U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do you think (Read the original post to see question)?
Yes 96 72.73%
No 30 22.73%
Other 6 4.55%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 PM

10,180 posts, read 5,179,481 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about prospective population gains in some of the fastest increasing cities in our country right now. It's no secret that America has some of the sprawliest places when it comes to development and that really adds on to much of the growth we see in our metropolitan areas.

I was just looking at the list of largest cities in the world. And I noticed something, every city there is either on coast (the metropolitan area is on the coast) or is a national capital and political center of its country. Not one exception to it at all.

I was thinking more in terms about some of our large inland cities (Chicago doesn't count since Great Lakes would be considered a sea in other countries- and St. Lawrence River connects them to the Atlantic and Chicago maintains water port activity through sea modal). Anyways I was thinking about our large inland cities that have passed up the half way mark to becoming "Mega Cities" (10,000,000 people +)

Do any of you think the USA will defy that trend and be amongst the first country to have a "Mega City" that is landlocked & not a national capital?
Dallas-Fort Worth was at 6.8 Million in 2009, by the moment it should be at 7 Million people (at CSA level). Atlanta is reaching 6 Million this year (CSA level).

What do you guys think? Will the largest landlocked & non national capital city to become a "Mega City" in the world be in the United States?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

^^ You guys can check to see the Top 20 for yourselves, they are all either their country's capital city or next to a sea or ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:34 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,537,777 times
Nope.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Nope.
I would want to say yes, but its never happened before in the history of the world for there to be a "Mega City" that is landlocked or not a national capital of its country. I wanted to say yes, but there is no evidence in this world of it being the case at all.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:43 PM

The Metroplex, will get to about 8.5M drop a bit, then increase again and thyen drop again, basically stagnate at 8.5M

Atlanta won't get that high.

It will get more rivals in the SE from Raliegh, Charlotte, etc

Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM

1,926 posts, read 1,761,768 times
Aren't we supposed to hit 400 million people by 2050? I think it'll happen, at least some of these extra 100 million people will be living somewhere inland.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Aren't we supposed to hit 400 million people by 2050? I think it'll happen, at least some of these extra 100 million people will be living somewhere inland.
No we're 40 years away from hitting 400 Million people. If you look at the world population, the world is at 7 Billion or so right now and it will reach its peak in 2040-2050 (by projections) between 9-10 Billion people and then decline in the next 30 years to 6-7 Billion people. The United States is also seeing a slowdown in population increase rates but still numerically gaining large numbers but even that is projected to slowdown in the coming decades.

India is a large and populated country, and 60% of the people in that country live in cities or urban areas compared to 80% in the United States (Contrast with 72% of China), so more people in India live in the cities there than the total people in USA, and even they DON'T have a landlocked city or a city that is NOT a national capital of their country that is a "mega city" (10 Million + people in it).

I want to see the reasoning why people who vote yes will say the United States will be the first to do that, when not even India or China have done it yet, or any other country in the history of our planet has done that yet.

What makes us special in this regard in all of your opinions to do something that has never been done before in this worlds history? And to do something that two larger and more rapidly urbanizing countries (India & China) haven't even done yet with their plethora of over a Billion people apiece?

Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,287,084 times
It looks like you're saying no water, well no coast, but can it be on a river?

Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
It looks like you're saying no water, well no coast, but can it be on a river?
No it cant. A river is not a coast. A sea, a ocean, a gulf count as coasts. Denver is land trapped, so are Dallas, Atlanta, and a few other places. Can the United States of America defy the history of the world and get the first mega city in the world that is both land trapped and not a political stronghold capital like Mexico City or Cairo are to their countries?

Rivers are absolutely not qualified for the argument, because hundreds of places in the United States and the world can make an argument with that.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,000,755 times
I've always felt like Coastal cities have an advantage over inland cities. That's why I believe Houston or Miami have a better chance of becoming World Class cities over Atlanta and Dallas.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've always felt like Coastal cities have an advantage over inland cities. That's why I believe Houston or Miami have a better chance of becoming World Class cities over Atlanta and Dallas.

All 4 are already world Class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning