Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,635,789 times

Advertisements

Why do studies show that people in the suburbs are happier than those in cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:07 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
Because more woud move if they could ahieve it really. The cities became popualtted because of survival in jobs ;not by actauly wanting to, Now days inducxtry can get transportation and energy outside central sities so they also move because of cost and to where the workers with skills are.It started after WWII with workewrsw while those inpoverty moved to city for more benfits at same time from industrial tax base.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why do studies show that people in the suburbs are happier than those in cities?
Do they control for demographics?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 AM

8,679 posts, read 17,189,509 times
And where are these studies? Links? References? Magazine articles?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,708,718 times
I did my own personal study, first living in downtown SLC, then exurbia (30 miles from downtown) and now inner suburbia (12 miles from downtown).

I have conclusively found I am happier now in the middle, not too far away but far enough to escape the negative aspects of the center.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM

41,721 posts, read 74,654,678 times
I'd venture to say there are as many opinions about this as there are people. So .... It depends?

When I lived in Cleveland and Cincinnati, I was much happier living in the city. Now that I've moved to Philadelphia, I'm happier living outside the city. Why? Higher income taxes, higher cost of living, too many people crammed too close together.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
Well then, I've done my own personal study, too, and have found that I'm much happier in the city! Granted, I wouldn't be happy in just any city or in just any city neighborhood, and I know that there are some suburban neighborhoods that would also make me happy.

And for those who say people would leave the city if they could, plenty would also move in if THEY could; when we lived in San Francisco, for example, there were tons of people who felt forced out the suburbs because they couldn't afford to raise a family in the city. They preferred to live in the city, but sometimes economics don't make that feasible.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,827,207 times
I have lived in both rural CT and in midtown Manhattan. I am now living in suburban CT. I have to say, life is the best in the suburbs. It's quiet, no one bothers me. Less traffic, stress, and life is just easier in general, because I have a car and can transport goods in the trunk of my car insted of carrying everything on the streets walking. City life definitely has its advantages, however. But I think the advantages of suburban life far outwweigh those of city life. I could live in any environment and be happy, but my preference is for suburban.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,670,834 times
It seems like happiness would almost completely depend on the individual. Some people are simply going to be happier living in the suburbs, others will be happier living in the city. Personally, as long as I have some form of public transit and walkable/bikeable access to all of my needs, I wouldn't care if I were living in suburbs, the middle of a big city, or some medium sized town in between. Actually my happiness would be much more dependent on the climate, I think.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I did my own personal study, first living in downtown SLC, then exurbia (30 miles from downtown) and now inner suburbia (12 miles from downtown).

I have conclusively found I am happier now in the middle, not too far away but far enough to escape the negative aspects of the center.
Well, that is what counts, your own personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It seems like happiness would almost completely depend on the individual. Some people are simply going to be happier living in the suburbs, others will be happier living in the city. Personally, as long as I have some form of public transit and walkable/bikeable access to all of my needs, I wouldn't care if I were living in suburbs, the middle of a big city, or some medium sized town in between. Actually my happiness would be much more dependent on the climate, I think.
Abraham Lincoln once said "people are about as happy as they want to be". He had a point. Frankly, I find my personal quality of life much better in the suburban city where I live than it was in the city (Denver/Pittsburgh).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning