U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:04 PM

84,967 posts, read 98,814,535 times

Advertisements

What I am trying to say is that some of us old-timers (including, perhaps,wburg?) have "passed this way before". WE weren't going to live in the burbs. Here are a few songs from MY generation:

1962 (A little early for me, but this is a good example of how long it's been going on):

Song Lyrics to Little Boxes, by Malvina Reynolds
V1: Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

1967:
Monkees Song Lyrics (http://www.monkees.net/DOCS/LYRICS/PLEASANT.htm - broken link)
Another Pleasant Valley Sunday
Charcoal burning everywhere
Rows of houses that are all the same
And no one seems to care

(And more)

~1970, the year I graduated from college:
Chicago - Graham Nash (Lyrics and Chords)

We can change the world
Rearrange the world
It's dying - if you believe in justice
It's dying - and if you believe in freedom
It's dying - let a man live his own life
It's dying - rules and regulations
Who needs them, open up the door

If you don't think we were rebellious, think again.

Regarding houses, the homes built in the late 70s and early 80s were pretty modest, starter homes. Our first neighborhood had houses ~1200 sq. ft - 2000 sf max. McMansions came later.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I don't mind anyone going on about anything, so long as I'm not accused of moral superiority.
OK, sanctimony then!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:33 PM

4,779 posts, read 7,340,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I live in the city, and paid 3x as much what I'd pay for my condo if it were in the suburbs. Moreover, my city, DC, is less Hispanic and Asian than its outer Virginia suburbs, and my immediate neighborhood, like most urban hipster/yuppie enclaves, is far whiter than any suburb around here.
It really depends on the city and neighborhood. Youngstown doesn't really have any "hipster/yuppie enclaves" so every neighborhood is significantly less expensive than its suburban counterparts. Cleveland, Columbus, and Pittsburgh do have gentrified neighborhoods, and I believe these neighborhoods are still comparable in price to their equivalent suburbs.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,635,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Around here, the willingness of millenials to move to/stay in the city is partially because our generation tends not to see people unlike us as a threat.
Might be some truth in that statement. Not because our generation is more "virtuous" or anything like that, but because urban crime rates aren't as high as they were when previous generations were our age (at least crime was higher from the early 70s-90s). I'm sure it was quite rational to leave the cities when there were urban riots. Now, they are (and hopefully will stay) a distant memory.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 PM

8,325 posts, read 14,063,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian88 View Post
I also think there will be a backlash against open floor plans. We youngun's like rooms. They create atmosphere and privacy and remind us of our teenage bedrooms. We want that feeling in the living room, kitchen, and back yard too.

The GenXers do seem to be transitional. Some are going the way of their parents, some are pioneering the way that the Millenials are going, but they're not as vocal about it. They don't want to be too exuberant and then be embarrassed by it later, like when they look at pictures of their parents being hippies when they were younger.
Not sure what you were doing in the early nineties (if you're a Millenial maybe you were watching Barney the Dinosaur) but Xers of similar bent had pictures that make the boomers' hippie shots look pretty tame (and in the case of the retro-sixties scene of the late eighties, pretty much identical)...of course, these days spiky blue hair, tattoos and facial piercings don't even disqualify one from office work anymore.

I'm with you on the open floor plan thing. One reason i like old houses (and dislike wide-open lofts) is because they tend to have a lot of little rooms for various purposes. Gives a more labyrinthine feel.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Not sure what you were doing in the early nineties (if you're a Millenial maybe you were watching Barney the Dinosaur) but Xers of similar bent had pictures that make the boomers' hippie shots look pretty tame (and in the case of the retro-sixties scene of the late eighties, pretty much identical)...of course, these days spiky blue hair, tattoos and facial piercings don't even disqualify one from office work anymore.

I'm with you on the open floor plan thing. One reason i like old houses (and dislike wide-open lofts) is because they tend to have a lot of little rooms for various purposes. Gives a more labyrinthine feel.
Yes, I agree we were pretty tame in 1970 by later standards. We thought wire-rim glasses were radical, and we wore (gasp!) jeans in public, not just to wash the floors or work outside, as had been the case in previous years.

My house preference is a two story, so there is some separation of the living and sleeping areas. G*d forbid anyone would have seen my daughter's bedroom!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM

135 posts, read 211,064 times
If you pay close attention to statistics, you'll see that population declines in urban cities are coming to a stalemate and will soon reverse. That's because those of us born in the early-mid 80's are moving back to the city. It has nothing to do with "saving the world" or any other facetious statement of the sort. We like efficiency, character and we're an extremely educated generation that foresees the benefits of city over suburban life.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
If you pay close attention to statistics, you'll see that population declines in urban cities are coming to a stalemate and will soon reverse. That's because those of us born in the early-mid 80's are moving back to the city. It has nothing to do with "saving the world" or any other facetious statement of the sort. We like efficiency, character and we're an extremely educated generation that foresees the benefits of city over suburban life.
Ah, the arrogance of youth! Or is it ignorance? Statistics will not tell you what is going to happen. Statistics can also be manipulated to say anything you want them to say.

The articles themselves are not relevant to this thread, but they are interesting. I'm just pointing out the titles.

Dealing with the arrogance of youth - Times Online

Evolutionblog: <B>The Arrogance of Youth</B>

getting past words: The Ignorance of Youth

How credit card companies prey on the ignorance of youth - Credit Cards - Helium

Trust me, there's lots more!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ah, the arrogance of youth! Or is it ignorance? Statistics will not tell you what is going to happen. Statistics can also be manipulated to say anything you want them to say.

The articles themselves are not relevant to this thread, but they are interesting. I'm just pointing out the titles.

Dealing with the arrogance of youth - Times Online

Evolutionblog: <B>The Arrogance of Youth</B>

getting past words: The Ignorance of Youth

How credit card companies prey on the ignorance of youth - Credit Cards - Helium

Trust me, there's lots more!

You all can try to deny we aren't more intelligent all you want, but my generation is a click away from answering just about everything.

And the trend is to move back to the cities, the numbers are there...just like the numbers are there for every previous generation showing racism and 'White Flight' out of the city. Then moving to some generically manufactured utopia of low crime and great schools. Or so they say.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 AM

For Generation Y, American dream becomes an apartment in the city - JSOnline

I'll also argue that my generation will be portable. The previous generations put way too much value in home ownership, to the point where they became so obsessed it caused an economic crash. My generation is more content with not having a 30 year old mortgage and being binded to a corporation that couldn't care less for them. We've got a different mindset. More frugal, efficient and as the random article above from another country stated...we're arrogant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or