U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 PM

12,534 posts, read 15,685,575 times

Advertisements

"The failure of most American cities to connect their airports to downtown with trains (or to do so hopelessly after the fact) will go down as yet another of our great infrastructure blunders." - John Kasarda/Greg Lindsay, "Aerotropolis." While I suppose you can excuse Indianapolis, Columbus and Kansas City, which haven't even gotten around to building their first rail transit line, what about Buffalo, New Orleans, Pittsburg, Houston, Salt Lake City, Memphis, and many others that have rail transit lines but they don't reach the airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,973,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
"The failure of most American cities to connect their airports to downtown with trains (or to do so hopelessly after the fact) will go down as yet another of our great infrastructure blunders."
Totally ridiculous nonsense! Rail to the airport is mostly underutilized. I live in San Francisco and could take Bart to the airport. However when going on a long trip I will be taking at least one or two heavy suitcases. How am I going to manage these on a crowded train? Why would I want to? I will just book a limo to the airport or have a friend drive me to the airport. Also it is much faster to drive unless there is rush hour traffic.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,956,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
"The failure of most American cities to connect their airports to downtown with trains (or to do so hopelessly after the fact) will go down as yet another of our great infrastructure blunders." - John Kasarda/Greg Lindsay, "Aerotropolis." While I suppose you can excuse Indianapolis, Columbus and Kansas City, which haven't even gotten around to building their first rail transit line, what about Buffalo, New Orleans, Pittsburg, Houston, Salt Lake City, Memphis, and many others that have rail transit lines but they don't reach the airport?
Ah Chicago's didn't reach the airports till the 80ies(EL-O'Hare) and 90ies(El-Midway),(Metra-O'Hare). Honestly although the routes are packed with people and both routes were successful, I can not in good faith suggest using the el to get to and from O'Hare unless you pack very light.Lugging luggage on the el is not fun.Metra is not much better in the lugging luggage part but only runs like 11 trains a day on that route sometimes with as much as two hours between. Metra's only redeeming value is that at least it leaves from Union station.

Where they do help out is Airport workers and people who work in the area(hotel workers) and business travelers they also greatly help out the people living in the areas around the routes they serve and some burbs. The occasional tourist who needs to save money. But for most travelers I would suggest getting a cab or using the hotel shuttles.

Last edited by chirack; 04-09-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 02:46 PM

18,729 posts, read 20,421,833 times
We have bus systems to airports... total POS system... I tried it, took an hour and required trekking through mud... never tried it again... rail to airports is another stupid idea... how are you going to get to downtown? Fly? By the time you get to downtown via taxi (and pay yet another fare for the rail to the airport), you could of gotten a taxi to the airport already for cheaper... not only that dragging luggage around is not as fun as it sounds... mass transit by rail is good for only one thing... for people live and work/tour around it... other than that, its useless...

Old 04-09-2011, 02:52 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,956,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
We have bus systems to airports... total POS system... I tried it, took an hour and required trekking through mud... never tried it again... rail to airports is another stupid idea... how are you going to get to downtown? Fly? By the time you get to downtown via taxi (and pay yet another fare for the rail to the airport), you could of gotten a taxi to the airport already for cheaper... not only that dragging luggage around is not as fun as it sounds... mass transit by rail is good for only one thing... for people live and work/tour around it... other than that, its useless...
He is talking trains to downtown. Chicago's Trains will take you down town and will beat rush hour traffic but the lugging lugugage up the stairs to the Orangle line or Down to the Subway sucks and Metra's frequnecy on that line leaves much to be desired if you are a traveler.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:03 PM

727 posts, read 1,085,816 times
The rail connection in Atlanta works very well. I beleive ALL Marta rail stations have elevators to the platforms so you dont have to carry your luggage up the stairs. some airlines opperate a luggage check IN THE MARTA STATION. The station is also located right in the terminal and is very convenient.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:55 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,580,403 times
I travel for work semi-regularly. It isn't always cost effective to taxi/cab. I did the math one day. Assuming driving to the airport, parking off-site, taking the shuttle it was the same or more time than taking the 45-50 minute train ride. I usually only have one bag and a carry on, but out train cars aren't designed for people with luggage. I think it can work with the right seat layout.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,510,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Totally ridiculous nonsense! Rail to the airport is mostly underutilized. I live in San Francisco and could take Bart to the airport. However when going on a long trip I will be taking at least one or two heavy suitcases. How am I going to manage these on a crowded train? Why would I want to? I will just book a limo to the airport or have a friend drive me to the airport. Also it is much faster to drive unless there is rush hour traffic.
My wife and I used Bart to go into downtown San Fran from the airport (and we had two large bags and two smaller bags to lug). We found it to be cost-effective, quick and enjoyable. I would have hated to take a $50 cab ride from the airport (like I had to in Denver), and I don't know anyone in San Fran to get a ride from.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:10 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,510,064 times
I actually find a connection to the airport to be a HUGE benefit. I travel quite a bit and I know how expensive it can be to get a cab, rent a car or slow it can be to take a bus (depending on the city). Denver is the absolute worst that I can think of. What a long drive, and it was very expensive. They have bus service too, but it's significantly slower and really sucks during rush hour.

I also much prefer to live in a city with a good rail connection, because it's quicker, cheaper and easier than driving (or calling a cab), and I don't have to pay for parking while I'm out of town (which can be EXPENSIVE)

Old 04-10-2011, 01:48 PM

8,332 posts, read 14,845,312 times
Rail transit between cities seems like a higher priority to me: that way, you don't have to take another train downtown, you just end up downtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or