Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As a people Americans have been taught by TV news, programs and advertizers to be afrid of their own shadows and every thing else. The object is to reduce the population's ability and desire to think clearly. Good luck on finding a place in the US not filled with fearful people.

This shopuld probably be on the Politics Forum but seems an applicable response to progmac's comment.
yeah, no kidding. i may suggest that the general fear level is lower closer to central cities and higher in the suburbs, but this is not a universal truth at all and i am reminded of that often. the problem is everywhere. it is sort of nice to see someone else acknowledge it.

i remember when i came back from living overseas for some years and i tried to bake some bread with a quarter in it for a family dinner. whoever got the quarter would have good luck. something like this is a common tradition in many countries. anyhow, i was immediately chided for introducing both a choking hazard and apparently a disease carrier. "welcome back to the USA" i thought to myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
yeah, no kidding. i may suggest that the general fear level is lower closer to central cities and higher in the suburbs, but this is not a universal truth at all and i am reminded of that often. the problem is everywhere. it is sort of nice to see someone else acknowledge it.

i remember when i came back from living overseas for some years and i tried to bake some bread with a quarter in it for a family dinner. whoever got the quarter would have good luck. something like this is a common tradition in many countries. anyhow, i was immediately chided for introducing both a choking hazard and apparently a disease carrier. "welcome back to the USA" i thought to myself.
I doubt that. Most people feel their own neighborhood is quite safe. Other neighborhoods, particularly unfamiliar ones, are considered dangerous, IMO.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
for me, it's all about a walkable, historic neighborhood. and some place where people aren't afraid of their own shadows. it is also important that i can walk home after having some drinks.
There are a couple people who mentioned they like historic buildings/neighborhoods.

I'm an old house junkie and it warms my heart to see the younger generation appreciates them. I felt like I was the only one...

Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
There are a couple people who mentioned they like historic buildings/neighborhoods.

I'm an old house junkie and it warms my heart to see the younger generation appreciates them. I felt like I was the only one...
nope. I'm in my mid 20s and am in neighborhood with houses from around 1900. And the house I live in is from 1865.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Reminds me of a brief conversation I had with an graduating Harvard student while waiting for a flight at Logan Airport. I asked her if she was planning to stay around Boston after graduating, and she replied "No, I'm returning to California ( Sacramento); everything is just too old here" (paraphrasing)..

I suppose that if you're accustomed to postwar ranches and split-levels, then Boston's 1750ish brick colonials might feel like you were living in a time warp, but perhaps not to everyone....

Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:

The Gen Y's are populating our historic neighborhood big-time,
SOUTH PARK San Diego
South Park Homes
its great to see some new blood in the area and the renovation of 100 y.o. homes and gardens- also, a lot of independent shops, restaurants and pubs have opened up here recently to serve this population- makes it better for everybody. Keep on coming "kids" we like you haha

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
I'm an old house junkie and it warms my heart to see the younger generation appreciates them.
Until -- no matter which generation the homeowner belongs to -- they go tearing down walls, ripping out (or painting) original woodwork and hardware, and replacing original wood floors with engineered hardwoods.

*shudder*

Disclaimer: The kid who bought my former house painted over every splinter of woodwork that I painstakingly stripped and restored. I'm still a little bitter.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Until -- no matter which generation the homeowner belongs to -- they go tearing down walls, ripping out (or painting) original woodwork and hardware, and replacing original wood floors with engineered hardwoods.

*shudder*

Disclaimer: The kid who bought my former house painted over every splinter of woodwork that I painstakingly stripped and restored. I'm still a little bitter.
I would be too... This kid likes history though and my place is almost all origional, even down to the hardware. Education is the answer! You'd have to be an idiot to swap solid iron, brass, hardwood, handcarved, ect stuff for plated and pressed made in china junk.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,106,783 times
I want a minimum of a quarter section with a hill where I can build a replica of Monticello.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:

One difference is that for folks in their twenties, a 1950s Mid-Century or International Style building often counts as an "old house" in the same way as a Craftsman bungalow or a Queen Anne. A lot of Silent/Boomer/Greatest preservation advocates I know simply can't stand the multitude of 40s-60s apartment buildings, many of which demolished beautiful 19th century homes, but to Xers and Yers, they were affordable apartments that are now old enough to have a certain level of funkiness, especially for those with an appreciation for boomerang tables, Melmac tableware and Googie artifacts.

Where I live, a mid-century modern homes tour drew twice as many people as the biggest traditional "historic home" tour of a bungalow neighborhood.

MassVT: Sacramento is actually pretty old by West Coast standards--but yeah, other than a handful of missions and adobes scattered throughout the state, there isn't much standing here older than the 1840s. But some of us like old things, even if we count 1950s space-age diners as "old things."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning