Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I felt that way too when I lived in the center of a small, old town of about 12,000. Good planning had ensured downtown did not become a ghost town, which is the exception, not the rule.
Brattleboro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Unless there happens to be a college within the city, of course. It that college students willingness to walk everywhere can really save classic old downtowns.

I actually wonder if that's what has really caused gentrification to take off. People are seeking to recapture the allure of living in a college town within the big city.
I think you're onto something there. I call one of our neighborhoods here, "frat row for the late twenties set."

The aforementioned small town sort of felt like a college town, but without the college.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Three of New Hampshire's small cities--Portsmouth, Manchester, and Concord--have downtown areas which many might find appealing. People might have varying opinions on which of these downtowns they would find most attractive, as the predominant feel is different in each. While each of these cities has a mix of the features that make for a nice downtown, Portsmouth stands out as being on the touristy side, downtown Manchester has a gentrified feel, and Concord appeals in somewhat more a lowbrow way as a throwback to a traditional downtown with a good variety (at least by today's standards) of small stores that serve everyday needs, unlike so many towns and small cities today where the bulk of retail activity is found in strip malls on the edge of town, while downtown is either faded or given over largely to coffee shops, art galleries, and trendy little restaurants.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:58 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Default Anyone know about any of these?

Below is a list of mid-sized to large towns and small cities I've read about and get the impression might have nice downtowns, but which I've never visited, so I don't know for sure. Is anyone familiar with any of these towns? Are their downtown areas appealing and interesting, or has the information I've read given me an erroneously positive impression?

MAINE:

Bangor

PA:

Greensburg
Johnstown

MD:

Annapolis

VA:

Blacksburg

WV:

Charleston
Morgantown

TN:

Knoxville

GA:

Athens

FL:

Tallahassee

OH:

Oxford

IN:

Bloomington
Greencastle

MO:

Columbia

WI:

Appleton

MN:

St. Cloud

ND:

Grand Forks
Fargo
Bismarck

SD:

Mitchell

NE:

Kearney
Hastings

MT:

Missoula
Helena
Bozeman

CO:

Ft. Collins

Old 09-03-2012, 06:50 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Brattleboro?
Great guess!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Cities/towns of all population sizes deserve plenty of high quality investment put into them, and that includes for important exciting forms of investment such as for economy, architecture, urban amenities, entertainment options, nightlife, restaurants, cafes/espresso bars, diversity in options etc.

Sometimes it appears too biased towards cities with the largest population size. It should also be for medium and smaller sized cities/towns.

Europe does a better job than the USA for investment/development into small population sized cities.

Geneva, Nice, Cannes, Grenoble, Chamonix, Lille, Bayonne, Bordeaux, Nantes, Strasbourg, Rennes, Innsbruck, Linz, Graz, Bergen, Salzburg, Sanremo, Venice, San Sebastian, and Ibiza are proof of that.

However, the USA still has some good enough small cities too such as Burlington, Provincetown, Asheville, Olympia, Port Townsend, Eureka, Boulder, Telluride, Aspen, and Vail, even if they probably don’t compare to Europe’s best small cities.

Last edited by ; 11-12-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Stratford, Ontario definitely has a great downtown for a town of 30,000 people.

It has a nice park along a lake right next to downtown:
Stratford, ON - Google Maps

It has a great city hall and courthouse, several commercial streets and a major centre for theatre that's quite popular with Torontonians.
City Hall: Stratford, ON - Google Maps

It would benefit from revitalizing Market Square though (currently a parking lot): Stratford, ON - Google Maps
And developing a few other parking lots.

Guelph, Ontario has a nice downtown too, with several old limestone buildings: Guelph, ON - Google Maps

And Brockville, Ontario, which only has about 20,000 residents: Brockville, ON - Google Maps

Then there's Kingston, Brockville's bigger neighbour, it was Canada's capital for a short period of time.
Kingston, ON - Google Maps

St John's, Newfoundland; Saint John, New Brunswick; and Sherbrooke and Trois-Rivieres in Quebec have nice downtowns too. Saint John actually feels much bigger than it is, it has a bit over 100,000 in the metro area but could easily pass for a city 5 times bigger with all the impressive masonry buildings:
St John, NB - Google Maps
St John, NB - Google Maps
http://goo.gl/maps/yCMVv
http://goo.gl/maps/JNSCX

More pics here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166223

Saint John could use a bit of re-investment though, some of the buildings and streets look run-down. There's also gaps in the urban fabric.

Last edited by memph; 11-12-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
Chagrin Falls, OH

Hudson, OH

Williams, AZ

Prescott, AZ

San Luis Obispo, CA

Mountain Village, CO

Telluride, CO

Steamboat Springs, CO

Idaho Springs, CO

Cave Creek, AZ (more tourist-y but I love it!)

I hear Leadville, CO is nice too but have never been

Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
Staunton VA

Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
stillwater, mn

http://www.stcroixadvisors.com/_mod_...lwater__mn.jpg

stillwater,mn - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning