U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM

2,286 posts, read 814,115 times
I'm 25 y/o, so I guess I fall under this category of Gen-Y.

I'd like a small 2-3BR ranch style house (approx. 1500 sq. ft.) with a possible basement. Depending on where you live, a basement can be a life-saver during the hot months. The yard wouldn't be too big. Is 1 acre considered big? I'd just want enough room for a porch and a small garden. Bike paths are important to me, since I'm an avid cyclist. Where I live now, they actually have some good trails in the city and in surrounding areas. Public transportation would be available and efficient. I'd still own my own mode of transportation for the simple fact that public transit doesn't always fit into my schedule or final destinations.

The town/city I'd live in would have a small town center. Though I'd prefer a more organic setting, I've grown a liking to some of the pre-planned, pre-fab downtowns that have been popping up. Some of those are pretty cool and they have everything one would look for in a downtown (bars, restaurants, shopping, theaters, etc.) Diversity is also very important. I want access to good Chinese, Japanese, European, and Middle Eastern cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 PM

8,591 posts, read 6,311,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm 26 yo so I think I'm Gen Y, right?

Anyway, I want to live in a suburb, with anywhere between 400 and 1,200 people per square mile. Not too dense, not too sparsely populated. I want a small house (1,000 - 1,500 sq ft) with a private yard and plenty of spacing between neighboring homes (no neighbors is even better). I want to be within a 10-15 min drive of major shopping. Pretty average, right?
Hey, want to buy a house in Tennessee?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM

302 posts, read 309,333 times
Either an environment like NYC or Miami

Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM

848 posts, read 766,554 times
I'm Generation Y.

I was born in New York City and spent some of my childhood there, and some of it in a somewhat exurban environment. In a suburban strip just outside of a small town interspersed with farmland 15 minutes away from a small city (Reading, PA) and a little over an hour from a major city (Philadelphia).

I had always wanted to live in an urban walkable neighborhood again - and last year I moved to Center City Philadelphia, and have been enjoying every minute of it. It's pretty perfect for me. I think the only way I would ever leave it is if I magically got a job offer for big money in New York City, or if any of the smaller cities or larger towns in Southeastern PA really got their act together in restoring walkable downtowns.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 AM

24,303 posts, read 28,698,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
The yard wouldn't be too big. Is 1 acre considered big? I'd just want enough room for a porch and a small garden.
Yes, one acre is considered big, for what you want. My expansive 0.13 acres allows me a sizeable vegetable garden, a few fruit trees, a porch and a patio, and enough room to throw a frisbee or chip a golf ball (without ticking off the neighbors ). And mowing the lawn takes less than half an hour.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 AM

627 posts, read 541,169 times
My house is on about 12,000 square feet (the lot...my house isn't 12,000 sf). That's a pretty good size, for me. Space for a deck, space for lots of landscaping, space for a garden if I ever replant it...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 AM

11,124 posts, read 8,894,842 times
Well, imagine that. Some Y'ers want to live in the center of the city, some want to live in the suburbs, just like normal people from any other generation.

Whodathunkit?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,819,918 times
As a gen Y, my ideal environment would also be Manhattan. I put a big premium on access to people, amenities, and entertainment. I get bored easily and would go stir crazy in a traditional suburb or small town. Also, I really dislike those generic 2-4 story apartment complexes that you typically find in the suburbs. I can't understand how those things ever came to be. On one hand you have people living in a high density environment, but because those complexes are almost always isolated all by themselves you have none of walkability of a dense urban environment. I just don't get it...

Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM

8,591 posts, read 6,311,679 times
Well I'm on the border of Generation X and Y, and I think my ideal environment would be a town that is not overly large, say 80-100,000 people, but with a vibrant, interesting downtown area, good bike/walkability, and decent public transportation. I'm not sure I could live in a large city, but I definitely wouldn't want to live in a tiny town, either.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM

5,430 posts, read 4,098,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
As a gen Y, my ideal environment would also be Manhattan. I put a big premium on access to people, amenities, and entertainment. I get bored easily and would go stir crazy in a traditional suburb or small town. Also, I really dislike those generic 2-4 story apartment complexes that you typically find in the suburbs. I can't understand how those things ever came to be. On one hand you have people living in a high density environment, but because those complexes are almost always isolated all by themselves you have none of walkability of a dense urban environment. I just don't get it...
It's just a cheap way to house a few hundred people in a small area. It's also a business. Someone is getting rich from it. I live in one of these and don't really like it at all. I'd rather have a private house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning