Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 01:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times

Advertisements

Haha, This thread is going well.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 08-31-2011 at 01:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Didn't say it was perfect. people spend their time posting lists and all you people do is criticize. Go take a darn tape measure and measure each CBD yourself and then come add something perfect to the thread. Till then stop bellyaching.
Well aren't you a peach. My comment wasn't even directed at you, it was directed at the list. I don't find it to be useful, and shared my opinion on the matter. I don't have to take a tape measure around to know that a list that ranks CBDs by geographic area is pretty much useless. I'm sorry if you take my opinion as a personal criticism but, hey, such is life.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well aren't you a peach. My comment wasn't even directed at you, it was directed at the list. I don't find it to be useful, and shared my opinion on the matter. I don't have to take a tape measure around to know that a list that ranks CBDs by geographic area is pretty much useless. I'm sorry if you take my opinion as a personal criticism but, hey, such is life.
Its not a critism of me, I didn't make the list. I just copied it from another poster, But people on here are too quick to criticize when people try to post data without posting any pf their own.

Instead of arguing over opinion it is nice to get some actual data every now and then.

It would be nice if posters say, this data is out of date, here is an updated version.

I would say thanks, but all the time all people do is just point out errors and don't post anything to back themselves up.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:30 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
after 2 comments the tread went off-topic, does C-d have ADD?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Hard to say since the OP defines downtown as the CBD. The geographic footprints of most of the top 15 CBD's seem fairly similar to me. I don't think that I could answer without consulting a map or Google Earth. I'd say that NYC (not including midtown) and Chicago are larger, but not sure which is bigger. DC is probably next. SF, LA, Houston, Dallas, Philly, etc seem fairly close in size.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM

381 posts, read 861,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Could you give an explanation for your choices and your reasoning behind the order you chose? Thats only 7 by the way. Also, Im interested in why you selected certain cities. Some cities on your list have huge parking lots all over and vacant land as well. San Fran at #2? How big is San Frans downtown area in miles squared?
San Francisco has almost no parking lots or vacant land, and the urban core is enormous - you could make the argument it's 1/2 - 1/3 of the entire city.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Not tryna get involved in this convo but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Show me a major city where the sidewalks are small and narrow in the major business district around massive buildings?
I get what your saying and largely agree, however, Some of Downtown SFs most picturesque and memorable streets are actually very narrow streets or alleys with teeny tiny sidewalks.

They add a very special element of charm and humanization to the otherwise rat race of big city life.

Jack Kerouac Alley

http://www.sfcityguides.org/images/guidelines/alley.JPG

Maiden Lane

http://seasonfive.typepad.com/.a/6a0...e6c98833-800wi

Belden Place

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/file.../trademark.jpg

Grant Avenue

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3327/...c9691420_b.jpg

I know this is the case in many cities.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:54 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Hmm lets see some cities with smaller sidewalks in areas of the CBD

Boston, NYC, Philly, SF among the most urban in the country I would think

but thank you for the enlightenment

Wall Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13287098@N07/1519197971/ - broken link)

Wall Street. New York. | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/elsa11/4412893731/ - broken link)
And yet again, you are not showing major arteries. You aren't even showing streets where cars drive lol. Do you think 1,000 people could walk down a main throughway street safely during rush hour on a small sidewalk? If you want to show something accurate, show Market Street which has the most people working. What profession do you work in again? You don't really understand the car-pedestrian relationship. And NYC, has some of the largest sidewalks in the nation. Why do you think that is? I don't even know why Im debating with someone who isn't certified to even talk about these issues.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-31-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Going by what most people in LA would consider "downtown", there are about 500,000 employees and 45,000 residents in about 6 square miles. This is obviously much more than the CBD and includes places like Little Tokyo, the fashion district, toy district, city west, etc. It also includes Chinatown which may be a stretch for most people.

information source and LA Times source

Old 08-31-2011, 02:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Hard to say since the OP defines downtown as the CBD. The geographic footprints of most of the top 15 CBD's seem fairly similar to me. I don't think that I could answer without consulting a map or Google Earth. I'd say that NYC (not including midtown) and Chicago are larger, but not sure which is bigger. DC is probably next. SF, LA, Houston, Dallas, Philly, etc seem fairly close in size.
This thread is just about development. That can be anywhere. If there are buildings without breaks creating urban canyons till the suburbs, then so be it. Just built environment. We aren't drawing imaginary lines here. Now if there is a clear break in development by the naked eye, then that is what you consider if you talking about where the CBD stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning