Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have never bought bicycle clothes.
It helps considerably the farther you ride and dealing with your environmental conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
It helps considerably the farther you ride and dealing with your environmental conditions.
Heat and humidity. Now my next worry is how to carry clothes to work/school/other places. I've tried carrying clothes from the dry cleaners and it isn't fun.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:07 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,222 times
Higher gasoline taxes, strict urban growth boundaries, congestion pricing system, end subsidized parking, road diets in sprawling areas, compact development, celebrity spokesman/woman

Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Im lucky enough to wear shorts / and sport pants to work. I just bring an extra shirt to change into.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Heat and humidity. Now my next worry is how to carry clothes to work/school/other places. I've tried carrying clothes from the dry cleaners and it isn't fun.
Absolutely, very impracticle in both our areas - heat and humidity pretty much kills the deal, unles you have the appropriate facilities at where you work.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Im lucky enough to wear shorts / and sport pants to work. I just bring an extra shirt to change into.

I'm jealous.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
Higher gasoline taxes, strict urban growth boundaries, congestion pricing system, end subsidized parking, road diets in sprawling areas, compact development, celebrity spokesman/woman
Maybe so, but I have grown very cynical. The persons who are the most able to afford houses right now are the ones who are building in a sprawl-like fashion. Gas prices won't really change much because gas prices were going up and people still drove their cars. Many people just went to smaller cars.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:17 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
You would never know it by looking at me, but I love to ride a bicycle. Always have.

I used to commute by bicycle to work and for all trips under five miles when I didn't have to carry a lot back with me. You can ride to Home Depot for a box of deck screws, but not for the lumber to build a deck...

When I moved to the country, commuting by bicycle lost it's practicality.

When we moved to Houston, I debated attempting bicycle commuting again, but from what I've seen of the drivers in the north Houston/Spring area, I don't think I'd live very long at all!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Do you have any bags on your bike? I always liked using panniers and I would take dry clothes with me to work on rainy days.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
You would never know it by looking at me, but I love to ride a bicycle. Always have.

I used to commute by bicycle to work and for all trips under five miles when I didn't have to carry a lot back with me. You can ride to Home Depot for a box of deck screws, but not for the lumber to build a deck...

When I moved to the country, commuting by bicycle lost it's practicality.
That's the irony. So many well-meaning folks "move to the county" looking for a more simple, and yes, less car-centric, way of life and find the opposite to be true. Unless you are a retired or self-employed empty nester OR a dedicated home schooler committed to farming and self-sufficiency, you'll find yourself driving MORE, not less.

Quote:
When we moved to Houston, I debated attempting bicycle commuting again, but from what I've seen of the drivers in the north Houston/Spring area, I don't think I'd live very long at all!
I'm so sorry you landed in Houston. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart as a Naturalized Texan. Love the state. But still....that city was built on Big Oil. I'm sure the movers and the shakers there are hoping and praying that gas reaches $15 per gallon. Good times for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning