U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 PM

17,097 posts, read 11,302,960 times
Default "Complete Streets" in wake of Nelson tragedy

Not sure if you guys heard this story out of Georgia:
Transportation For America Prosecuting the victim, absolving the perpetrators

In a nutshell, a m Along the way one child was hit by a drunk driver who was partially blind (history of drunk driving) and died at the scene in a hit and run. The mother and one child also suffered minor injuries. om crossed a 5 line street with 3 kids in tow (after leaving the bus shelter). The nearest crosswalk is .3 mi away from the bus shelter. The final destination is directly across the street.

The sentence:
Driver: 6 months in jail, 5 years probation
Mom: facing 3 years in prision for vehicular manslaughter

Obviously this is a tragic situation, and the mother has been punished enough with the loss of her child. There are lots of issues here: race, class, transit, and the concept of complete streets.

How can planners make sure the streets adapt to the new uses as a neighborhood grows and changes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM

745 posts, read 1,047,078 times
This is so sad. I pray for the young lady and her two kids that are still alive. I've actually rode that bus many times and can say that road Austell Road in Cobb County GA is dangerous. The sidewalks are crumbling or non-existent in many places and alof of important ammenities are located on that street, Walmart, Major Hospital, other Shopping and schools. Very Sprawled and Suburban in Nature.

If I was in the GA legislature I would make it a Felony to hit someone within 10 Feet of a Transit stop not located withing a tenth of a mile of proper predestian crossing area.

I would also make a law where predestian would have to cross within 10 Feet of a Transit stop or face a steep penalty maybe $250 each time with one year probation and if continually getting caught one year in Jail

Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 AM

17,097 posts, read 11,302,960 times
Update: she is headed for a retrial with 12 months of probation. Ridiculous!

Mom granted new trial in death of son struck by driver - CNN

Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM

25,174 posts, read 30,885,109 times
I agree the bus stop should be at the traffic signal. I see it all the time around here: The bus stops are placed closer to the logical destination than to a safe crossing -- if there is a safe crossing at all. I drive by a nursing home every morning; people using the inbound bus stop have to cross four lanes of speeding traffic, and there's no crosswalk, nor is there an intersection or sidewalks nearby.

However, it's the failure of the justice system and of common sense that really irks me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning