Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,281,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
a 2600 sq ft McMansion makes a statement that they are successful, they go out in the newburbs and buy in a gated community full of HOA CC&Rs.

Older boomer here--will someone please explain who these people are who purchased McMansions and live in gated communities with HOAs? (don't know what CC&Rs is.)
I don't know of anyone my age who would be caught DEAD living in a McMansion--they are hideous and wasteful.
CC&Rs are covenants, conditions and restrictions that "run with the land." It is the legal document that backs up the power of an HOA. It is the document that states you have to get permission from an architectural review board if you want to install new windows, states you must use your garage to store the car and nothing else, and that you aren't allowed to dry your laundry on a clothesline. HOAs and CC&Rs aren't mutually inclusive. Your property can have a CC&R on file with the county without an HOA.

Outside Sacramento there is a once-small town turned into an exburb called Lincoln. It is full of retiring and retired boomers who live in gated communities and planned communities governed by HOAs. In the US, gated communities have little to do with crime and more to do with a sense of exclusivity.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This article is nonsense. I lived in NYC and found everyday life to be unreasonably uncomfortable. After a year and a half of true urban living, I was clamoring to be back in the suburbs. It's tiring to walk around everywhere. I'd much rather have a car to go places. Not to mention, walking in the windy, cold streets is NOT fun. The article is true, however, that I don't care to have a large house. Something modest would do fine, but I would like to have plenty of yard space for privacy and doing things outside.
I'd find it more frustrating for the only way of getting around to involving sitting still in a metal box. Cold and windy is solved by dressing well except on coldest days.

I have a friend in suburban New Jersey who can't walk anywhere; he's rather irritated.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,926,828 times
Once suburbs were built, future generations were stuck with them. The more suburbs are subsidized, the more affordable they are relative to the (safe parts of) the city, and the more young people will be have to live in them. Give us a level playing field, then you'd see what people truly prefer.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Once suburbs were built, future generations were stuck with them. The more suburbs are subsidized, the more affordable they are relative to the (safe parts of) the city, and the more young people will be have to live in them. Give us a level playing field, then you'd see what people truly prefer.
Please tell me what kind of subsidies suburbs get that cities do not.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,894,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd find it more frustrating for the only way of getting around to involving sitting still in a metal box. Cold and windy is solved by dressing well except on coldest days.

I have a friend in suburban New Jersey who can't walk anywhere; he's rather irritated.
I never had a problem with sitting in a car. You get a comfortable cushy seat, heat/AC, radio, and a roof to cover yourself from the rain. Oh, and a trunk to carry all the stuff you buy. Walking everywhere sucks. I've done it. But of course, to each his own, right?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 PM

135 posts, read 247,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
There's something here that no one has mentioned and the article didn't mention. People will move where there are peers for their kids and good pubic schools. If that's in a neighborhood w/ big houses where you need a car, that's where they'll ultimately end up. Simple, really. People who come to Fort Lauderdale are forced to choose cute walking downtown area OR suburbs with kids and good schools. If there are areas with both, they'd make a tremendous investment and Id love to know where they are.
You're assuming we won't improve inner city schools by bringing a tax base back to the city. Which we will.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Walking everywhere sucks. I've done it. But of course, to each his own, right?
Yep, to each his own. I've done it, and I was usually happy with it.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,992,030 times
As a 22yo, I would love to live in a vibrant area that is highly walkable. If that means moving to the city, then so be it. I don't like living in large spaces; give me something small that I can manage to clean and upkeep. I don't want to own a home at this stage in my life...an apartment is suitable for my needs. Cars are nice, but I cannot afford the monthly car payments or the car insurance; I've got student loans to pay! I'd rather walk home tipsy from the bar than drive home tipsy. I fit the younger generation I-don't-want-to-live-in-the-suburbs stereotype, so sue me!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 AM

630 posts, read 1,047,422 times
its the media darganit!!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please tell me what kind of subsidies suburbs get that cities do not.
The fact that the older cities/suburbs are sending their tax dollars for roads, schools, and other infastructure in the newer suburbs at the expense of the cities/older suburbs.

I also think alot of this has to deal with the fact that alot of young professionals are delaying or putting off marriage/children entirely so things like school systems tend to be less of a factor at least earlier on. The main reason the birth rate has remained level is mostly because of immigration.

Also what the article failed to mention is that a sizable percentage of baby boomers are also moving back into the city, mostly the empty nester types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.