U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 12 days ago)

3,889 posts, read 6,389,018 times

Advertisements

Do downtown markets work with limited parking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:14 PM

19,339 posts, read 16,659,295 times
Yes - but only in areas where the is either a walkable population or tranist to support it

Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 PM

7,589 posts, read 8,483,755 times
Sure they do. If they are focused on serving the needs of the neighborhood, and there are enough potential customers, they don't need any parking at all. A larger or more complete market often needs at least a little parking, but in busy neighborhoods they may have to contend with those who use their parking lot for purposes other than visiting their store! I noticed in West Los Angeles that the Trader Joe's had a parking attendant to ensure that those who parked were actually there to shop at their store...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 PM

28,580 posts, read 14,779,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
A larger or more complete market often needs at least a little parking, but in busy neighborhoods they may have to contend with those who use their parking lot for purposes other than visiting their store! I noticed in West Los Angeles that the Trader Joe's had a parking attendant to ensure that those who parked were actually there to shop at their store...
That's a bummer. The Whole Foods in Cambridge, MA doesn't check so I can leave my car there for a few days when I visit friends.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,028 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's a bummer. The Whole Foods in Cambridge, MA doesn't check so I can leave my car there for a few days when I visit friends.
That's pretty amazing. I once got a ticket, in the suburbs, for leaving my car in a grocery store parking lot all day.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 AM

8,467 posts, read 7,084,132 times
My mother goes to Reading terminal in Philadelphia, even though she lives over ten miles away. I guess so!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 AM

28,580 posts, read 14,779,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's pretty amazing. I once got a ticket, in the suburbs, for leaving my car in a grocery store parking lot all day.
They haven't caught me yet. So I guess it's ok.

I try to find a spot off in a corner somewhere that would be less popular with customers.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 12 days ago)

3,889 posts, read 6,389,018 times
There would be minimal parking at this Whole Foods in downtown. The downtown serves the wealthiest and most educated customers of the whole city. The other location has more parking, but is near the university and the immediate area isn't that wealthy but the 3 mile radius is.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,028 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
There would be minimal parking at this Whole Foods in downtown. The downtown serves the wealthiest and most educated customers of the whole city. The other location has more parking, but is near the university and the immediate area isn't that wealthy but the 3 mile radius is.
Wealthy people don't drive? Only if they have their own drivers.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 AM

10,142 posts, read 14,912,220 times
Many wealthy people don't drive -- and don't use drivers. Obviously many wealthy people DO drive, too, but it's reasonable to expect that the rich people living in urban areas are attracted to the walkability factor. Besides, if they're that wealthy, they don't need to do their bulky shopping themselves, anway! (seriously, though, I've often encountered this assumption that rich people don't walk, and that's just not true. When we lived in DC, for example, I knew a number of very wealthy people who chose to walk to work, to restaurants, and just out and around the neighborhood, including to run errands.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning