Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Low-density, sprawling suburbs are totally unsustainable and instead of having 'best of both words' of urban and rural, tend to lack the benefits of both.

For a start, the big houses and blocks take up more land than they should without contributing anything: suburbanites don't grow food, they don't contribute to the socio-cultural capital of the city, and yet they're as artificial as an urban environment. People who celebrate the suburban lifestyle haven't really experienced an urban environment with plenty of greenery/open space, that is well-designed so it's quiet and yet with a vibrant sense of community.

By suburbs I don't mean 'single houses' - I think some of the older transit suburbs are examples of good suburbs where more attention was paid to the overall ambience and amenity of the area, not the convenience of the automobile. Many of these suburbs had fairly large houses but every square metre of the urban environment - roads, parks, sidewalks - were well utilised.

I think we should start doing away with these sprawling new developments and go back to cities with a dense urban core, less dense but still walkable urban ring, and a sort of high-density rural ring around that, surrounded by greenbelts of forest/parkland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
oh lord, another one of these silly rants?? how many threads like this must you people create?? couldn't you have found an already open thread to let out your anger??

Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Low-density, sprawling suburbs are totally unsustainable and instead of having 'best of both words' of urban and rural, tend to lack the benefits of both.

Yet if people choose to live there and enjoy it, would you not say it benefits them?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Yep'we have sepnd billions on urban renewal;80% of federal funding for poverty goes to 20% of poverty in urban areas and yet they are deacying. People are smart enough to escape if they can which is their right as citizens.OP wouldn;t be writing this if he didn't recognise it. Just look at it has epple returning to their more rural roots of the past;makes it easier to keep leel headed about.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yep'we have sepnd billions on urban renewal;80% of federal funding for poverty goes to 20% of poverty in urban areas and yet they are deacying. People are smart enough to escape if they can which is their right as citizens.OP wouldn;t be writing this if he didn't recognise it. Just look at it has epple returning to their more rural roots of the past;makes it easier to keep leel headed about.
He's not from the US, Australia most likely has none of those problems.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think we should start doing away with these sprawling new developments and go back to cities with a dense urban core, less dense but still walkable urban ring, and a sort of high-density rural ring around that, surrounded by greenbelts of forest/parkland.
If anyone is "selfish", its you.

You admit wanting to force people to living in an environment that you prefer instead of individuals and families making their own choices based on their preferences.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Are people selfish for wanting safe neighborhoods and good schools, and in some cases proximity to good jobs?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
As one who grew up in the city but raised my family in the suburbs I'll just state that I disagree that it is selfish to want to have a nice home with some land and safe schools.

Haven't regretted a minute of our decisions, and we have had homes in the suburbs of five major cities over the past 35 years.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,997 times
I don't think that a good portion of the people who live in suburbs can be considered selfish, many of them live there because they have no choice. It is because the 1950's government wanted suburbs because they were afraid the Soviets or the Chinese would use nuclear weapons on us, and thus we were afraid to live all close together. I don't blame the people who live in the suburbs for being selfish by choosing to live in suburbs, they have to live there because the government on all levels in league with the oil and car industry force it on us. Originally it was this Cold War mentality that everyone needs to live far apart incase nukes are used, but even with the fall of the Soviet Union people just got used to suburbs and wanted more of it since more than a generation past between then and now. I think that many people who live in suburbs would choose to live in a walkable high density city surrounded by greenbelt and wildlands if it wasn't so expensive, if they built more New York type cities there would be less cost because it would be more abundant. Not only that but if they improved schools and made it safer, so the white people would feel safe living in mixed income communities with blacks, hispanics, asians, and other people. I live in a suburb and I wish I could live in a NYC type enviornment (with some amenities like a higher square footage for families with kids), but they don't build entirely new cities from nothing anymore.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,685 times
The urban planning board is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning