U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against gentrification?
Yes, please flip my 'hood! 49 66.22%
No! Yuppies go home! 25 33.78%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times

Advertisements

Many cities across the nation are undergoing alot of gentrification in areas once considered dangerous/dirty/etc. Just curious how you all felt about it. Are you happy to see yuppies with $$$ moving in and converting old buildings and taking over the neighborhood, or are you against it and wished the neighborhood stay the same and maintain its 'uniqueness'? Some people like the modernization as it brings jobs, better housing, etc, other people cannot stand it as they dont like yuppies and fear they will sooner or later be priced out of their neighborhood.

Share your opinions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 04:27 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,827,055 times
When the yuppies move in they push everyone that was living there out.Than they build condos that cost $500,000 or more,or townhouses.Im not for that.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,730,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Many cities across the nation are undergoing alot of gentrification in areas once considered dangerous/dirty/etc. Just curious how you all felt about it. Are you happy to see yuppies with $$$ moving in and converting old buildings and taking over the neighborhood, or are you against it and wished the neighborhood stay the same and maintain its 'uniqueness'? Some people like the modernization as it brings jobs, better housing, etc, other people cannot stand it as they dont like yuppies and fear they will sooner or later be priced out of their neighborhood.

Share your opinions....

I think this is an excellent topic for discussion. I'm strongly against gentrification because it has tremendous imact on communities, mainly those that are poor. But that's not the only reason, we're talking about preservation of historic buildings, landmarks, architecture and community. Having the wealthy elite move in is going to cause a major condo/loft conversions to take place and there goes the neighborhood. If you don't have the $$$$ you can't live here. Aside from the money, old communities should be respected and their "flavor" preserved.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM

Thats what Im saying.A good example is the Cabrini-Green neighborhood in Chicago.As bad as those projects were,its going to tear apart friendships and maybe even families.And of course thier putting up townhouses.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM

554 posts, read 2,279,429 times
I am for it, since it makes city living more attractive, even though it may be more expensive.. and it helps the environment (since people that work in the city can use PT to get to work, instead of driving 45+ minutes from their suburb). It also improves neighborhoods.

I'm also against it, however. When you push these poor people out of their neighborhoods, where will they be going? To the suburbs, where it's more affordable in some areas.. Most likely, they won't have the same values as people that take care of their communities (that's why their commuties have been gentrified) , so the area goes downhill, as people flee so that their quality of life doesn't decrease.

So basically, nothings being solved. Just a movement of people.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM

Rich people want to live in the city,but they don't want to live side by side by poor blacks so they tear down there neighborhoods.Those poorer blacks are now probably going to move away from the city to the suburbs,where they will now be cut off from the city.And its harder to get around when your poor than it is when your rich.Gentrification would be alright with me if people weren't being pushed out of thier neighborhoods.Why can't the rich people live by the poorer blacks?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:21 PM

430 posts, read 1,281,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
When the yuppies move in they push everyone that was living there out.Than they build condos that cost $500,000 or more,or townhouses.Im not for that.
Neither am I.

-But I would like it if more poor and/or blighted neighborhoods revitalized WITHOUT becoming havens for only yuppies or being torn down. When a neighborhood decays to much, that threatens it's history as well. I wish more bad neighborhoods would just become more mixed income and vibrant again. -Actually, quite a few DO just that! -Even though it is not the norm. But unlike with actual gentrification, they don't usually make any headlines as a result of there revival. -Emil.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:21 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Rich people want to live in the city,but they don't want to live side by side by poor blacks so they tear down there neighborhoods.Those poorer blacks are now probably going to move away from the city to the suburbs,where they will now be cut off from the city.And its harder to get around when your poor than it is when your rich.Gentrification would be alright with me if people weren't being pushed out of thier neighborhoods.Why can't the rich people live by the poorer blacks?
Your question presumes that it's only whites who don't want to live next to blacks and not the other way around. I personally know people who moved into gentrifying areas with an idealistic "can't we all just get along" mentality, only to find to their dismay that the answer is "no." This is not a one-way street.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 PM

I don't see an end to segregation in the near future,wether it be blacks shutting out whites,whites shutting out blacks,whatever,there will always be segregation.Alot of my family have a racist attitude,Im thankful to not be racist.I don't even really want to be around my family and race.Most of the whites I've been around are racist or have a racist attitude.Im not saying blacks can't be racist,but I've been around far more racist whites than blacks.Im just going off my expireinces,and these are just my opinions.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,281,875 times
Gentrification doesnt just displace poor blacks, -most poor or low income people in urban America are not even Black. A lot of urban working class white neighborhoods have been gentrified ad well, in addition to many succumbing to white flight. -Emil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or