Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM

3,295 posts, read 6,989,347 times

Advertisements

I am curious about it actually in terms of numbers/stats. There is a lot of discussion about which cities are easiest to live in without having to own a car and where you can get by with other methods like public transit, biking, walking etc. There seem to be a lot of stats available related to this (such as public transit use, % of people who commute to work by various means) but not directly showing how many people actually live without it completely.

A thought to came to me as to whether there are stats on how many people actually do live car-less. Obviously the number would be no doubt very low for most cities (it could either be those who can't afford it, or even those that choose to not have one out of choice/lifestyle).

It would be intriguing to see for US cities or maybe other cities in the world such as Australian, Canadian, British, European etc.

Anyone know where this kind of statistic (if at all) could be found?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 AM

332 posts, read 1,014,116 times
there's a 101 city list on the lowest percentage of people who drive to work.
http://www.city-data.com/top2/h30.html

Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,177,863 times
Here's an interesting worldwide comparison of larger worldwide cities:

http://urban-age.net/10_cities/_data...00_01_COCD.jpg

and some more charts:

Urban Age | Conferences | Mumbai

Scroll down and click on the button to the right of "moving in the city"

Old 03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,177,863 times

for the numbers see:

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I am curious about it actually in terms of numbers/stats. There is a lot of discussion about which cities are easiest to live in without having to own a car and where you can get by with other methods like public transit, biking, walking etc. There seem to be a lot of stats available related to this (such as public transit use, % of people who commute to work by various means) but not directly showing how many people actually live without it completely.

A thought to came to me as to whether there are stats on how many people actually do live car-less. Obviously the number would be no doubt very low for most cities (it could either be those who can't afford it, or even those that choose to not have one out of choice/lifestyle).

It would be intriguing to see for US cities or maybe other cities in the world such as Australian, Canadian, British, European etc.

Anyone know where this kind of statistic (if at all) could be found?
You can find the stats about # cars per household, broken down by owners and renters, right here on CD. Here are the stats for Denver. You will have to scroll through the page to find it.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...-Colorado.html

Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,092,309 times
The Carfree Census Database

"Most carfree households" should be what you're looking for.

It's only from the 2000 census, though, but I don't think they even bothered to ask for the 2010 census, so nobody would have that data.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,445,780 times
Human Transit: three paths to a low-car city

Good reading on the subject.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Interesting read!

It's more than I expected -- some of those stats actually surprised me by being higher than I'd think based on an "autocentric" impression. I didn't realize the ranges for the figures were so close to a quarter or more or the households not having cars for dozens of cities.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 AM

5,496 posts, read 9,437,339 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Based on these stats, you could assume that only 85.6% of Ohio residents of driving age actually have a driver's license, for example.

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Based on these stats, you could assume that only 85.6% of Ohio residents of driving age actually have a driver's license, for example.
Hmmm... I guess the numbers kind of surprise me because if those stats are what they are, as there are many states in the 80-90% range, that means you expect one to two out of every ten people you meet not to drive. That sounds way too high (if I only go by impression), even in cities. I rarely meet people in either the US or Canada who don't at least drive some of the time (even those who rely on public transit for a lot of the time etc.).

Also, as a side note, if I'm reading it right how can there be more licensed drivers than people who are of legal driving age (for Vermont and Alabama?).

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning