanta still by raw number is growing fast, 6th must be slow to you, Detroit is declining.

Second Detroit is strongly depending the Auto industry so it deline with it. You point out Atlanta has a unemployment rate you didn’t point out Atlanta economy is monolithic to end up like Detroit. fail

This is not the first recession Atlanta went through ) and cities like Houston and etc have seen hell in the past. but obsession tell me more about Atlanta you failed so try again.
You bring up a good point chiatldal, I forgot that Detroit is the center of the auto industry. WOW! I just realized how much more important Detroit's economy is to the world than as is Atlanta's. Compared to an entire industry being based in Detroit, what does Atlanta have? MLK, Coca Cola, Home Depot, sorry but those come 'oh so close' yet not close enough to matching GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Detroit has other industries, only someone fully ignorant of modern Detroit will think it is all just auto. This recession will sink and it will take Atlanta with it, IMO Atlanta is to far in the hole to recover with the rest of the country. Miami, LA, and Charlotte will recover and bounce back because they have global industries but Atlanta will struggle because it doesnt have a defined industry

Old 01-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You bring up a good point chiatldal, I forgot that Detroit is the center of the auto industry. WOW! I just realized how much more important Detroit's economy is to the world than as is Atlanta's. Compared to an entire industry being based in Detroit, what does Atlanta have? MLK, Coca Cola, Home Depot, sorry but those come 'oh so close' yet not close enough to matching GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Detroit has other industries, only someone fully ignorant of modern Detroit will think it is all just auto. This recession will sink and it will take Atlanta with it, IMO Atlanta is to far in the hole to recover with the rest of the country. Miami, LA, and Charlotte will recover and bounce back because they have global industries but Atlanta will struggle because it doesnt have a defined industry
This silliest thing I read from you yet. I love that they have global industries and I guess Atlanta doesn’t? Wow

That's funny because only someone fully ignorant of Atlanta period would say What does Atlanta have? oh nothing just in the US Atlanta is top 10 in finance, Health, Education, logistics, Tech and etc. failed try again. I hope Detroit do come back, but I was talking about how Detroit got in this mess in the first place don't straw man me on how Detroit is trying to diverse. Detroit has pass monolithic issues that got the city to where it's now, How can Atlanta be like Detroit when Atlanta doesn't and never had those issues. I said Detroit is too dependent on the Auto instrudustry, I don't care how important it is, international auto companies, labor unions and a decline in american manufacturing is what hurt Detroit, which is nothing like what's going on in Atlanta.

I going to keep saying this because your ignoring this part of my posts. Metro Atlanta is the 6th fastest growing metro in country Atlanta slow is fast, Meaning Atlanta compared to itself is only slow but compared to most of country it’s actually fast, the key word is most. Basically your saying Atlanta will become the next Detroit, when the diversification of the two economies are different and Atlanta is 6th in growth by raw numbers. WoW you kind of a head of yourselves. It’s like contradicting pessimistic wishful thinking. obsession you failed try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning